How is Closed Captioning working for you?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
It looks like in some channels CC gets skipped sentences or the words are never written or the sound. However, there some channels or programs that it is working perfectly. So I am watching channel 7 (ABC) and it looks fine.

Sean,
I haven't seen any closed captioning on the HD CHANNELS? I have them turned on in the setup of my Mitsubishi 65" widescreen? Captions work fine on the standard channels.

Lem52

CBS is using closed caption on their HD game today. First time I see this. Only problem is that CC on CBS does not work with VOOM stb.

When I tried CC for the first time (on Tuesday or Wednesday), the text was displayed at the bottom above the SurfBar. When I tried it again today it was displayed at the top of the screen. Have they changed something?

Also, on one of the channels (don't remember which one) the text was not scrolling: it's been typed on the same line over and over again. The line was not erased, so some leftovers accumulated at the right portion of the line. Looked strange...

Closed captioning is not working right here. I see captions and then it looks like alot of stuff is said before you see them again. I got new software on Sat. night. CC didn't work at all before that and also not seen any on Hi Definition channels. I noticed that the CC was at the bottom of the screen when it was supposed to be.

Lem52

Lem52 said:
Closed captioning is not working right here. I see captions and then it looks like alot of stuff is said before you see them again. I got new software on Sat. night. CC didn't work at all before that and also not seen any on Hi Definition channels. I noticed that the CC was at the bottom of the screen when it was supposed to be.

Lem52

Which channel(s) were you watching? With CBS CC does not work but for ABC/NBC it works with no problems. It probably has to do with the type of CC CBS is using. The VOOM box is not decoding that very well.

Some of the problems discussed here might be caused by the source, others by the STB or by retransmission. Can someone compare CC on VOOM with with CC on another STB (D* or E*) for the same channel?

Sean Mota said:
Which channel(s) were you watching? With CBS CC does not work but for ABC/NBC it works with no problems. It probably has to do with the type of CC CBS is using. The VOOM box is not decoding that very well.

I was just checking out the standard channels on Voom. I presently don't have my OTA setup yet as the antenna they installed didn't work. I am putting up my own antenna. I should have it up in a couple of days, so I can then check the captions for OTA stuff assuming I get a signal.

Lem52

Houston we have CC on all sd channels and some Local Hd channels.....But NBC the Jay Leno show I still get spanish and english CC at the same time....all others are ok only english.....Has anyone else noticed this?

pdqbobe said:
Houston we have CC on all sd channels and some Local Hd channels.....But NBC the Jay Leno show I still get spanish and english CC at the same time....all others are ok only english.....Has anyone else noticed this?

The NBC must be a local issue. The NBC local here in NYC it is fine. Can you check with another digital receiver or neighbor that might have one?

Sean : I checked again last night with the D* reciever it was ok in english only. The V* box showed both languages at the same time....Also they should move the CC to the bottom of the screen instead of the top.

pdqbobe said:
Sean : I checked again last night with the D* reciever it was ok in english only. The V* box showed both languages at the same time....Also they should move the CC to the bottom of the screen instead of the top.

Then something is wrong with the VOOM decoder. I informed Wilt about this as well. Let's wait until next software patch. It should come quickly.

pdqbobe said:
...But NBC the Jay Leno show I still get spanish and english CC at the same time...
Not to dig up an old thread, but we had a friend over who is deaf tonight and ran into this same problem. Apparently, this hasn't been fixed yet, huh? :no

FunkyBoss said:
Not to dig up an old thread, but we had a friend over who is deaf tonight and ran into this same problem. Apparently, this hasn't been fixed yet, huh? :no
You mean English and Spanish CC appear at the same time on NBC?

I wish CC worked for the operas on Bravo HD+. We would watch them all if we could see an English translation. Kind of important to know what's going on. :(

I have emailed Voom and Bravo. No reply.

FunkyBoss said:
Yes, during Jay Leno, the closed captioning was repeating the same sentence in both English and then in Spanish.
Interesting. By any chance, do you (or anyone else you know of in your area) have an HDTV OTA tuner in the TV set? I wonder if there is a way to figure out whether this is your local station doing this by mistake, or whether it is the STB (combining CC1 with CC2)...

Ilya said:
Interesting. By any chance, do you (or anyone else you know of in your area) have an HDTV OTA tuner in the TV set? I wonder if there is a way to figure out whether this is your local station doing this by mistake, or whether it is the STB (combining CC1 with CC2)...
I actually do have an HD tuner built into my TV. I'll do some testing during the show next week and let you know what I find.

FunkyBoss said:
I actually do have an HD tuner built into my TV. I'll do some testing during the show next week and let you know what I find.
Please do! Not too many areas have bi-lingual CC on NBC-HD. So, this would be a very helpful info. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)