I need info on new hopper plus

Was about to ask if anybody has tried expanding the internal storage on their H+/J4's yet, here are the instructions for the Shield TV Pro (which also ships with Android TV). If this works, all you would need is a drive like this off of amazon to give each device 128GB+ storage.
Unfortunately, no USB port is provided for the Plus but is on the Joey 4 My primary viewing and use is on the Hopper and very little on the Joeys

Attachments

• 20220922_131718.jpg
    20220922_131718.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220922_131722.jpg
    20220922_131722.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: charlesrshell
Josephinelcajon & pattykay in my H+ I am signed in to five apps. App storage reads 8.0 GB. I am not signed in to any apps in all my Joey 4s and all of them the app storage also reads 8.0 GB. Wonder why my H+ app storage shows 8.0 GB with five apps signed in or is that not enough to register!

Side gee whiz note. Both my WJ4s WAP signal strength is running 55 to 60. My old WJs signal strength was running 69 to 74. I was hoping the new WJ4s WAP signal strength would run higher.

Josephinelcajon & pattykay in my H+ I am signed in to five apps. App storage reads 8.0 GB. I am not signed in to any apps in all my Joey 4s and all of them the app storage also reads 8.0 GB. Wonder why my H+ app storage shows 8.0 GB with five apps signed in or is that not enough to register!

Side gee whiz note. Both my WJ4s WAP signal strength is running 55 to 60. My old WJs signal strength was running 69 to 74. I was hoping the new WJ4s WAP signal strength would run higher.
Click on home, settings, device preferences, storage, then click on the already highlighted storage to see details on use. Interesting it says "internal shared storage"

Click on home, settings, device preferences, storage, then click on the already highlighted storage to see details on use. Interesting it says "internal shared storage"
WOW OK. Thanks understand now. Three of my Joeys read 2.5 GB, one is 2.6 GB. Can't check the H+. Wife is watching Netflix. I've pissed her off enough today playing with my DISH TV stuff. Will it read the same as the Joeys or does each unit stores its own app info? Will check H+ later.

WOW OK. Thanks understand now. Three of my Joeys read 2.5 GB, one is 2.6 GB. Can't check the H+. Wife is watching Netflix. I've pissed her off enough today playing with my DISH TV stuff. Will it read the same as the Joeys or does each unit stores its own app info? Will check H+ later.
Each one is completely independent. You can sign in on all three with the same google account, but they do not sync up together. Apps and their use will be completely separate. The app data such as Hulu or Netflix will sync on its system such as viewing history

when you say signal strength what did you mean? I do not have any change to my signal strength. Is there a particular Sat and Transponder?

Unfortunately, no USB port is provided for the Plus but is on the Joey 4 My primary viewing and use is on the Hopper and very little on the Joeys
Interesting, I wonder if a USB-C pass through hub like this would work? I would try expanding the storage on a Joey first, no need to get adapters for the H+ if it won’t work on something that already has USB ports integrated.

Wish I had a H+ myself, I could try with the adapters I have on hand without using other people as my guinea pigs (although after seeing Charlie’s experiences so far I feel better waiting off).

8 gig of storage on a Hopper +! Sheesh

At the bulk discount rate they are getting in the manufacturing process and supply chain, installing at least a 32 gig flash drive would be a total of maybe (and I'm on the high side of this) maybe 30 cents!

Just how cheap can Dish get. If they skimped on the storage for a brand new box, I'm wondering just what else they skimped on.. Humm.

Each one is completely independent. You can sign in on all three with the same google account, but they do not sync up together. Apps and their use will be completely separate. The app data such as Hulu or Netflix will sync on its system such as viewing history
OK. I checked my H+ app storage with five apps signed in to the storage is 2.7 GB.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
Interesting, I wonder if a USB-C pass through hub like this would work? I would try expanding the storage on a Joey first, no need to get adapters for the H+ if it won’t work on something that already has USB ports integrated.

Wish I had a H+ myself, I could try with the adapters I have on hand without using other people as my guinea pigs (although after seeing Charlie’s experiences so far I feel better waiting off).
Wife is liking the one remote for apps and Hopper. It works pretty good for us so far. However, the remote control slow reaction is not good. Going to swap over to pure Hopper mode tomorrow.

Just tried it and the Plus powers off once plugged in. If you power cycle it will not start if connected to a hub

My Sat signal strength is good. No change with replaced LNB/Hopper and Plus added

Attachments

• 20220925_132308.jpg
    20220925_132308.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220925_132317.jpg
    20220925_132317.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220925_132327.jpg
    20220925_132327.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 43
  • SatFinder_2022-09-25-12-51-26.jpg
    SatFinder_2022-09-25-12-51-26.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 53
Just tried it and the Plus powers off once plugged in. If you power cycle it will not start if connected to a hub
What happens if you don’t have anything connected to the USB port on the Plus? Is it the same behavior or does start with a warning about the Hopper not being present?

If it starts up without the Hub it might be a power issue, since the Plus has its own power supply it shouldn’t get or use any power from the Hopper, and the Hub somehow supply’s power anyway causing a short. If this is the case you might need to sacrifice/modify a USB to USB C cable (I would NOT use the Dish provided one in case it is special) and cut out the power lines. On a USB 1.0/2.0 cable there is 4 lines, 2 for power and the other two for data. Now if the cable is USB 3.0 that complicates things, there are 9 lines to figure out.

Last edited:
I just realized that I was going backwards hub into Plus. I have a adapter for the USB-C hub now to go into the USB 3.0 port on the hopper and added a power supply to the C port on the hub and the Plus plugs into a 3.0 port on the hub and I have power on the Plus it boots up but fails to connect on the #3 step "connecting to hopper. Getting closer! Before I had no boot up at all

What happens if you don’t have anything connected to the USB port on the Plus? Is it the same behavior or does start with a warning about the Hopper not being present?

If it stars up without the Hub it might be a power issue, since the Plus has its own power supply it shouldn’t get or use any power from the Hopper, and the Hub somehow supply’s power anyway causing a short. If this is the case you might need to sacrifice/modify a USB to USB C cable (I would NOT use the Dish provided one in case it is special) and cut out the power lines. On a USB 1.0/2.0 cable there is 4 lines, 2 for power and the other two for data. Now if the cable is USB 3.0 that complicates things, there are 9 lines to figure out.
You are certainly right on their cable! Its definitely special in some way!