I just fried my meter, didn't I? Time for a new one?

oldsmobile

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 14, 2013
Central PA
I was just on the roof trying to tune with my Satlink WS-6933, and the piece of coax I was using fell off the LNB. I turned off the meter, reattached, and the Signal strength was at zero. I attached to five other known good LNBs, and got the same results.

Is it toast? And if it is, what's a comparable meter in the under $100 range?

IMG_2690.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
Before you buy a new sat meter, you should know that an Edision Mio+ sat receiver for about 2x the cost of that sat meter makes having a sat meter for a hobbyist obsolete. I use my smartphone at the dish with a free app running to remotely view the Edision receiver over my network wifi. It's better than a sat meter. I can even stream to the dish location to see the quality of signal being received.

I have the microHD too. It's a great receiver but it's a little out of date.

PBS_99W_sm.jpg

Screenshot_20230605_073838.jpg

Hmmm...I am admittedly not up on current receiver trends. I don't have a smartphone, but I do have an ipad 6th generation. Is it possible to use that ipad with the Mio+?

Guess I'm out of touch with the times. I don't use wifi or a smart phone so I will just stick with my good old satellite meters. ;)

P.S. Oldsmobile that is one of the meters I still use. :)

I looked at the price of the Edision Mio+, and decided that it was out of the budget at this point. I ordered a replacement WS-6933 this morning from an ebay seller for a couple of reasons--price, already knowing how to use it, and now I'll have a spare battery for it.

The project continues. As I mentioned in my other thread about a multi switch, I am setting up a Ku system here at my new home. Yesterday I bought some conduit bits for the 2" piece someone gave me, and today I'm finishing up the cable run. It's about 30 feet from the rooftop down to the lower level, and all my coax is in this conduit that is capped with a service entrance. Everything will go into the basement garage for distribution. I have my TV & FM coax in it, a planned six cables for 87 / 99 / 103, an extra one for a future FM antenna on a rotor, and two bright orange nylon ropes for future pulls.

I did dial in 99 & 103 decently this morning before the meter died, so I can start putting some ends on the coax at some point too. I wasn't able to get even a hint of 87 and I suspect tree coverage is an issue, but I can't get up that high myself to trim anything.

Did you use the cable that fell off? Perhaps there is a short in the coax. Try a new coax and connectors if you haven't done so.

Excellent suggestion. I just tried another piece of known good cable and there's no change. Meter is toast, I guess. New one will be coming soon enough, and I must remember to use connectors with it that screw together instead of the quick-connect sleeve style.

In terms of problems, this really wasn't a major one. My screen was cracked and the battery life was not great, so although I wish I didn't have to spend the money, it's not a major issue.

Excellent suggestion. I just tried another piece of known good cable and there's no change. Meter is toast, I guess. New one will be coming soon enough, and I must remember to use connectors with it that screw together instead of the quick-connect sleeve style.

In terms of problems, this really wasn't a major one. My screen was cracked and the battery life was not great, so although I wish I didn't have to spend the money, it's not a major issue.

Sorry to hear it just the same. We all know FTA stuff is not always easy to find and isn't cheap these days when it must be replaced. :( Glad you were able to find another. :)

Thanks, FTA4PA! I explained what happened to my wife, and she asked me where we could go to buy another. I would wager there isn't a store within 100 miles that stocks such a thing.

The specs show LNB short protection. I'm not sure how that works, but did you trying going to the lnb power setting page and try turning the power off and back on for the lnb?

looks like it's gone from the Apple AppStore. I have it on my iPhone8 and love it. I just got an iPhone14 yesterday and restored my apps and that one can't be downloaded and is nowhere to be found on the appstore. Bummer.

I know E2Remote Lite can also get signal quality and strength info, but it's just not as good in terms of presentation. I will miss the large number display

does any one know of any other alternatives? (preferably free)

I don't have a Apple phone but Signal Meter is still on the Google Play store(Android). I just pulled 2 of my old android phones out of a drawer and checked to make sure the app was still working. Yup.
I've a android tablet. I might see if I can load it on there also. Bet someone has a old android phone they will give you. All you need is WiFi for it to work.

looks like it's gone from the Apple AppStore. I have it on my iPhone8 and love it. I just got an iPhone14 yesterday and restored my apps and that one can't be downloaded and is nowhere to be found on the appstore. Bummer.

I know E2Remote Lite can also get signal quality and strength info, but it's just not as good in terms of presentation. I will miss the large number display

does any one know of any other alternatives? (preferably free)
This won't help with an IPhone but I just fired up a ancient Google Nexus tablet and installed Signal Meter(by krkadoni) on it. I input my Mio's address in it and it works!
Wonder if I can install it on an old Fire tablet. When it charges up I'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brct203