Intelsat 903 at 34.5°W and Telstar 11N at 37.6°W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
I will be setting up my WSI 6ft bargain dish soon and would like to know what are the active transponders on 34.5°W and 37.6°W C-band to use in tuning the dish at either location.

Do not waste your time. Those two lacation are pretty much useless. I have been there done that. I would aim it at NSS 806 @ 40.5W instead.

For C-band, 37.5 is for the most part the furthest East you can go without switching to circular.
37.5 does have Metro Tv ITC from South Africa in English that is interesting.

3805 H 2143

Last edited:
Do not waste your time. Those two lacation are pretty much useless. I have been there done that. I would aim it at NSS 806 @ 40.5W instead.
What kind of channels were you able to lock on 34.5°W and 37.5°W when you pointed to those locations? Any strong transponders come to mind for pointing the dish?

For C-band, 37.5 is for the most part the furthest East you can go without switching to circular.
I also saw SilverBird on Lyngsat as being in the clear in addition to Metro TV. What is a strong transponder on that bird? BTW, Metro TV is a Station from Ghana (West Africa), not South Africa.

How did you make out on those eastern birds? I am in the process of setting up my 6 footer and wanted to point it at something strong. I am just north of you I think.

I don't get it
My 10 foot dish have always gone from 139w - 55.5w on C band if that far.
I think I would need a Horizon to horizon dish too go any further west over the atlantic.
Any reason a FTA on C/KU can pick stations further west then we used too over 10 years ago? TT

SilverBird and Metro TV are in the clear at 37.5 w, signal quality 82 with Openbox S10 on a 7.5 Unimash dish

How did you make out on those eastern birds? I am in the process of setting up my 6 footer and wanted to point it at something strong. I am just north of you I think.
Not set up yet. :( I have not been feeling well, but I will be setting it up as soon as I can, hopefully before it gets mad cold up here.

SilverBird and Metro TV are in the clear at 37.5 w, signal quality 82 with Openbox S10 on a 7.5 Unimash dish

Thanks for the info. :D I should be in a better position to try the setup again starting next week or so.

I don't get it
My 10 foot dish have always gone from 139w - 55.5w on C band if that far.
I think I would need a Horizon to horizon dish too go any further west over the atlantic.
Any reason a FTA on C/KU can pick stations further west then we used too over 10 years ago? TT

Based on your location you should be going east.

I was always told
As you go for the satellites in the atlantic you would need a 12 footer instead of a 10 footer.
The further you go the bigger dish you will need.
Still cannot unstand how people can pick up satellites at 33w with a 6 or 7 footerfooter?.........TT

All depends on the footprint(where on the surface the satellite sends (focuses) its signal and the eirp. The Atlantic satellites actually aren't that much "further away". Lyngsat says: NSS 10 at 37.5°W(~10° above my eastern horizon) should get to me(~97°W) at 43-44dbw. Amazonas at 61°W with 35-36dbw. That is plenty. BTW, G 19, almost directly south, Lyngsat says it get's here with a 40.1-43.1dbw strength. Now, those levels may not be actual, and each TP can vary as the power is determined, set, at the uplink, but I think they can be considered "typical" maximums.

Only thing I knew from the past (mid 80s early 90s}
A 6 or 7 footer is if you are in the middle of the states
a 10 - 12 footer if your on the east coast.
Sooo to me being from Northern Nj,It makes no sense in picking up anything
further then 53w with a 10 footer.........TT

The satellites were a bit lower powered then, and the transmissions were almost all analog(the signal is spread across a whole 30mhz transponder). With digital transmission(which only use a portion of a 30mhz transponder) and error correcting algorithms, it's a new ballgame. In '90, I swung the 10 ft'r to look out over the Atlantic, and by golly, I was gettin' NTSC and PAL Gulf War feeds on a couple of satellites. A bit sparklie, but no worse than some domestic satellites at the time. Today I have I-805 at 55°W with studio quality video. BTW, it's the same dish in use today. I also have 30°W on a dedicated Ku dish. That one is only 6° above the horizon. The increase in distance is minimal, as a sat south of you is 22k miles out, Going to the horizon probably only adds another 1000. Just looked at dishpointer, 97°W, my south sat, is: Distance: 38212km, 30°W is: Distance: 40977km That's an increase of 2765 kilometers (1718 miles), basically negligible at a 7% increase in distance. Most satellites, c band, that can be seen in N.A. that are east of 55°W use circular polarization. Requires the dielectric in the feed throat or a circular polarization feed horn.

With my 7.5 H-H the dish can track from 27.5w Int 907 to 135.0 w AMC 10, good signal on all satellites.

i can get to 30w ku with my 90cm, my 10' will easily hit 55w using a 36" jack.

I agree,I have a 24 inch jack
and think you can only go so far,unless you have a horizon to horizon acuator.
I used to have a International feed that ADL or CalAmp used to make,but have no idea
where its at now...........TT

3805 H 2143
I know it's been a while, ( I have set up the 6ft bargain dish and now trying to set up sat positions) can you confirm if those parameters you stated above are still active. I spent close to 2hrs this evening, but failed to lock on anything on 37.5°W. If anyone can confirm this or give me new frequencies, I will appreciate it.

Babadem said:
I know it's been a while, ( I have set up the 6ft bargain dish and now trying to set up sat positions)
I will like to ask if you are able to get c band channels on 34.5w. I am thinking of getting a 6ft dish so that i can watch some Nigerian channels there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)