Incentive Auction Discussion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm not convinced that your example proves your claim. The problem is perhaps more likely related to interference at the radio's intermediate frequency rather than a switching frequency at or near the FM broadcast or TV channel frequency.

Well, I didn't fill out all the details, sorry about that. Here they are:

I installed a 50ft high antenna system on my house. That consisted of separate VHF and UHF antennas, a pre-amp, quad-shield cable and such. The VHF antenna is aimed at the single VHF station in my DMA (that I wanted), WJRT channel 12. ALL the rest of my channels are UHF.

Anyway, I was having interference issues on VHF 12, and spent a lot of time tracking them down. Once somebody mentioned "switching battery chargers" to me, I started thinking about this. They said it could be tracked down using a radio. I then noticed the car radio interference, since that was my easiest radio to access. I then remembered that I had a charger plugged in in my garage, tending a deep-cycle battery. Once I unplugged it, the interference stopped.

A couple days later, new interference about almost the same, started up. That turned out to be my Dell laptop power brick. I replaced it, and that interference went away to never return.

Reactions: navychop
I am assuming that the affected stations now know their new frequency assignments. I am curious as to how long it will take for us to hear. it looks like minimal change in my area though I suppose certain stations like WHAG, WJAL (not WJLA) and WHUT might decide to "take the money and run" so to speak and opt to shut down.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
I am assuming that the affected stations now know their new frequency assignments. I am curious as to how long it will take for us to hear. it looks like minimal change in my area though I suppose certain stations like WHAG, WJAL (not WJLA) and WHUT might decide to "take the money and run" so to speak and opt to shut down.
I think the FCC is going to publicly announce the new frequency assignments shortly after the auction formally ends on March 30.
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/101536/fcc-to-announce-auction-winners-in-april

FCC to Announce Auction Winners in April

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/101536/fcc-to-announce-auction-winners-in-april

The notice will also contain information on the post-auction repacking, including how many and which stations will have to move to new channels and the new channel assignments.

The FCC said today that the assignment auction will begin March 6 and end March 30. That means the tell-all notice should be out in early April, giving broadcasters at the NAB Show (April 22-17) plenty to talk about in Las Vegas.

Thanks guys. I don't really see the new channel assignments being linked but I suppose it is one less announcement for the FCC. Some stations may tell us on their own I guess but otherwise we can wait till April.

I'd rather not see them go, but it won't be a huge loss. We sometimes can get WHAG at our RV in WV. Usually not. I was considering getting a larger antenna with rotor to increase chances of reception. Guess I'll wait it out and see.

Yes of cors i have been Reading this tvnewscheck they say the highest channel will be 38 and that stashion that has to move will go to low vhf so they all so say you will not need on outside TV antennas no more
Your reading is perhaps no better than your writing. Channel 36 will be the top end.

Outdoor antennas will likely be even more important going forward as more stations have to reduce their power or broadcast pattern to protect other stations on the same frequency.

Thanks guys. I don't really see the new channel assignments being linked but I suppose it is one less announcement for the FCC. Some stations may tell us on their own I guess but otherwise we can wait till April.

The FCC is required by law to keep auction participation confidential under the auction is complete. Releasing a list of channel assignments would, by omission or by assignment to VHF, indicate who was a winning bidder. As such, the FCC cannot release the new channel assignments to the public until the Closing and Channel Reassignment PN.

- Trip

thanks trip. But if the stations have already been notified of channel assignments (and I believe they have---correct me if i am wrong) what harm would there be in releasing the list now before their old channels are reassigned? Again it may be more for the FCC's convenience and that is certainly a factor to consider.

thanks trip. But if the stations have already been notified of channel assignments (and I believe they have---correct me if i am wrong) what harm would there be in releasing the list now before their old channels are reassigned? Again it may be more for the FCC's convenience and that is certainly a factor to consider.

The harm would be violating federal law. Most people try to avoid doing that.

And yes, the stations have been notified of their new channels--in confidential letters. Obviously, the stations know their own participation, so it's not giving out confidential information to tell the stations the results of their own bids.

- Trip

Thanks trip. i guess I was questioning the wisdom of writing the law that way. I did not mean to cast aspersions on anyone. I just no longer see the point in that information remaining confidential. But, somehow this thread has a pattern of turning a bit nasty att imes. I apologize if i have contributed to that by asking a few questions or treating some aspects of the topic less seriously than others seem to.

Thanks trip. i guess I was questioning the wisdom of writing the law that way. I did not mean to cast aspersions on anyone. I just no longer see the point in that information remaining confidential. But, somehow this thread has a pattern of turning a bit nasty att imes. I apologize if i have contributed to that by asking a few questions or treating some aspects of the topic less seriously than others seem to.

Nah, you're fine. I was hoping the "most people avoid it" would be a laugh line. I'm not good at those, I suppose.

The law was written by Congress, and the intent may or may not have been to keep it confidential until the reverse part was over, but that's not what the text of the law says, unfortunately. Thus, we have at least a month and a half until the full list comes out of the FCC.

- Trip

Maybe I took it too seriously---hell i did. But i guess it has amazed me that a thread that should arouse curiosity has spawned some other things as well.

Oh well. No news till April or so.

I was hoping the "most people avoid it" would be a laugh line.
It might have been if it were much closer to reality.

What gave Bowling Green University the right to spill their beans? They were apparently an auction participant and as such, would be subject to the same NDA as the other players.

From the Ryvicker quote in the TVNewsCheck article, she is NOT anticipating the formal announcement of the reverse auction results that many here were hoping for.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)