I Oppose the XM-Sirius proposed merger

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ChiefIlliniwek

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Western Illinois
I oppose the XM & Sirius radio proposed merger.

I've been an XM subscriber since June 2004, with a total of two XM radios (a Delphi MyFi unit I use at home and on my boat, and a radio that was factory-installed in my GM vehicle.

I also have had the opportunity to listen to Sirius music channels via my Dish Network subscription.

I'm very ticked off that Mel the K. is trying to take over XM.

"Karmi" screwed up big time at CBS a few years ago. Check the record.

And then later when he took the reins at Sirius, Mel the K. screwed up again when he gave Howard the Stern (not to be confused with Howard K. Stern) a foolish amount of moola.

Now Big Daddy Cufflinks (Mel the K.) wants XM subscribers on board to help pay for his mistakes...and to also steal the XM-exclusive MLB package for Sirius subscribers.

I myself will REFUSE to pay one cent for Howard Stern's contract, so if this stupid merger goes through, I will immediately cancel my subscription and will destroy my MyFi unit, Gallagher-style.

I plan to e-mail each of the FCC commissioners to urge them to reject this idiotic merger proposal. If you agree with me, I urge you to contact the FCC commissioners also.

LONG LIVE XM!

But we would be getting the NFL & NASCAR.

I'm a dual sub (3 XM & 1 Sirius) so I'm all for the merger. Give me everything on one radio.

I too oppose the merger - but for the opposite reason. IMHO, XM is weak. Period. I am quite happy with my Sirius, and the NFL channel in particular. My single gripe: they took of the Rolling Stones channel!

Just my 2 cents.

--Doug

mel was not working for sirius when they made that deal with howard.

so he is trying to fix other peoples mistakes

I am undecided as I am worried as a dual subscriber to both XM and Sirius that I will be paying more for less service then I have now.

I enjoy the 70's and 80's channels on both XM and Sirius, I am worried that they will select one set of channels from one service then have the same 70's and 80's channel on both services to save money, while I am still paying $12.95 for each service.

I have no idea how things are going to be better when they are using two different systems, to enjoy the new service will I need a new radio? What about the radio built into my 2006 truck do I need to rip that out to enjoy the new service? Or since i have both XM and Sirius in there will I be able to enjoy it all with no new equipment needed?

Also no matter how they try to spin it, I am under the feeling that Sirius is buying XM and its not a joint merger. XM has gotten so stale over the past 2 years and Sirus has constantly improving, Sirius has crushed the giant.

With that said lets hope that both companies keep on pushing forward in case the merger does not go through. I also hope they use the name XM instead of Sirius, most people I know still can pronounce Sirius they call it Cy-russ.

The newsletter they sent said you'd get both services on factory installed units. Time will tell. I have XM only. Signed up with them because of MLB. As long as my rate doesn't go up so that I get Sirius' exclusive content, I'm fine with the deal. Hopefully, they will be able to get a better talent lineup on XM. Bobby Ocean on 70's is simply a terrible "personality". I've heard a few other "djs" and can't believe that is the best they can come up with. Please tell me Barry Williams won't be part of the new 70's channel.

Barry williams is actually on Sirius's 70's channel and he is terrible. But they have Magic Matt Alen and JJ Walker whichhmore then make up for Barry Williams.

I know Barry's on Sirius. Just hoping he doesn't move to XM with the merge. JJ Walker is the best talent I've heard on satellite radio. I left Sirius two years ago, so I've never heard Magic Matt.

Hopefully a combined satellite radio company will bring in stronger talent.

No one knows what will happen. If they fo move toa single platfoem I would suspect that we would see onoly one 70s channel etc but who knowa.

Magic Matt has been on Sirius for a long time, he was known before as "The Unknown DJ"

Barry Williams sucks, when he is on is when I switch to XM's 70's channel.

This is an outsider's opinion, since I don't subscribe to either service. I can see where "everything under one roof" would be a benefit for subscribers trying to make the choice between the two services. But from a competition point of view, I don't see how the FCC could possibly approve this deal. The track record of cable TV, and even the case of Howard Stern's move to Sirius, show that customers will pay for exclusive content, and will feel compeled to keep paying as rates go up. (Even as they complain about the high costs.) Meanwhile the "talent" - whether it's Howard Stern, Major League Baseball or the NFL will keep raising the price for their content, knowing the distributor will just pass it along to the customers.. and most customers will continue to pay. This deal may not mean higher rates for the merged service this year or next year, but eventually all of the best content will be drained from OTA radio supported by commercials and will be available only from the satellite radio monopoly. Meanwhile satellite radio's cost will go up 10 or 15 percent every year, while they blame the high cost of contracts with the on-air talent and sports leagues. The idea that internet radio (operating on shoestring budgets and not available on the road) or terrestial HD radio (have you tried to by a car with an HD Radio installed?) can provide valid competition for satellite radio is a joke.

this is onlya guess on my part but if we get to the point where they are eliminating cahnnels due to duplication no one will be charged for two subs. In fact they are being pretty careful to present to the FCC that this measn more choice and no greater price.

Having said in 3-5 years we might be paying $29.99 a month per receiver.

All I care about is price changing. I listen to Howard occasionally and mostly Alternative channels. If they merge and my price doesnt go up, then merge away.

this is onlya guess on my part but if we get to the point where they are eliminating cahnnels due to duplication no one will be charged for two subs. In fact they are being pretty careful to present to the FCC that this measn more choice and no greater price.

Having said in 3-5 years we might be paying $29.99 a month per receiver.

That would usher me out the door back to CDs only. I can afford it, but the services are not worth any more than I pay now.

I'm not a fan because it doesn't bode well for O and A. As of the last 6 months they have been the only reason I continue to pay for XM. I actually paid the extra $2 to listen to them. In my opinion the music channels have really gone to sh*t lately on XM. So if they get canned or seriously restricted by Karmazi then I'm dumping sat radio and going back to my iPOD.

And don't turn this thread into a Stern vs O and A thing.

I'm not one who needs to have the latest in receivers and such so I'm thinking I should get on the lifetime subscription with Sirius before this happens. I'll be on my 3rd year with Sirius and I still have the PNP 2, if I had just signed up for the lifetime then I'd almost be money ahead right now. Also if you can change your lifetime to another receiver for 75 bucks up to 3 times I'd still be money ahead. The only reason I'll change my receiver is if it breaks.

Of course we have no idea if the new company will honor the lifetime. Everything is just specualtion now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)