Interactive weather

I belive we were told this when dish almost lost weather channel and had a new weather station ready to take its place a few years ago

Why cant Dish either deliver the promised new Weather channel that they had in there Press Release when they signed the new contract with the Weather Channel
OR
Bring back that temp new weather station that they had for a few days.

The Weather channels seems to mostly just show TV shows these days and not the actual Weather Forecast.
While we are at it, how about a NEWS MIX and SPORTS Mix Channel like the other guys and cable have?

Might be a good CES QUESTION to ask.

The Weather Channel has basically turned into a hunk of money making junk. When it first started it didn't even have advertising...just weather 24/7 with Local on the 8s (via cable). It would be a real plus if DISH could get the same, or better, product that Directv has for Local on the 8s. An even better move would be to have Weatherscan for all DISH subs, but that would add another spotbeam channel for all markets. The advantage of Weatherscan is its 24/7 without ads and Storm Stories, etc.

How hard would it be for Dish to put up a LOW Res channel of weather radar, forecast and temps for each DMA?

THey already have each DMA on it own Spot beam transponder for the my PrimeTime service. Just put the channel on there.

The channel could show static RADAR, Forecast, and temps kind of like a scrolling power point page.

Ahh, a walk down memory lane. Look at the two Dish news releases I've attached from May, 2010. This was during the DISH/TWC standoff. Meteorologist Paul Douglas' "The Weather Cast" was launched and aired on channel 213 as a replacement for TWC. Interesting that Senior VP of Dish Network Programming Dave Shull stated, "We believe The Weather Cast is the best available weather service in America." Just a few days later, The Weather Cast was history. I guess the The Weather Cast did make history by being the shortest-lived cable channel!

Attachments

• DISH - The Weather Cast.pdf
    7.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DISH - TWC agreement.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 82
Thank you for addressing the issue about the "bugs" found in the weather channel access on channel 100. I have reported this many times and have even had tech people come and replace my vip612 because of the lockups. I know they weren't aware of the problem. Have to access local weather on my phone because my work is weather related.

Thank you for addressing the issue about the "bugs" found in the weather channel access on channel 100. I have reported this many times and have even had tech people come and replace my vip612 because of the lockups. I know they weren't aware of the problem. Have to access local weather on my phone because my work is weather related.

A National Weather Service NOAA Weather Radio also works quite well and the service is FREE - albeit paid for by our tax dollars. The only cost is the cost of the radio, $20-$60 based upon features. More info here:

NOAA Weather Radio

How hard would it be for Dish to put up a LOW Res channel of weather radar, forecast and temps for each DMA?

THey already have each DMA on it own Spot beam transponder for the my PrimeTime service. Just put the channel on there.

The channel could show static RADAR, Forecast, and temps kind of like a scrolling power point page.
Would it be even easier to have six or so regional SD channels like Primestar had back in the day that showed the radar and weather forecasts 24/7? I think it was Intellicast Weather or something. Don't even bother with spot beams. I'm sure there is some sports channel remaining in NY they could axe to free up the bandwidth needed. ;)

How does D*'s local on the 8's work? I'm a Dish customer thinking of making the switch. I am in NY locals area, but live about 2 hrs north of the city. Would I get my local area weather or NYC's?

it goes by zip code so you can plug in whatever zip you want so you should get the local weather

Lemme try something tonight. I'll change mine to say our cabin which is 2 hours north of Minneapolis and see what happens

Everyone can go over and LIKE WeatherNation TV at WeatherNation | Facebook hopefully they will put this channel on dish and directv in the future. They blow the weather channel out of the water with weather graphics and weather forecasters.

I didn't know that the weather channel still showed weather. Ever since NBC took over its been some idiot taking pictures of crap and a bunch of morons chasing tornado's ... hmm?

Yes, but I was saying the interactive channel 100 or 101.
When I had the Vip211 I had that one, and wasn't just weather.
It even has the scores of games being played, like the ScoreGuide that Directv has, and you can tune to the channels in which the game was.
Now I don't have that with the superawardwinningbestestest 922.

That's because the 922 has a weather app/tile in the main menu.

I didn't know that the weather channel still showed weather. Ever since NBC took over its been some idiot taking pictures of crap and a bunch of morons chasing tornado's ... hmm?

Those chasers save many lives each year with ground truth of actually what is going on with the storm . You can't get that from a doppler radar :)

How does D*'s local on the 8's work? I'm a Dish customer thinking of making the switch. I am in NY locals area, but live about 2 hrs north of the city. Would I get my local area weather or NYC's?

it goes by zip code so you can plug in whatever zip you want so you should get the local weather

Lemme try something tonight. I'll change mine to say our cabin which is 2 hours north of Minneapolis and see what happens

sadly right now they have some crap programming so the weather on the 8's isnt happening (they arent even doing weather) but I get the popup to check weather now (using red button) and the weather does show the cabin (where its a balmy -8 right now...Minneapolis is only 1 out) ;)

I think at 9 they switch to the real weather so I can check then

Having switched from cable to Dish 3 years ago, I do miss the local on the 8's. I know that there are lots of other ways to get weather, but it was just nice having it right on the weather channel. Living 2 hrs north of NYC, the weather is quite different from there, and the northern suburbs tend to be an afterthought with the main networks.

well the weather on the 8's came and right away it popped up the info for the cabin zip and not Minneapolis
tonight in Minneapolis its suppose to be -5
at the cabin -16 :eek:

so you should be OK if you plug in your zip to get weather pertinent to your area and not NY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts