How to manaully figure out what a dish elevation is at?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Need some help guys...trying something

I want to try and get 30W...its a 10 elevation (well 9.9) and the only way I can even attempt it is to somehow attach it to the TV antenna mast (its a 2" heavy duty pipe) which is on the peak of the roof. (lots of trees)

anywho working with a GeosatPro 90cm dish and a "broken" SG2100 (broken as in there are some gear issues so it doesnt move fluently).

Trying to figure out how to measure what an angle is on the 90cm dish. Basically I want to do this...Right now the motor is at 0 so I would lower the elevation on the dish and the elevation on the motor and sweep E-W til I (hopefully) find 30W. But since I wont be working with any accurate numbers on the dish or motor how can I verify what the angle is at? I tried a couple spots on the dish right now and nothing matches what the elevation shows right now.

Anybody know how to figure it out?

Do you know the offset angle of the dish?

I would place a vertical straightedge from edge-to-edge on the face of the dish and (going to assume the offset angle is 24.62 degrees from GeoSat specs I saw) aim the dish down with inclinometer 14.62 degrees from vertical, and start sweeping from there.

Don't worry about the plumbness of the mast...or the motor shaft angle, dish face and offset angle is what counts if it is going to be fixed.

Last edited:
Most offset dishes are 23* IIRC.
You could verify the angle by putting a straightedge(such as a piece of 1x2 board) vertically across the rim of the dish, adjusting it until the straightedge is plumb vertical then measure the lnb arm with a magnetic angle finder.
If it is 23* then your angle would be 10* minus 23*= -13* below horizon(for the lnb arm of course). Then fine tune the lnbf/dish/motor assembly for best Q.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Missed it by that much :D

Setup the dish to aim at ground level to a satellite that has LOS. Place an inclineometer on the LNB holder arm. Note the difference in degrees between the elevation of the satellite and the reading of the inclinometer. Use that answer to calculate the 9.9 degree elevation setting and set the dish using the calculated number on you incliometer.
Bob

so if the "real" elevation shows say 44 but when I put the inclineometer on the arm it shows 30...so thats a 14 difference....so basically the inclineometer angle should be -4 then?

now tomorrow I have to go figure out if the mast is tall enough for the dish to be mounted without the top hitting the antenna or the bottom of the dish hitting the tripod ;)

Or - put the dish sideways like I did. Dish face tipped back(from vertical) your required 9.9 degrees = elevation.(mine is 6.4 degrees) Azimuth will be L or R(depending on which way you 'twist' the dish) the offset of the dish. (~22-26 degrees)

Attachments

• LNB.jpg
    LNB.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,479
  • aim.jpg
    aim.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 212
Do you know the offset angle of the dish?

I would place a vertical straightedge from edge-to-edge on the face of the dish and (going to assume the offset angle is 24.62 degrees from GeoSat specs I saw) aim the dish down with inclinometer 14.62 degrees from vertical, and start sweeping from there.

Don't worry about the plumbness of the mast...or the motor shaft angle, dish face and offset angle is what counts if it is going to be fixed.

What he said. Those of us that adapt offset dishes to polar mounts learned the hard way how to compensate for the offset. Some of us had more trouble than others.

I am not real familiar with the geosat dish, but if you have a digital inclinometer ( if you don't, BUY one, you wont ever know how you did without it) its cake to adjust.

well now I might have stumbled upon something

The Geosat 90cm dish you can flip the elevation bracket around to get down in degrees. Also on the SG2100 if I lower the elevation enough the pipe (that the dish would attach to) can be at 90 degrees. (straight up and down)
http://satelliteav.com/portal/33/images/GEOSATpro_90cm_AssemblyDiagram.pdf
So I might be able to put that straight down then attach the dish from above (like it would be motorized) and set the elevation to 10 and it should work. (hopefully)

now I still have that tree issue (oh and the heat too)

well now I might have stumbled upon something

The Geosat 90cm dish you can flip the elevation bracket around to get down in degrees. Also on the SG2100 if I lower the elevation enough the pipe (that the dish would attach to) can be at 90 degrees. (straight up and down)
http://satelliteav.com/portal/33/images/GEOSATpro_90cm_AssemblyDiagram.pdf
So I might be able to put that straight down then attach the dish from above (like it would be motorized) and set the elevation to 10 and it should work. (hopefully)

now I still have that tree issue (oh and the heat too)

I got you on the heat! It's about 94+ here in mid-Michigan today. Still, I got a 6 foot pole to lift my 3ABN dish and motor higher mounted and leveled against the old 3 foot pole. I then lifted the dish and motor onto it, and tweaked it for 87w PBJ (which is where I had it on the 3 foot pole). I realized I had the elevation set slightly low, and the motor slightly turned, so I adjusted and tighten those down. I now get every sat from 61w to so far 111.1w (Anik F2) I'm still scanning it further out, but I think anything past 125w will be impossible, because of an ancient HUGE 90' pine tree. Before lifting the pole to 6', I couldn't get anything past 101w.

So, even though I almost got heat exhaustion, it was WORTH IT! lol ;) What a hobby....

I have the old analog orange one ;)
Johnson.jpg

I ain't saying it isnt possible, but I have never had ANY kind of success with mine like that. The needle just isn't fine enough, and it bounces around like the good ship lollipop. Once I started messing with c-band dishes, The digital one from Harbor Freight became a MUST. Best 25 bucks I ever spent.

Question, T. Why are you trying to use a motor? Why not just use the mount on a pole, so you don't have all the issues the motor introduces?

EDIT: Okay I read the OP, I understand now...I am with ya on the TV mast.

Question, T. Why are you trying to use a motor? Why not just use the mount on a pole, so you don't have all the issues the motor introduces?
because I can't mount the dish on top of the mast....the motor is there to help with elevation

EDIT: Okay I read the OP, I understand now...I am with ya on the TV mast.

yep. Highest point on the property

Well that wasn't too bad....but when its 93 out anytime on the roof is tough :) But got 30W with its 9.9 elevation and trees about 175 feet away

Went up and put the motor up there. Made sure the shaft was points straight down. Took the GeosatPro 90cm dish up and placed it on the shaft. Now the fist issue was the bolt that goes across the elevation "slide scale" is goofed up (holes arent lined up properly) so I couldnt put it through the holes on the motor shaft. So basically I have to tighten the bolts down real good and kinda "bear hug" the motor shaft

Used the trusty Pansat 1500. yeah its old and a pile but damn it sniffs out signals fast and shows a 10 quality if it finds it. So it only took maybe 10 minutes once I was hooked everything up to lock a signal on Cubavision at like 15...Tweaked the signal to lock it at 60 on the Pansat. Tried the other DVB signals and all are between 58-73.

Temporarily hooked up a cable and tried the MicroHD in the house. Got almost everything. There are 2 signals that I cant even get a sniff of. But everything else came in fine
Dish looks like its pointed at the ground :)

Attachments

• PICT0027.JPG
    PICT0027.JPG
    745.6 KB · Views: 269
  • PICT0028.JPG
    PICT0028.JPG
    851.9 KB · Views: 241
  • PICT0029.JPG
    PICT0029.JPG
    633.5 KB · Views: 240
  • PICT0031.JPG
    PICT0031.JPG
    846.8 KB · Views: 235
  • PICT0032.JPG
    PICT0032.JPG
    799.9 KB · Views: 232
  • PICT0033.JPG
    PICT0033.JPG
    852.1 KB · Views: 262
  • PICT0034.JPG
    PICT0034.JPG
    586.6 KB · Views: 246
  • PICT0037.JPG
    PICT0037.JPG
    806.1 KB · Views: 234
  • PICT0038.JPG
    PICT0038.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 203
  • PICT0039.JPG
    PICT0039.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 217
  • PICT0040.JPG
    PICT0040.JPG
    607.4 KB · Views: 231
  • PICT0041.JPG
    PICT0041.JPG
    893.2 KB · Views: 252
I think Iceberg is fooling with us! That dish looks like its pointing at the roof, lol. But, if it can be done, then I have to say he's the one to make it work. What kind of antenna is on top of the pole, FM or vhf-cut for one channel??

The antenna on top is a Winegard YA1713 VHF antenna (7-13). Its aimed SW for the neighboring market (Mankato)...CBS & Fox subchannel (only station in the market on channel 12). Its 72 miles away and signals are usually at 100% at night and mid 80's during the day (really stable)
The other antennas are a HBU44 (top) and HBU33 (bottom) both aimed at Minneapolis

HBU44 is hooked to a 2 way splitter for HDTV and Directv OTA tuner
HBU33 is hooked to a 4 way splitter to bedroom, computer room, basement and neighbor's garage (yup)

The reason I dont use just one antenna is when I have a 6 way split (or a 4 way and 2 2 ways) is the signal on the weaker signals get cut more than 1/2. Plus the HBU44 has easy access to bypass the splitter in case I want to DX OTA and get stuff from further away when its been humid :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)