Besides extra tuners is it any different then
the HR24?

Im sure I don't need this unit but Im always
curious about new units.

My current units are running very slow. Hopefully
a new software update will fix it.

My last update was Feb 26 on all units.

bigger hd and more tuners is the only diff i think

Just about. The HR24 has Pandora though. The HR34 doesn't have it yet. As you stated the HR34 has the larger HD and the 5 tuners and I believe it supports more simultaneous MRV viewings from the box at one time include the RVU option.

I have a HR24 and HR34 and the speed is about the same on either box. But the ease of having everything I watch and more record without conflicts is awesome. The 5 tuners is worth it by itself!

Just about. The HR24 has Pandora though. The HR34 doesn't have it yet. As you stated the HR34 has the larger HD and the 5 tuners and I believe it supports more simultaneous MRV viewings from the box at one time include the RVU option.

I have a HR24 and HR34 and the speed is about the same on either box. But the ease of having everything I watch and more record without conflicts is awesome. The 5 tuners is worth it by itself!

Thanks so much!

I currently have 2 HRs (23 and 24) with networked MRV. So, unless one of these boxes dies, I have no need to go with the HR34 as I'd have to have the SWM and DECA installation.

For the $199, did they include a service call to upgrade you to SWM16? (I doubt it.) You will need that if you are just adding the HR34 (5 tuners) to your existing setup of 3 HR24s (2 tuners each = 6 tuners). With your current setup it would only make sense that the installer put in a SWM head that only supports 8 tuners. You WILL need to upgrade to SWM16 to drive the 11 tuners you will have by adding the HR34.

The folks answering the phone only answer the questions you ask. If you don't know what to ask the information you get over the phone can be very confusing.

(As an aside, the last update on my HR24-200 was Feb 8.)

For the $199, did they include a service call to upgrade you to SWM16? (I doubt it.) You will need that if you are just adding the HR34 (5 tuners) to your existing setup of 3 HR24s (2 tuners each = 6 tuners). With your current setup it would only make sense that the installer put in a SWM head that only supports 8 tuners. You WILL need to upgrade to SWM16 to drive the 11 tuners you will have by adding the HR34.

The folks answering the phone only answer the questions you ask. If you don't know what to ask the information you get over the phone can be very confusing.

Good post.

I did ask them if the 199 covered the install charge. It is in fact included. I also think because
I have the protection plan I might not have been charged for install?

you should still ask them if that includes a swm 16. i did at the time when i spoke with them. confirmed everything twice that i would not be charged on anything needed for the installation and got it in writing as well.

HR34 also has picture in picture if that interests you. I've used it occasionally for sports.

mdram said:
bigger hd and more tuners is the only diff i think

As Shady12 said, the HR34 can also do Picture in Picture, which is really nice. I've found myself using it much more than I thought I would.

I have an hr22-100. It is excruciatingly slow in every function compared to my Dish 922. It takes 4-7 seconds to change channels! Is the hr34 faster? I've had dtv for ten years - any chance of a deal for the 34 through retention?

John W

I regularly record 3-5 things at a time, I love it. Coupled with a 2TB external, I just never have conflicts and plenty of time to watch stuff (I generally record 35-40 hours a week).

Thanks guys. Sounds as though I need to get a 24 (or 2) for now and let the 34 "cure" for a while.

JohnW

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts