HR20 Hard Drive Upgrade

Have you upgraded the hard drive in your HR20 or plan to?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The FA I have says it spins down when not in use. Had it for a bit now and its still working flawlessly.

Your using the 750, I am still looking to find it at a reasonable price.
I see 229 online but would perfer to buy it locally in case there are any issues.

Currently it's running 279 and 299 locally.
Maybe closer to Christmas, it was 219 a few weeks back and I did not have the money available.

Jimbo

Your using the 750, I am still looking to find it at a reasonable price.
I see 229 online but would perfer to buy it locally in case there are any issues.

Currently it's running 279 and 299 locally.
Maybe closer to Christmas, it was 219 a few weeks back and I did not have the money available.

Jimbo

The FA 750's been $199 for the last several days at one place I saw.

Costco has it for $199. It was at my local store when I stopped there earlier today. Also, Fry's online site has it for $174.99, though it's currently sold out.

Unfortunatly MY local Costco does not have this as one of thier Ext. HD's , they have the WD versions but none of the Seagates.
Also I do not have a Fry's here, but I will try to locate the closest one and see if it is anywheres close.

I guess the closest one is in Indy, which would make the drive more than the savings ....

Jimbo

Last edited:
I skimmed through the previous posts and did not see this. A number of people seem to think the issue of not using the internal drive is about space. For me, it's not. I don't mind getting no benefit from the internal drive (as far as space) once the external drive is connected. I do mind losing all the series links and recorded shows.

The current implementation is not an upgrade path and it should be. At the very least, It should copy the content over when it sees a new drive. The core operating system makes this fairly simple, if DirecTV chose to do it. We need to give them a nudge.

Seagate Free Agent 750 Vibration / Data Transfer

Hi Guys,

I am getting a replacement FAP 750 from Seagate because the one I purchased from Amazon vibrates so much, I can hear it hum when my home theater equipment is powered down. When I first fired the FAP up, I notice it had a high level of vibration, much more than normal. I am planning to transfer all the data on the current FAP to the new FAP. One problem; how?

It seems to me that a sector-by-sector copy application should do the trick. Something like Ghost, maybe. Has anyone tried this or do you know enough about sector by sector copying to recommend the proper software?

Anyone else notice an abnormal HD vibration level?

I don't really care for the form factor of the FAP because I am afraid that this unit will tip over. But, I have not seen anything in the $225 price range, including a cabinet and quiet fan for this money.

Slardy

Hi Guys,

I am getting a replacement FAP 750 from Seagate because the one I purchased from Amazon vibrates so much, I can hear it hum when my home theater equipment is powered down. When I first fired the FAP up, I notice it had a high level of vibration, much more than normal. I am planning to transfer all the data on the current FAP to the new FAP. One problem; how?

It seems to me that a sector-by-sector copy application should do the trick. Something like Ghost, maybe. Has anyone tried this or do you know enough about sector by sector copying to recommend the proper software?

Anyone else notice an abnormal HD vibration level?

I don't really care for the form factor of the FAP because I am afraid that this unit will tip over. But, I have not seen anything in the $225 price range, including a cabinet and quiet fan for this money.

Slardy

Have you tried laying it down, this should not hurt it any....
This is the first I have heard anyone talk about it being noisy or top heavy and a lot of people have them as they appear to be the most used out there.

Jimbo

750 Fap

Jimbo,
thanks for your reply. The FAP form factor is a real problem that I would warn anyone about who is considering the use of this drive for the HR-20 upgrade. It fits no where on my equipment cabinet because it is too high and can not be laid down on its side because of the base configuration. For those of you who don't have or have not seen this unit up close, the base is about 1 inch wider all around than the drive, on end (~ 3 by 6 inches). Because of this base, it will not lay flat. It can be laid over but it will slide and may affect the heat disipation of the drive. I currently have it mounted beside the rear of my Sony SXRD rear projector, taped to the TV. If the form factor was a simple rectangular box, it would be great. But it is not.

My unit vibrates. It vibrated when I first turned it on. If this FAP were on my desk top with my PC, I would hear it humming.

John

Elwaylite, I assume that it is a bad drive. I still have the question of moving all the data to the new FAP when it arrives.

Last edited:
Jimbo,
thanks for your reply. The FAP form factor is a real problem that I would warn anyone about who is considering the use of this drive for the HR-20 upgrade. It fits no where on my equipment cabinet because it is too high and can not be laid down on its side because of the base configuration. For those of you who don't have or have not seen this unit up close, the base is about 1 inch wider all around than the drive, on end (~ 3 by 6 inches). Because of this base, it will not lay flat. It can be laid over but it will slide and may affect the heat disipation of the drive. I currently have it mounted beside the rear of my Sony SXRD rear projector, taped to the TV. If the form factor was a simple rectangular box, it would be great. But it is not.

My unit vibrates. It vibrated when I first turned it on. If this FAP were on my desk top with my PC, I would hear it humming.

John

Elwaylite, I assume that it is a bad drive. I still have the question of moving all the data to the new FAP when it arrives.

I'm guessing that the base does not come off the unit ?

Jimbo

Just to report, I've been running with 750 GB Western Digital drives since the summer on my HR20-100 and HR20-700 and I've experienced no issues whatsoever. I dont even come close to filling them. Not much of a hoarder. I watch and clean as I go but I love the peace of mind that I wont have to worry about filled disc space.

Drive Model Please

Just to report, I've been running with 750 GB Western Digital drives since the summer on my HR20-100 and HR20-700 and I've experienced no issues whatsoever. I dont even come close to filling them. Not much of a hoarder. I watch and clean as I go but I love the peace of mind that I wont have to worry about filled disc space.

Brewer4, please provide the exact WD model number for the 750 Gig hard drives that you are having success with. Are you running these drives externally or internally?

Thanks

Slardy

Brewer,
Your using Western Digital HD or a Seagate FA 750 ?
I thought you had been using the Seagate, but your model # says otherwise.

Jimbo

Brewer4, please provide the exact WD model number for the 750 Gig hard drives that you are having success with. Are you running these drives externally or internally?

Thanks

Slardy

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)