HR2x / R22 Receiver Freeze / Reboot Issues (Again)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Whoever is responsible for this should be fired. This is twice that this has happened and this time when a lot of people have just gotten home from work and will be trying to watch tv. This is inexcusable. :mad:

I just checked a software download here and received 0x0254.

It is possible that 0x0290 may be in staggered rollout, but not all receivers will receive it now.
We do NOT have any confirmation from DirecTV as to when/if 0x0290 has started rollout.

Generally, receiver software is staggered over parts of the country during a few days or weeks.

I do NOT recommend trying to force-download any software, rater let your receiver do it overnight as intended.

According to DirecTV Receiver Firmware it looks like only the HR21-100 and HR21-200 have 0x290 in the stream for download (if I'm reading it correctly).

Just hit the guide button after the reboot and see this screen. System Info confirms that the software is version 0290. This receiver has never had a CE release loaded on it.

Attachments

• ATT11781336.jpg
    ATT11781336.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 268
This forced reboot killed an important recording in the middle I had going. If they are going to do a forced reboot, why not have it continue recording after it is done? :mad:

290 is the current national release for HR21-100,200. HR20's are still 254 and HR21-700 is still on 255. Looks like this this started happening at about the time all of our boxes locked up.

Firmware chart here:

DirecTV Receiver Firmware

First column is current national release.

My receiver worked fine today. No reboot was needed, but it did reboot itself while I was watching something. This happened about a half hour ago from the time of this post. Hopefully it doesn't happen again when I am watching House and Fringe tonight.

DirecTV is again experiencing freezing of receivers on 10/21.

Some users may receive a reboot signal sent to the receiver.

I just had all 3 of my receivers reboot in Michigan.

This happened a few weeks ago, you can read about it in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...rectv-hr2x-mass-lockups-overnight-10-6-a.html

We've also received a statement from DirecTV about this issue:

This time I think DirecTv should issue an explanation... once---OK.... twice---we want answers and assurances this won't happen again. This is crazy! New customer to DTV---never had this with Dish...

I can't believe this crap is still going on with these receivers. How many years is it going to take before they finally get it right? SD DVRs are no better. Sometimes worse.
Let Tivo in charge of the software already!

My first HR20-100 JUST now rebooted & is now downloading 0290 as we speak, (all on it's own - not forced by me) so it's obviously happening to some HR20's. (haven't checked the 2nd one yet)

Also, one client who has 2 HR20-700's just came home about an hour ago to BOTH locked up & had to be rebooted.

Yes, this is getting VERY tiresome - just like being back with E* on their older POS DVR's... :rolleyes:

Edit: Checked my 2nd unit - locked up all over, did RBR. :mad:

Last edited:
One hour after reboot and my receiver interupted our live tv to download 0290, this is the first time I have ever seen the download screen before, cool...

DirecTV is not force downloading 0x0290 to HR20 receivers.

It sounds like the HR21 receivers got the force download on the first reboot earlier today.

Hopefully this fixes the issue, Prime Time is about to start on the East coast, and they are very careful to avoid issues after 8pm.

My HR20-100 is downloading 0x290 as I type......(pause 15 min.)...now installed & working fine (so far). Enhancements include 1080p support, search term entry by keypad, and deeper cast info for searching.

This forced reboot killed an important recording in the middle I had going. If they are going to do a forced reboot, why not have it continue recording after it is done? :mad:

I was right in the middle of a program when my receiver asked if I wanted to download. Well, I said yes, thinking this was some sort of program download, not the damn software update! Can't D be a bit more descriptive? 20 minutes of my life, gone, and this after I got home and had to unplug the receiver and wait the eternity it takes to boot. 15 minutes and still downloading the software image. :mad:

Mine was playing perfectly fine with no freezes of any kind since last time. I was in the middle of watching the national news and it just rebooted all by itself. I have HR20-700 in the LR and it is downloading 0290 as we speak. I guess the staggered rollout assumption may have merit.

Jason Crandall said:
I do NOT recommend trying to force-download any software, rather let your receiver do it overnight as intended.

The key here is "overnight". If my box was working and not freezing up, why the hell would it force reboot going into prime time? Why not wait until 2am-5am? It looks like it will be done by 8pm, so no primetime stuff should be missed, but this is cutting it close. Thankfully I am not a "Wheel Watcher" :)

And I have been current on all my CE's, so my version was at least as current as what is downloading now, if not more advanced than this possible national release.

I agree that this kind of repeat issue now requires an explanation other than "we are aware of something are are working on it". What is the "something"?

It appears DirecTV is making an unusal move to immediately roll out version 0x0290 to all HR2x units.

This is very unusual, and I believe it may be related to the lockup issues experienced earlier today.

Obviously what I said earlier about letting it happen overnight does not apply to this, DirecTV is forcing the receivers to download the new software.

I've also posted notes for the new software in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...-notes-hr20-hr21-hr22-r22-verison-0x0290.html

Mine downloaded, rebooted, and now when it comes back up the screen just flashes and the Res lights on the front of the machine just flicker. Two resets have not resolved the issue... same thing each time. Anyone the same?

**Edit** Nevermind. The third reset took care of the issue for whatever reason.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)