Hr54 4K

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And if I am reading the information correctly, the 54 only has 1.4a HDMI ports. If this is true, it will never pass through a 4K signal and will never be able to use HDCP 2.2. From my understanding, and it may be incorrect, 1.4 cannot be updated to 2.0 except via a hardware change, whereas HDMI 2.0 can be udated to HDMI 2.0a via software (this I know for sure).

Might help make the decision of staying with Dish or going with Direct a lot easier.:coco

And if I am reading the information correctly, the 54 only has 1.4a HDMI ports. If this is true, it will never pass through a 4K signal and will never be able to use HDCP 2.2. From my understanding, and it may be incorrect, 1.4 cannot be updated to 2.0 except via a hardware change, whereas HDMI 2.0 can be udated to HDMI 2.0a via software (this I know for sure).

Might help make the decision of staying with Dish or going with Direct a lot easier.:coco

You are correct about the Hr54, but that seems to be DirecTV's strategy. There's even a strong rumor that the next DVR will be a combined uverse/DirecV server, supporting only clients.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
can someone explain how the 7 tuners in the 54 work?
is it 5 usable? with the other 2 bonded to 2 of the first 5 for 2 4k feeds?

As far as we know, five are usable and tthe other two are bonded to support three 4K channels

Reactions: mdram
Am I understanding this correctly, since the 54 only has 1.4 HDMI ports and if connected to a 4K direct certified TV it will be a limited 4K. Limited in that it can only sendt/receive 24 fps and 8-bit color while a system with HDMIa 2.0 can send/receive 30 (and I believe up to 60) fps and 10-12 bit color.

I just got off the phone with sales/tech support at Directv and I believe the people I talked to are still scratching their heads over what I was asking. Not sure they understood what frame rate and color depth is, and I know for a fact not one knew what HDR was. (I'll be fair, Dish reps are not much more intelligent on that matter either.) Thus the reason for asking here.

Am I understanding this correctly, since the 54 only has 1.4 HDMI ports and if connected to a 4K direct certified TV it will be a limited 4K. Limited in that it can only sendt/receive 24 fps and 8-bit color while a system with HDMIa 2.0 can send/receive 30 (and I believe up to 60) fps and 10-12 bit color.

I just got off the phone with sales/tech support at Directv and I believe the people I talked to are still scratching their heads over what I was asking. Not sure they understood what frame rate and color depth is, and I know for a fact not one knew what HDR was. (I'll be fair, Dish reps are not much more intelligent on that matter either.) Thus the reason for asking here.

the hr54 cannot output 4k of any kind via hdmi
it will only do 1080

Then this statement by Direct is incorrect

What do I need to enjoy DIRECTV 4K Ultra HD, including 4K channels 104, 105, and 106?
Print
Email.png
Email
To enjoy DIRECTV 4K Ultra HD, you need the following:

• A Genie HD DVR (Model HR54 or later).
  • A manufacturer-certified DIRECTV 4K Ready TV. If your 4K TV is not certified DIRECTV Ready, it will need to be connected to a 4K Genie Mini (C61K).
It sure implies that if I have a HR54 and a certified Directv ready TV it will supply 4K content. Clearly states the C61K is only needed if the TV is not a certified TV.

And I have had two different people at Direct tell me two different things. One says you can get 4K with my TV and the 54, the other says regardless you need a C61K. But this information came from Directv's webpage.

What do I need to enjoy DIRECTV 4K Ultra HD, including 4K channels 104, 105, and 106?
Print
Email.png
Email

• A manufacturer-certified DIRECTV 4K Ready TV. If your 4K TV is not certified DIRECTV Ready, it will need to be connected to a 4K Genie Mini (C61K).
It sure implies that if I have a HR54 and a certified Directv ready TV it will supply 4K content. Clearly states the C61K is only needed if the TV is not a certified TV.

And I have had two different people at Direct tell me two different things. One says you can get 4K with my TV and the 54, the other says regardless you need a C61K. But this information came from Directv's webpage.

the tv will be hooked up as an rvu, not via hdmi
or if its your only tv, it will be hooked up both ways, and you will pay twice

Print
Email.png
Email

The way I understand it, with the 54 you can watch downloaded 4k, but not "Live"
With the C61K you can do both.

The way I understand it, with the 54 you can watch downloaded 4k, but not "Live"
No, with the HR34, HR44, and H44Gl+HDD, you can only watch 4K downloaded VOD from ch. 1102. You need the HR54 to additionally watch the live or more accuratly "linear" 4K chs. broadcast on 104-106.

The C61K client is needed either for 4K TVs which are not DIRECTV RVU certified or for 4K TVs which are so certified, but the subscriber chooses not to use that connection option.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

No, the HR54 can only receive and/or record the live or "linear" 4K channels now broadcasting on 104-106. It does not have the hardware to display them over it's HDMI connector however. To do that it must stream the 4K programs by coax networking (or MoCA) or via ethernet cabling to a 4K RVU client which is so equipped hardware and firmware-wise to decode and output a 4K signal for the TV.

The RVU client can either be the internal or built-in type on DIRECTV RVU Ready 4K TVs. Or an external add-on box, the C61K.

The HR54 itself though can only decode and output over its HDMI 1.4 connection the regular SD or HD formats the other DIRECTV receivers do. 480i@30, 480p@60, 720p@60, 1080i@30, or 1080p@24 (native pass-through only). Not sure of the exact color bit depth other than 8-10 at 4:2:0 sampling.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

With the HR54 you can see 104-106 in the guide, and you can schedule a recording from the guide, but you cannot view any 4K content directly. A C61K or RVU is required to view any 4K content.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)