Interactive weather

Having switched from cable to Dish 3 years ago, I do miss the local on the 8's.
I've said this many times, but for people coming from cable (who liked/used the local weather on the 8s option), this is probably the biggest letdown with Dish (and in the past DirecTV). Of course, you get those who've never had cable who just don't grasp what the big deal is....

If your area has weather subchannels ota

Yep...these are dwindling in many TV markets as stations are adding "niche" programming that provides better advertising revenue. Two years ago, 6 OTA stations I get provided weather on a sub-channel - only 2 now offer it.

Did anyone seen the Weather App on the new Hopper at CES?

This would be there change to fix this issues. They need to add looping local radar, local forecast, Sat maps, like the info you get on Weather on the Eights.

Better yet, now that they moved all locals on to there own Transponder Spot beam for the Prime Time now, they could even add a low bandwidth SD channel showing Weather, it could loop through Radar, Temp, and Forecast kind of like those local sub channel weather stations , only this would be more like the old Weather Scan channel put out be the Weather channel.

What is so hard about just having local on the Eights? If D* has had it for a while, surely E* could do the same?

I agree with this also, seemed like Dish said in there press release that they were coming out with something back when they dumped the weather channel for a few days and when with that other channel, then they came back with a press release saying they reached an agreement with the Weather Channel and they would soon come out with something.

Seems like Dish is not keeping there word so now some on these threads like my self are suggesting other ideas since Dish can seem to come out with anything.

Everyone seems to agree that Dish needs better local Weather.

If your area has weather subchannels ota

I just checked mine, again. It was a national weather presentation, with occasional local briefs. Sigh. At least it's providing a lot more weather than the Weather Channel.

DISH is getting Local on the 8s in the fall of 2006, we just have to be patient.
I think the idea at Dish is "tell our customers we'll give them that soon" and have a part-time intern in engineering look at it. Their time at Dish ends so it starts over with the next intern. Then something more important comes along and resources are pulled from the weather offering. Eventually Dish figures that everyone will forget...

The Weather Channel has basically turned into a hunk of money making junk. When it first started it didn't even have advertising...just weather 24/7 with Local on the 8s (via cable). It would be a real plus if DISH could get the same, or better, product that Directv has for Local on the 8s. An even better move would be to have Weatherscan for all DISH subs, but that would add another spotbeam channel for all markets. The advantage of Weatherscan is its 24/7 without ads and Storm Stories, etc.

The Weather Channel owned by NBCU, is merely an extension of the low rated MSNBC. TWC gets better ratings so NBCU figured why not put some of our MSNBC resources out to get people to watch that waste of time.
There are a few people who are supposedly on camera talent on TWC that should be looking for jobs for small market network affiliates doing fluff stories.
Julie Martin and Stephanie Abrams come to mind. They can take Jen Carfagno with them.

ScottChez said:
Did anyone seen the Weather App on the new Hopper at CES?

This would be there change to fix this issues. They need to add looping local radar, local forecast, Sat maps, like the info you get on Weather on the Eights.

Better yet, now that they moved all locals on to there own Transponder Spot beam for the Prime Time now, they could even add a low bandwidth SD channel showing Weather, it could loop through Radar, Temp, and Forecast kind of like those local sub channel weather stations , only this would be more like the old Weather Scan channel put out be the Weather channel.

I didn't see it, but more than likely it will be the same HTML5-based app that is on the 922 since it's the same software-only faster.

And as to you possible "solution", doing it that way would be an enormous waste of bandwidth and if you limited it to areas that have local transponders that would still leave out a lot of zip codes and would probably lead to complaint calls to Dish from people asking why their area isn't listed. Look at my DMA for example, there are two largish cities about 90 miles apart. The weather patterns in the two areas are not at all alike and would be useless.

How I think it's been done in the past since satellite TV is really a one-way technology unless you have your box phone home either over POTS or the customer's Internet connection. Is that the providers sets aside a data channel that just constantly spools data for every zip code they cover. The customer selects the zip codes they want to see and the receiver just ignores the rest. The data might take 15-20 minutes to go from beginning to end which really is plenty of time to have you weather data still be relevant.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)