How Much Snow You Got ( Southeast)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I got about 1 1/2 in. here in Marion County, Ala. I work in Birmingham we got a "snow day" today, hoping for another one tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how much, if any, we get tonight,

All snow melted here, not a spec anywhere.

How much are they forecasting there?Anywhere from 6" to 10" here.

Same here and already got a couple of inches since 6am. It was snowing but roads were clear, and took my wife to work(she has 0 snow driving experience). 7 miles away to drop her off, clear all the way, I turned around to go back home and the roads that quick turned white, and slid sideways 3 times, with 4-Wheel Drive. :eek: It is a mess here now, the temp has dropped below freezing and the scanner is going crazy with people out on the roads skidding off the road. I would hate to be rescue people right now.

Yea,it's getting bad really fast.The only plus I can come up with,is at least it's not blizzard like conditions.Wind is calm here for now.

This ice cost me a c- band dish actuator it was froze and i thought i would bump it back and forth it looked like it started moving the g-box started counting but i looked out and the dish has not moved.:(

Rodder it sounds like you have stripped a gear, sorry to hear that. Guess I better take heed and leave my big dish on the Me-TV bird, in case the power does NOT go out lol.
Light rain in my spot on the east side of my county, but snow steady to the next county west, moving this way. Still 37 degrees here for a few more minutes!
I do not look forward to this !!

Rodder it sounds like you have stripped a gear, sorry to hear that. Guess I better take heed and leave my big dish on the Me-TV bird, in case the power does NOT go out lol.
Light rain in my spot on the east side of my county, but snow steady to the next county west, moving this way. Still 37 degrees here for a few more minutes!
I do not look forward to this !!

Yea Sounds like a stripped gear i guess i ask for it. was one of those cheapo"s i think i gave $38.00 for it.

Yea Sounds like a stripped gear i guess i ask for it.

In this kind of weather I never bother to try to move mine until it stops snowing and I can clean it off and check for ice. OTA is 23 channels and it works fine in the snow so there is some TV available.

It started around 3pm and we've got about 2" on the ground now. The forecast is for 12 to 15" by tomorrow afternoon. :( The good part is since the Wife and I are both retired I won't have to worry about getting out for the next few days.

Last edited:
About 4" here so far, another band of snow is approaching, before it spins on north of us and clear out toward Chattanooga.
Strange, its 32 in Birmingham, and about 5 mi north of me at the county seat but my thermometers have all been at 36-37 since dark. Can't explain that one!

You guys in the south complain about getting an inch of snow and everyone panics. Go up north where its been cold and well below zero. When you hear your apartment crack and make loud noises cause of the cold. Also when see your home freeze up on the inside thats bad. here is this video you guys might like.

Dan Rose

http://youtu.be/qz2SeEzxMuE

You guys in the south complain about getting an inch of snow and everyone panics. Go up north where its been cold and well below zero. When you hear your apartment crack and make loud noises cause of the cold. Also when see your home freeze up on the inside thats bad. here is this video you guys might like.

Dan Rose

http://youtu.be/qz2SeEzxMuE

They made highways that go SOUTH for that reason so there's no excuse for staying up there now is it? ;)

We got about 8" here in the central part of Virginia and it's stopped for now. Looking at the animated weather map I don't think we'll get any more.

Time to go out and clean out around the heat pump as it's about half covered with snow. Now the "fun" part begins. Trammadol, ibuprofen and a snow shovel! :confused:

Love that Antarctica video!! A nice snowfall is so rare in the South, I think most of us typically keep very traditional, pre-Corporate attitudes, and would rather sacrifice a day or two of work instead take risks on ill-treated roadways and inappropriate vehicles. Plus, for all the snow and ice out there at the moment, the temperature has now risen above freezing, so most of it will melt away by today, and will be totally gone by tomorrow with 60 degree weather by Sunday. There is also a cultural difference, so at the risk of reigniting a war between the states, here is a post from my Facebook page:

"Aww...I finally get it. It's jealousy. This is the reason some Northerners protest so much and so loudly about driving in ice, sleet, and snow, when it shouldn't concern them at all! Despite the panic and fear about accidents and power outages, most Southerners also celebrate a winter storm with almost as much exuberance as Christmas! We buy food in preparation, close down our cities and roads, spend time with our loved ones, enjoy watching the kids (or ourselves) play in the snow or slide down the hill, have hot chocolate or coffee as often as we want, watch movies, converse with neighbors, spread good cheer, and lend a helping hand to anyone in need. Northerners don't get a special holiday but secretly want it... Too bad it's just another winter day for them. It's an exciting day for us!"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts