Information everyone must know about the Lease Program:

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just read the entire thread, but wanted to get a few things straight:

1. I currently own a HDTivo and a normal Directv SD Tivo. They are activated as of sep '05, and currently under a 2 year plan. Do I have to do anything to keep these from being converted to a lease? Or is that only for people activating purchased equipment now?

2. I don't quite understand this $500 DVR fee everyone keeps talking about...when logging into the directv page, they still seem to be giving away the equipment for free, but now just calling it a lease. Am I missing something? I do see that the HDDVR is still costing around $399 which is similar to the old gear. Again, maybe I'm missing something

belsokar,
1. No
2. HD DVR is $499 for existing subscribers, $399 for new subscribers, 2 year lease and after that you don't own it and therefore can't sell it to get back some of the $499.

belsokar said:
Just read the entire thread, but wanted to get a few things straight:

1. I currently own a HDTivo and a normal Directv SD Tivo. They are activated as of sep '05, and currently under a 2 year plan. Do I have to do anything to keep these from being converted to a lease? Or is that only for people activating purchased equipment now?

Don't add or change any of your equipment. If you don't make any changes you will still own your equipment.

2. I don't quite understand this $500 DVR fee everyone keeps talking about...when logging into the directv page, they still seem to be giving away the equipment for free, but now just calling it a lease. Am I missing something? I do see that the HDDVR is still costing around $399 which is similar to the old gear. Again, maybe I'm missing something

For an existing customer to upgade to an HD DVR with the new dish the upfront "Upgrade" charge is $499. The difference is after paying the $499 you don't own it and you can't sell it or modify it and you have to send it back when you cancel. So, basically just divide $499 by the number of months you expect to hang onto it and add $4.99 if you have other recievers and this is your effective monthly lease charge for having an HD DVR. Existing customers would pay $99 for an SD DVR. In all cases if you "upgrade" you will reset your commitment to two years.

got it...thanks for the replies....

so if/when they move to an mpeg4 hd-dvr,...if they offer to switch out my existing one,....its probably safe to assume there will be strings attached I'm guessing...

belsokar said:
got it...thanks for the replies....

so if/when they move to an mpeg4 hd-dvr,...if they offer to switch out my existing one,....its probably safe to assume there will be strings attached I'm guessing...

Definately. I predict they will also charge for the new boxes. I don't think they will swap you our for free even though this is what they used to say would happen.

scotsmanron said:
Also, with new technologies like MPEG 4, we will be able to add more and more features to receivers in the near future at very competitive prices.

That is kind of a funny statement when you look at the older receivers like the E8 or HTL-HD and all of the features that were removed from them when they came out with the H10 & H20. They have been going back wards as far as features, for years now.

I'm going to lock this thread as this has got away from the point of informing people of this change. This cat fight can be taken somewhere else for the time being as it doesn't belong in this thread. I will create my trademarked cat fight thread for the topic at hand.

Continue this thread at the link below.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59097

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)