How many people are happy with Blockbuster @ Home?

BB made a net profit of 1million dollars in the 4th Qtr of 2011. The stores closing are the non profitable stores, which will increase the net profit. If the other stores are making money, why close them.

Profitability isn't a given, they're down to 1000 out of more than 4000 stores at their peak. Dish did nothing to suggest the remaining stores were doing well, as far as anyone can tell the more important detail is 1000 leases just aren't up yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Profitability isn't a given, they're down to 1000 out of more than 4000 stores at their peak. Dish did nothing to suggest the remaining stores were doing well, as far as anyone can tell the more important detail is 1000 leases just aren't up yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I think you are exactly right. When the leases come up DISH puts a sign up in the window saying "We are moving!" Then in small print to : Movies | New Releases | DVD Rental | Movie Trailers | Movie Reviews . They are slowly phasing out the brick mortar stores and moving to the internet only model. But they are also phasing out many devices that you could stream on as well. Tivo is phased out , and my Toshiba blu-ray player no longer has Blockbuster. I see Blockbuster being exclusive to DISH customers only . Like Voom before it, I see Blockbuster becoming a memory within a year or two. They might keep the name for the streaming portion of the DISH receivers . But we are seeing the company itself contracting ,not expanding the service to the out side public.

Things are getting better here. I got two disks from BB during February. That's double the one I got in January. Net cost for me was $6 a disk and I returned them the next day. Both were old movies and I could have rented them for $.99 at local BB store. By contrast I got 8 disks from Netflix.

Things are getting better here. I got two disks from BB during February. That's double the one I got in January. Net cost for me was $6 a disk and I returned them the next day. Both were old movies and I could have rented them for $.99 at local BB store. By contrast I got 8 disks from Netflix.

How do come up with it costing you $12 for two movies by mail from BB?

It takes two days for me to get disc. Problem is BB inventory on line is pathetic. Long wait or worse for most movies i want to see while local BB has inventory. Still worth it.

How do come up with it costing you $12 for two movies by mail from BB?

I think that he may have meant the three discs over the two month period costs approx. $6 each ($20 divided by 3= $6.67). Of course using that same logic, that means he got 20+ channels and streaming for two months for free! :D

Math is pretty simple here- My bill increased by $12 when I added the service to get the disks by mail. That includes our high taxes here in FL. Since the service is part of the Satellite bill we get taxed on even mail order DVD rental as a satellite tax. So here the $10 charge becomes $12. If I get 2 disks during month, 12 / 2 = 6 .

I won't count January because they only sent one good disk, the second one was cracked and all scratched up. When I returned it it took them their usual 2 weeks to send out another which became my first disk in February. I got my second disk last Thursday and returned it on Friday. Received e-mail they are processing my next disk on Saturday. I still haven't received it.

If Dish is monitoring these threads, the slow mail center is in Daytona.

With Netflix, I mailed a disk in on Saturday and received the next one on Tuesday.

... I won't count January because they only sent one good disk, the second one was cracked and all scratched up. When I returned it it took them their usual 2 weeks to send out another which became my first disk in February. I got my second disk last Thursday and returned it on Friday. Received e-mail they are processing my next disk on Saturday. I still haven't received it.

If Dish is monitoring these threads, the slow mail center is in Daytona.

With Netflix, I mailed a disk in on Saturday and received the next one on Tuesday.

That sucks!
I shipped two BB discs back on Monday, they were in my mailbox when I got home yesterday...Shipped the third one back on Tuesday, and according to the email I got yesterday morning, the next one shipped out yesterday.

You conviently ignore the other features for $10. If disks by mail is the only reason you are paying $10 that's on you not DISH. You are getting discs sent far slower than I am so there is something wrong there I agree.

I'm averaging 4 BDs a month so far this year. I get 1-2 day turnaround. Works fine for me.

While many claim the USPS is slow at times, I find that almost anywhere in FL, my USPS is 1 day delivery except the Keys. Daytona is only 80 miles from here and several trucks run daily back and forth according to one of my inlaws who works for the post office, also verified at my zip code branch. While Netflix has a distribution center here in town, the post office guys all said Daytona should be no different, in other words, next day. I was thinking of checking in with Matt or Zach of Dirt to see if their inquiry could light a fire under those guys at the distribution warehouse. The way I see it it is clearly a problem at that warehouse beacuse most of you all are getting reasonable service about half as good as Netflix.

Tampa8- I recognize that Blockbuster has a streaming VOD like on my 722k and I checked it out, but frankly, it has no value to me because the interface is awkward, the technical quality is considerably worse than Netflix here, I don't get good quality HD as I do on Netflix, the selection is worse than Netflix and content is quick and easy to access on Netflix. To get BB Movie Pass styreaming from Dish on my ipad I have to jump through hoops with my sling adapter interface. I'm not shilling for Netflix here, just comparing because that's the competing service I have. Dish could offer me socker from Zimbabwa as part of the service and it still would not increase the value for me. Maybe for you. :) I can only count the service I am willing to pay for and the BD DVD, in particular the 3D titles is what excited me enough to pay the $10+ but that was assuming I would get at least 4-5 disks a month ( $2 - $2.50 ea ) When these conditions change, I will change my attitude. Hope you understand my " I'm the customer and I know best what's right for me, not Dish." cheers! :)

Don, you're still ignoring the 20 or so Platinum Channels included in the BB@Home, on top of the BB streaming and discs by mail.

What are they? Yes, Mea Culpa on those channels. I'll have to check that out and see if they are added value to me or just more of what I have no interest in. Off to do that now! Thanks, as I always like being told I'm missing something that may be of value to me.

OK I found this:
Over 20 great entertainment channels including EPIX, STARZ® Cinema, PixL, Sony Movie Channel and many more.

( But I thought I already had most of these before I added BB@Home I recall watching a few here before BB@Home existed. Confused??? )

Attachments

• ChannelChart.png
    ChannelChart.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 161
I have been generally happy with the mail service. We usually don't watch more than one Blu-ray per week, so by the time I watch a movie and mail it back, I don't notice any delay. My issue is with the streaming service. Downloads are too slow. Lately, if I pick something to watch in HD, it is unwatchable. Constant buffering or it won't even allow me to start watching for an extended period. By the time it is ready, I have moved on to something else.

OK I found this:
Over 20 great entertainment channels including EPIX, STARZ® Cinema, PixL, Sony Movie Channel and many more.

( But I thought I already had most of these before I added BB@Home I recall watching a few here before BB@Home existed. Confused??? )

It sounds as if you had the Platinum package before it changed its name to Blockbuster at Home. All that did was add the Blockbuster stuff for the same $10 that you were already paying....

Also, I think there are a handful of channels in the Platinum/BB@H package that are also in AT250. Perhaps that is what you are referring to.

dare2be said:
Also, I think there are a handful of channels in the Platinum/BB@H package that are also in AT250. Perhaps that is what you are referring to.

Yes but thanks for the heads up onthe other channels. I printed out the chart and will check them out

I hope they don't close all the Blockbuster stores in my city, because the trade-in program is the only way I get to see recent movie releases. When I noticed all the top movies in my queue had red next to them ("Short Wait","Long Wait","Very Long Wait") I decided to add an old movie I had wanted to see, "How to Murder Your Wife", a Jack Lemmon film from 1965. I was surprised when it also came up "Long Wait"... but the kicker is, that was at least 10 weeks ago, and since then every time I've looked at my queue, that old movie has always said "Long Wait". Very odd. The two PS3 games I put in my queue have always had "waits" beside them, even though both were released almost a year ago. I've never received a game in the mail from BB@Home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts