Installer says GloryStar system won't work!!!

Cemguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
I'm extremely confused.

- I live in central Pennsylvania.
- I ordered the GloryStar "one room with install (Mercury II Receiver)" system with the 90cm dish and, supposedly, everything else needed for "normal" installation.
- I got a call from Buccaneer Communications who indicated they would have an installer call me.
- An installer called me and set up a tentative installation date which turned out to not be feasible because equipment had not yet arrived.
- When equipment arrived, I called the installer and set up a date for the install.
- The date of the install, the installer called me and informed me that the GloryStar system WOULD NOT WORK! He indicated that I would need a huge, motorized dish to make it work. He refused to even try the installation.

Questions:

- Is it reasonable to expect to receive ANY of the stations at ANY time (I realize environmental, weather, etc. conditions could affect signal reception at times) with the equipment GloryStar provides?

- Has anyone in Pennsylvania successfully installed the GloryStar system with the Mercury II receiver and the 90 cm dish?

- Is there any point in my trying to install on my own or have I bought a "white elephant"?

I've left messages with Buccaneer Communications and GloryStar, but this is a Saturday so I'll have to wait until next week to see if they get back to me.

Please Help!!!

I'd suggest sending a PM to Glorystar1 here on the forum. He works for Glorystar. Although I'm sure Glorystar will call you back on Monday I'd still suggest the PM first.

It's obvious to me that the installer had no idea what he's talking about and has never seen a FTA 2 LNB system. Yes, it works just fine and no motor needed. They wouldn't sell it if it didn't work. :D And it's pretty easy to install. I think it took me longer to put together the dish then it did to tune it in.

Again, PM Glorystar and see what he can do for you.

Questions:

- Is it reasonable to expect to receive ANY of the stations at ANY time (I realize environmental, weather, etc. conditions could affect signal reception at times) with the equipment GloryStar provides?
the reason they supply the system they do is because it works. I have the Glorystar system set up and unless its pouring or really dark clouds to the south, it works flawlessly

- Is there any point in my trying to install on my own or have I bought a "white elephant"?
you could install it. It really isnt that hard. They give the instructions on how to do it. But as noted above, shoot a PM to Glorystar1. He'll check on it for you

Thanks for the quick replies.

Please bear with me as I'm new to such forums, but how would I go about sending a "PM" (personal message?) to Glorystar1?

Thanks

normally just click on someones name and there is an option to send a Private Message. I posted a pic on what happens when I click on your name (I erased a couple things as mods only see those)

But here is a quick link to send one to Glorystar1
http://www.satelliteguys.us/private.php?do=newpm&u=71152

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 276
Thanks,

I installed my own Dish Network system.

My only uneasiness about doing the same for the GloryStar system is that, if I can't get it working, by the time I figure that out, GloryStar might not want to take the equipment back (out of packages, etc.).

Hopefully, they can set me up with another installer (I've already paid for the install).

I had planned to pay the installer another $100 or so for a separate pole rather than have him use the mast that comes in the package.

Actually, my old Dish Network mast seems to be the right diameter, so I suppose there's an outside chance I could mount the dish (or have the dish mounted) there, but whatever the installer recommends is what I will probably do, even if it involves some extra expense (short of buying the $4000 dish with motor that the first installer recommended as the ONLY way to get GloryStar to work).

Thanks.

I have one of my dishes mounted on a chain-link fence post that is concreted into the ground and it works fine. You are well within the foot print of both satellites so there shouldn't be a problem. Even if you were closer to the edge you wouldn't need a motor. Bigger dishes are used as a person gets closer to the edge of the footprint like in parts of Mexico and Canada.

I'm extremely confused.

- I live in central Pennsylvania.
- I ordered the GloryStar "one room with install (Mercury II Receiver)" system with the 90cm dish and, supposedly, everything else needed for "normal" installation.
- I got a call from Buccaneer Communications who indicated they would have an installer call me.
- An installer called me and set up a tentative installation date which turned out to not be feasible because equipment had not yet arrived.
- When equipment arrived, I called the installer and set up a date for the install.
- The date of the install, the installer called me and informed me that the GloryStar system WOULD NOT WORK! He indicated that I would need a huge, motorized dish to make it work. He refused to even try the installation.

Questions:

- Has anyone in Pennsylvania successfully installed the GloryStar system with the Mercury II receiver and the 90 cm dish?

I've left messages with Buccaneer Communications and GloryStar, but this is a Saturday so I'll have to wait until next week to see if they get back to me.

Please Help!!!

WHEW!!!! I have not gotten this hot under the collar for 20 years!

That installer is a LIAR!

Now that I have gotten that out of my heart, let's get your system working, and all your questions answered. First, if you go to a post by Glorystar1 and click on the name, you will be given the option to select sending a PM to them. secondly mailto:support@satelliteav.com will allow you to send a message to the company, which goes to the samr place as your phone call.

If you can not get the signal with the dish you ordered , you will never get it with the HUGE dish! But you will get it, if you can clearly see south. I tuned mine in Springfield MO among the oak trees at the creek bottom at CBC trailer park in January in 15 degree weather in about 18 minutes, with a break to warm my hands up!

If you follow the instructions for the system that you got in your package, you can do the job yourself or get a 10 year old girl to help you! (That is a not a slam, but 10 year old girls do seem to follow directions better than almost anyone else. I have 4 daughters and 3 sons, 12 grandkids, most of them girls - boys want to argue!). I posted a thread that Glorystar setup is the easiest setup.

Be sure you load the list (1010 or 2020 instruction) then hook it up and turn it on per the instructions and you can sight it in easily. The Mercury II receiver with the TV picture and LARGE signal meter are so easy to use.

IF you have ANY problems, repost and we WILL help you.

Actually, my old Dish Network mast seems to be the right diameter, so I suppose there's an outside chance I could mount the dish (or have the dish mounted) there, but whatever the installer recommends is what I will probably do,
the glorystar dish should be able to be mounted on the pole you already have

even if it involves some extra expense (short of buying the $4000 dish with motor that the first installer recommended as the ONLY way to get GloryStar to work).

oh my. Sounds like the installer didnt want to do the install and decided to lie about it

Whether you can mount the 90cm on the existing mount or not will come down to two things, the small dish masts are shorter than the Glorystar 90cm masts. And, because of the size of the new dish, you should reinforce the mast with the tripod support legs that come with the new mast, some times there just isn't room to do that.
Bob

You were right about the length of the masts. I was, however, able to replace the Dish Network mast with the GloryStar mast (attach to the already-installed Dish Network "foot plate". I'll attach the tripod support legs.

Then when/if Glorystar sends a new installer I'll let him decide whether to use the existing mount (would be convenient since existing coax to receiver is right there) or plant a post.

Thanks.

Thank you everyone for addressing this situation! Here is a snip of my PM reply:

"I am sorry that a poor excuse of an installer was booked by Buccaneer! It is evident that the installer did not have the knowledge to perform this install or desire to learn!

The 90cm Glorystar system works from Central Canada to Southern Mexico, Hawaii to the Caribbean. We ship thousands of these identical systems each month.

We will contact the installation company on Monday and have a new installer booked for the install."

We will be having a interesting conversation with our installation scheduling company regarding the "PROFESSIONAL" that they booked for this gentleman!

Installers like this are lazy and uneducated fools. They give the competent and hardworking installers a bad name! I have performed several thousand satellite dish installs over the past 27 years and the only ones that were impossible were the "no line of sight" with no other options. We have run hardline and RG11 to the top of hills and around a stand of trees to provide signal. Gaffed many evergreens to lop off limbs (even used a shotgun to prune an offending tree). :eek:

We will get this gentleman up and running. ComGuy, call our tech support or me personally if you want to complete the install yourself.

I would love for you to invite this installer over for a tall cold ice tea and watch Glorystar when we are done! :D

glorystar1,
thank you for a great system and your input and customer service is #1.
thanks for being here in the forums too with updates. glorystar rules !!!!
:) :) :)
god bless
john

rv1pop said:
Way to go! That is the Glorystar I am proud to recommend!
Thanks for your support!

amen to that :up:up

Hopefully they can get it resolved and get the op up with Glorystar :)

I had to laugh at $4000 for a motorized system. Heck, you can take the Glorystar system you get, only put one LNB on it and get a $100 (or less) motor and have a motorized system that works just fine.

I gotta wonder if this installer only does Dish and DirecTV and they sell old C Band 12 footers on the side and thus isn't educated on the FTA community as it is today. Oh well, Glorystar will get it right for you. And like he said, if you want to install it yourself (it's very easy, you've already done more then half the work with the mount) then I'm sure they will help you with that and refund the installation part of the money you paid.

Good luck!

If I can get my system up and going anyone can do it. I had less trouble getting it to work than I did with sky angel when it was done. The co ordinates were right on the money and when I hooked my cable to it, picture was there with very little fine tuning to be done. Was the easiest I have seen to get running. Installer must have been lazy or too tired to do the job. Wish you the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts