Hot Shot

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerseyMatt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Midwest
Anyone use one? Do they work well? How far below zero are they effective? We're going to get our first real winter storm on Sunday, and then it's supposed to be highs in the single digits and lows in double digits below zero for the next week with more precip possible. So I'm going to have to make sure nothing freezes to the dish. I was also thinking as a cheap alternative to the hot shot using a roof deicing cable and epoxying it in a spiral to the back of the dish like I did long ago with my 18" dish in NJ (we never got deep freezes like this there). Anyone ever do something like this with a slimline? (The dish is still metal, right? I haven't been up to look at it since it was installed - I don't want to melt it or anything!) Is the 5 LNB still prone to freezing up like the singles were?

As long as it never gets above freezing (and you don't get freezing rain), nothing should stick to the dish. What falls on it should blow or slide off.

The Hot Shot is one of the best solutions, but it is wicked expensive.

coming from someone who lives in MN you shouldnt even need one unless the dish is really up high and cant be reached normally.
We had 3 big snowstorms in December (and one freaking big blizzard) and the little bit of snow that stuck to the slimline melted the next day. Signals were fine. We've been below zero enough already this winter and had no issues ;)

as for the temperature....Skyvision sells something like it (the ice zapper) that specs say works in -60F temps...so I think you'll be OK

Hmm.. Well I guess I'll see how it goes this time.. If it makes it through a MN winter, I guess I should be ok.. :) But on the other hand, do you get ice or just snow? I've seen the ice storms that come through here (the ones that coat everything and bring down power lines and trees), and that's what I'm really concerned with. :)

Hmm.. Well I guess I'll see how it goes this time.. If it makes it through a MN winter, I guess I should be ok.. :) But on the other hand, do you get ice or just snow? I've seen the ice storms that come through here (the ones that coat everything and bring down power lines and trees), and that's what I'm really concerned with. :)

I should cause an issue .... if you get WET snow, thats where you'll get a build up and possibly lose signal.

Like ICE mentioned, where did you put your dish ?
As I always say, if you live in a high SNOW area, WHY would you put your dish on the roof or anywhere NOT accessible ?

I put mine on a post , it actually goes to the roof, but it's a flat roof where it's at and I can get to it pretty easily.

I may lose signal once a year or so, go out dust it off and I'm good.

Each year I think about getting one and never do.
Have you looked at them on the web site ?

both. most of the time its snow but we had a couple ice storms in December too (and one in November)
1st storm we had was that heavy wet concrete type snow and we lost signal for like 3 hours...not because of the snow but the moisture in the clouds was so bad it was like a really bad rain storm passing by....very slowly

I should cause an issue .... if you get WET snow, thats where you'll get a build up and possibly lose signal.

Like ICE mentioned, where did you put your dish ?
As I always say, if you live in a high SNOW area, WHY would you put your dish on the roof or anywhere NOT accessible ?

I put mine on a post , it actually goes to the roof, but it's a flat roof where it's at and I can get to it pretty easily.

I may lose signal once a year or so, go out dust it off and I'm good.

Each year I think about getting one and never do.
Have you looked at them on the web site ?

It's actually not a real high snow area. Notice I said we're getting our first winter storm, and it's January.. :) It wasn't something I really thought about when the guy was mounting it, but it hit me when I was looking at it one day after it was done. I mean it's not 'unaccessible', it's a single story, and it's at the edge of the roof near the gutter. I just don't particularly like the idea of having to get out the ladder in the middle of an ice storm to chip it off..
both. most of the time its snow but we had a couple ice storms in December too (and one in November)
1st storm we had was that heavy wet concrete type snow and we lost signal for like 3 hours...not because of the snow but the moisture in the clouds was so bad it was like a really bad rain storm passing by....very slowly

Good to know!

It's actually not a real high snow area. Notice I said we're getting our first winter storm, and it's January.. :) It wasn't something I really thought about when the guy was mounting it, but it hit me when I was looking at it one day after it was done. I mean it's not 'unaccessible', it's a single story, and it's at the edge of the roof near the gutter. I just don't particularly like the idea of having to get out the ladder in the middle of an ice storm to chip it off..

Good to know!

Super Soaker with RV antifreeze !

Get plenty of snow here and it is usually wet snow.
I had to get up on the deck, stand on a chair, and brush it off with a broom a couple times, but no biggy.
I really do it more because the old couple that lives upstairs never could (shared dish).

I could live without TV for a few hours if I had too. LOL

Freezing rain really doesn't cause too much problems.

Things you can do is spray cooking spray on the dish.
Just don't get it on the LNB.
or
Put a plastic bag over the dish.

Also, un hide your SD channels.
Often if you lose HD, you can still get SD.

Super Soaker with RV antifreeze !

Now I like that idea! :D
Get plenty of snow here and it is usually wet snow.
I had to get up on the deck, stand on a chair, and brush it off with a broom a couple times, but no biggy.
I really do it more because the old couple that lives upstairs never could (shared dish).

I could live without TV for a few hours if I had too. LOL

Freezing rain really doesn't cause too much problems.

Things you can do is spray cooking spray on the dish.
Just don't get it on the LNB.
or
Put a plastic bag over the dish.

Also, un hide your SD channels.
Often if you lose HD, you can still get SD.

Good suggestions.. Didn't think of unhiding SD (if I have a custom list, will it screw that up?).. Does the plastic bag degrade the signal at all? I have some 2 mil plastic sheet that should work.

Now I like that idea! :D

Good suggestions.. Didn't think of unhiding SD (if I have a custom list, will it screw that up?).. Does the plastic bag degrade the signal at all? I have some 2 mil plastic sheet that should work.

Unhiding the SD is something I do if the weather gets really bad and I'm desperate for the show I was watching.
I don't lose signal very often, but it is handy to be able to check the SD side if need be.

You will not lose anything you've got set up in your favorites.

Skyvision sells something like it (the ice zapper) that specs say works in -60F temps...so I think you'll be OK
The Ice Zapper is basically 2 heat-tape strips and a short extension cord. I was really disappointed seeing what it was after I purchased it.

The Hot Shot covers the whole back of the dish and comes with a DC transformer (to be placed indoors) and good length of power cable to get it out to the dish. I ended up going with the Hot Shot when I switched from Dish to DirecTV this summer. Over the last few years snow build-up hasn't really been a problem, but I get wicked huge drifts on that side of my house so I wanted a solution that didn't involve me having to try to get out there to brush off the snow.

This year I've been really happy with the Hot Shot -- it's done a fine job keeping the snow buildup off the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts