iphone vs winmo

The iPhone was the first touchscreen smart phone to "get it right". I can remember seeing the first unveiling of the iPhone a couple of years ago and it just blew me away with its capabilities (which by the way I still own the 1st gen and no I'm not a MacFanatic). Since then all other vendors have been trying to emulate it. True other phones are catching up, some do things better than the iPhone but overall the iPhone just still has "it". Kind of hard to dispute one million in 3GS sales in its first week. I guess iPhone owners aren't the ones starting debates, they just know they have the better product or bought it for their own personal reasons. It's non-iPhone owners that have to second guess and point out a few of the iPhone flaws to what their winmo phone can or can't do to justify their purchase. Not too many iPhone users out there that need to start a debate to justify their purchase, they just "get it".

actually i think winmo users start the debate on purpose. as all the new features being added to the iphone are things we have taken for granted over the years. these new revolutionary things your seeing have been around on non smart phones forever. hence we want to know why all the hype

Listen I will give you guys this, alot of the things the iphone cant do is excuses from apple, No background apps, No video recording on 3g...etc... and why cant we have themes? luckily just like the winmo community you can "hack" your iphone and get these items and alot more...but what makes a iphone is the things it does do, it does really nice and smooth, so I will give apple that!

Listen I will give you guys this, alot of the things the iphone cant do is excuses from apple, No background apps, No video recording on 3g...etc... and why cant we have themes? luckily just like the winmo community you can "hack" your iphone and get these items and alot more...but what makes a iphone is the things it does do, it does really nice and smooth, so I will give apple that!

Yeah...but here's the thing. You don't have to hack your WinMo phone to put any of the customizations or any of the apps I use.

The custom ROMs are built to clean up bloatware, pre-install customizations, use new bases of WinMo that are not released for your device, tweaks pre-installed, etc.

i wasnt even thinking of a hacked phone, but if those are trown in, then winmo gets a big boost for winmo 6.5

This thread is interesting to me since I had a Winmo phone (6800) and I used to loathe the iPhone (and Apple products in general). Then my girlfriend got an iPhone for work and I really sat down and played with it for a while. I will say this: Out of the box, the iPhone is much better imho. It can do more, full web browsing, the iPod alone is great (plus my car stereo controls it fully), etc, not to mention the interface and how the touch works. Now, you can do a lot with winmo phones by adding custom roms and such, but I don't want to deal with that crap anymore, I just want it to work.
I had a 3G and now have a 3GS and you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands! Yes, I did jailbreak my old 3G just to see what the hype was about, but I put it back. Like I said, I don't want to have to "hack" a phone to make it work.

But thats just my $.02 :D

The 6800 had full web browsing. But I do agree...the 6800 was a good try but it just wasn't "there" yet. They have fixed this with the high resolution screen, faster processor, gobs of RAM, better keyboard(no hitting ALT for numbers! YAY!), on the 6850 (Touch Pro) though.

If they upped the resolution to today's standards of at least 480x640, removable battery, microSD card slot, slide out keyboard, and got rid of the app store rules, they would quite simply have the best phone on the market and no one could touch it. Not sure if these have been addressed but it would also need full MMS, video, copy&paste, true multitasking, etc.

The 6800 had full web browsing. But I do agree...the 6800 was a good try but it just wasn't "there" yet. They have fixed this with the high resolution screen, faster processor, gobs of RAM, better keyboard(no hitting ALT for numbers! YAY!), on the 6850 (Touch Pro) though.

If they upped the resolution to today's standards of at least 480x640, removable battery, microSD card slot, slide out keyboard, and got rid of the app store rules, they would quite simply have the best phone on the market and no one could touch it. Not sure if these have been addressed but it would also need full MMS, video, copy&paste, true multitasking, etc.

3GS has full video (and its nice, reportedly 720p capable), cut copy and paste and MMS once ATT enables it later this summer. The 6800 would default to mobile web pages for me and if it didn't it was horrible. Mobile Safari loads the full page, doesn't try for mobile unless its an iPhone optimized page.

3GS has full video (and its nice, reportedly 720p capable), cut copy and paste and MMS once ATT enables it later this summer. The 6800 would default to mobile web pages for me and if it didn't it was horrible. Mobile Safari loads the full page, doesn't try for mobile unless its an iPhone optimized page.

And here we are in Summer 2009 and they are just getting some of these features. That's a shame. I remember sending video and picture mail on my old Sanyo flip phone. Again... I don't understand the iPhone hype since it has been missing so many standard features that have been out for years.

I love my WinMo phone, I did run a custom 6.5 rom for a few days, but took it off cause I could not get one of the apps running with it. My main problem with the iphone is the data plan that is required to use it. I just can't quite justify the 40 bucks for it.

I have a 10 buck plan with my winmo phone.

I was not really impressed with winmo until I installed spb mobile shell, now I love it, and the wifes wants it on her phone too.

I have an LG Incite from AT&T, Verizon in my area sucks, and Sprint is pretty much non-existent.

Yeah...but here's the thing. You don't have to hack your WinMo phone to put any of the customizations or any of the apps I use.

The custom ROMs are built to clean up bloatware, pre-install customizations, use new bases of WinMo that are not released for your device, tweaks pre-installed, etc.

But the problem is if you have a phone that has 6.1 and you load a custom rom for 6.5, isn't that pretty much hacking the phone? You don't have a license for 6.5 so that means you are installing the software illegally doesn't it? I am not sure how this fully works that is why I am asking the questions.

jag- IMO, when you load software on a phone that the mfg or carrier says it doesn't support, that just means it won't assist you if there are technical problems. When you load software that the mfg or carrier says is a violation of the terms of your contract and will cancel your service or warranty, possibly sue you for copyright violations, that is trouble.
Both are hacking.

When I spoke to Verizon a while back about putting an OS upgrade on my phone they said they didn't care but could not help me if I had a problem. Or, I could wait until they issues an "official" Verizon version. If I called Apple and said I wanted to "Jailbreak" the iphone so I could run slingbox etc. what would ( did ) Apple say? What would ( did) AT&T say? I believe they have already made official statements.

When I spoke to Verizon about using PDANET on my 6800, they just said they only support their subscription tether service. If I used PDANET, I need to get support from the software maker.

digiblur-

Thanks for the short review on the 6850.
The increased memory looks inviting. One thing I noticed about it I would lose if I upgraded is the external hardware buttons.

I have an application now that operates my 6800 as a memo recorder in full automatic mode. e.g. When I'm carrying my 6800 in my belt holster and get into a conversation I would like to record, I can discretely reach down and touch the button between the on button and the camera button and it will activate an audio notes recorder called VITO audio notes, and it records my conversation to an mp3 file on the micro SD card. This has obvious uses that I would hate to give up. It would be impossible to use like I do if all I had was a touch screen access to software like this.

Yeah, the missing buttons was a worry of mine too but I quickly got over it when I saw how quick the phone was, the higher resolution screen, memory, etc.

The Verizon TP is gimped on the memory but not as bad as the 6800(all carriers) was. I had to do something for a family member on her 6800 and I could not see myself going back to that phone. I'd wait till the Touch Pro 2 comes out for Verizon, hopefully they won't gimp the memory in their version this time around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)