Interesting story: Will Apple's Culture Hurt the iPhone?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
There is a constant tension between openness and closed, which is very much guided by corporate profit. Up to this point, Apple has won BIG; the question is where does the world go from here. :)
Actually, Apple is trying to extend its AppStore success to the Mac platform...
Mac App Store for OS X 10.6 and 10.7 unveiled, coming 'within 90 days' -- Engadget

One day the Mac ecosystem could be as closed as the iOS. Maybe this is St. Jobs' way of fighting viruses/trojans...:)

And don't forget, this is not about open vs. closed, but fragmented vs. integrated...:D:D

Diogen.

I'm sure Apple will stick around. They seem to have invented/popularized the interface that is being widely adopted. They'll keep inventing.

It's RIM that I think is sliding. They are losing their hold on the business market, IMHO.

I'm sure Apple will stick around. They seem to have invented/popularized the interface that is being widely adopted. They'll keep inventing.

It's RIM that I think is sliding. They are losing their hold on the business market, IMHO.

I don't think anyone thinks Apple would fail as a company; the issue is whether the control-freak mentality will deteriorate their dominance? Of course that is complex given the growing maturity of the smartphone market. But yes, RIM should be concerned.

Actually, Apple is trying to extend its AppStore success to the Mac platform...
Mac App Store for OS X 10.6 and 10.7 unveiled, coming 'within 90 days' -- Engadget

One day the Mac ecosystem could be as closed as the iOS. Maybe this is St. Jobs' way of fighting viruses/trojans...:)

And don't forget, this is not about open vs. closed, but fragmented vs. integrated...:D:D

Diogen.
An interesting concept, especially if Microsoft picks up on it. I think Corporate would love to have a one-stop shop for client applications that would also handle updates in a controlled and centralized manner. Windows Updates is great form the standpoint that Windows needs its monthly fix, but what about the hundreds of add-ons and applications that pose security risks and never get patched? Not every shop runs SCCM and not every software can be packaged in an SCCM-compatible form.

If Apple can make it so peoples' third-party apps have been vetted and get patched in a timely fashion, the Internet will be a safer place from the Black Hats.

Regarding the article, Apple may not be the biggest PC manufacturer, or even the second. Just the third. A lot of that is driven by HP and Dell suffering by Corporations cutting back in their purchasing during the Great Recession and the uptick in netbooks from the smaller PC manufacturers. All while maintaining a "closed to outsiders" culture. It's funny that Mac sales have been increasing faster than PC sales, so it seems that people who have money feel that Macintoshes are a better, long-term investment than a cheaper PC.

And Apple is no dummy, either. If you watch TV and see a computer, chances are it's either a MacBook or an iMac. "The Good Wife" on CBS involves a law firm whose new partner introduced iPads to the associates as a way to cut down on paper. Microsoft must have noticed because a few shows are now sporting monitors with huge monochrome Windows 7 logos on them.

Roland- Apple has a long history of product placement in the media and our educational institutions. Our daughter would have had no PC exposure had it not been for the home as her elementary and HS were given Macs by Apple Computer Inc. I worked for one TV show where the producer contacted Apple and got 3 laptops for use in the show Free as long as the Apple logo on the back was prominently displayed for a certain % of the show air time. Apple has a whole department that works this part of their advertising.

You mentioned The Good Wife with ipad placement. I saw on CNBC, the studio desk had ipads on stands for each of the panel members on a talk show. Used to be Dell computers on that show. To know why, just look at the financial tool apps all the big business channel networks are making for the ipad, not to mention the Bloomberg real time stock tracker that comes standard on every ipad out of the box just like Safari web browser.

An interesting concept, especially if Microsoft picks up on it.
You mean closed ecosystem?

Just one thing comes to mind:
"When freedom is outlawed, then only outlaws will have freedom..."
Actually, two
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
----Benjamin Franklin

Diogen.

You mean closed ecosystem?
Diogen.
No, I was referring to the concept of Microsoft working with 3rd-party application developers to make security and version updates available through a trusted channel, like Microsoft does with Windows Updates and Apple is pushing with the Mac App store.

As far as freedom goes, people will still be free to walk into a store or go on-line and buy software for their Mac. Apple is going to bring the highly successful (and profitable to Apple) App Store concept to their OS X users.

I'm sorry that you take me for an Apple Fanboy. I deal with Windows IT for a living and when I come home, it's nice to use something different. It's not like I'm promoting some communist revolution or fascist state where users have no choice in the computer they use or the software they can buy or use.

I'm sorry that you take me for an Apple Fanboy.
When did I do that?
Two conditions have to be met for me to consider a poster an Apple fanboy:
- (s)he has to believe in "magical and revolutionary" as something tangible;
- (s)he has to pretend to be a Windows expert and make generalized negative statements.

I don't recall this applies to you...

Diogen.

No, I was referring to the concept of Microsoft working with 3rd-party application developers to make security and version updates available through a trusted channel, like Microsoft does with Windows Updates and Apple is pushing with the Mac App store.

As far as freedom goes, people will still be free to walk into a store or go on-line and buy software for their Mac. Apple is going to bring the highly successful (and profitable to Apple) App Store concept to their OS X users.

I'm sorry that you take me for an Apple Fanboy. I deal with Windows IT for a living and when I come home, it's nice to use something different. It's not like I'm promoting some communist revolution or fascist state where users have no choice in the computer they use or the software they can buy or use.

Yeah, if they limited the ability to purchase software for the MAC just to their App store there would be a serious outcry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)