iPod Touch or other music/video player ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
My wife and I have decided to get our 10-year old son a better music player for Christmas. He and our daughter currently have Sansa Shaker units that they get plenty of use out of and we feel he is due for something better (read: cooler).

I'm not an Apple fan but so far, the iPod Touch (8gb, 3rd gen) seems to be quite appealing. For one, it has a fairly large screen. Most others I've looked at only have 2.x" The other things like WiFi, web browsing and e-mail, and so on are nice too.

I had looked at Samsung's YP-P3 previously. It was about $50+ less, same size screen, but lacked WiFi. It was a Walmart cyber-monday (week) deal but is now gone.

Does anyone have suggestions on other similar players ? The 32/64gb versions are a bit too much money for us (and him) at the moment.

I really think the touch fills the niche perfectly. I have one and I TRIED to find something that would be comparable in screen, overall size, battery, storage, etc for traveling or just general toting around. I looked at a zune, but it didn't take long to rule it out (I have not seen nor used the new ZuneHD's)

The only thing I found that I personally would not mind using compared to the touch was the Archos 5 unit, but still at the end of the day, I just really like the touch and would prefer it.

I'm also not an apple fan, but I have have to give credit to a companies device that works well for my needs even if it is a bit pricey.

The comparably-priced Zunes have a smaller screen than the iPod Touch. The HD models do have a larger screen but are over $200. It is 16gb vs the Touch's 8gb though plus has radio capability (HD radio at that !)... Don't want to go over $200 though. In fact, I was originally in the under-$150 range.

The new 3rd gen ipod touch is very nice; I have the original in 8GB and it is nice. For me, my ipod classic is best in terms of storage, but for a kid, the touch provides not just music but games and video, plus wifi.

I would recommend it

My niece just got one for her birthday. She is 10. She can send text messages and talk on the iTouch (over wifi). Since she has wifi at home and at her friend's house she thinks it is as good as the iPhone. She loves it and has a ton of free apps downloaded too.

Best Buy has it for $199 with a $30 gift card today... Who will they price-match with ? Or, does the $30 gift card add-on negate the deal ?

Details ?

You can send text with any email account. As for talking you can use SKYPE with a headset with mic.

Something that is nice about the itouch is the calculator(Biz Analyst +) and word documents(Docs To go) you get edit and create. The Itouch becomes a mini tablet pc with the apps it can run.

To me the Itouch is the only option. I love my 2Gen 8GB. I use it all the time for email versus my Blackberry Tour.

Skype works with the iTouch. You have to get a microphone (iPhone earphones with built in microphone work with iTouch). You have to be in wifi range. You email the texts.

The apps are great. Her parents approve every app that gets downloaded (it is their iTunes account and she does not know the password). There are all sorts of games and other fun stuff.

avg1joe is right about internet access but in today's world any kid that really wants to can find ways to get on the internet be it friends etc. It's just my opinion but regardless of the method for getting on the net parents need to discuss the use of internet with their children and work out rules for them to follow. There might be an parental app for I touch and I phones as well. Again just my opinion.

avg1joe is right about internet access but in today's world any kid that really wants to can find ways to get on the internet be it friends etc. It's just my opinion but regardless of the method for getting on the net parents need to discuss the use of internet with their children and work out rules for them to follow. There might be an parental app for I touch and I phones as well. Again just my opinion.

You have two options. First there is a built in Parental control on the Itouch. One of the many settings disables Safari. You can also block explicit content from the Itunes store. Second option is to put on this app and not disable Safari.

Mobicip.com - Online Safety 2.0

I don't know if any of these replacement browsers do anything about YouTube, however. Plenty of videos that you probably wouldn't want your kids looking at.

Picked up the 8gb iPod Touch from Best Buy on Sunday... Got a $30 gift card that will probably go towards accessories for it, primarily a protective case.

I've charged the battery, started copying some songs and pictures, and have copied (3) movies to it for him.

My niece just got one for her birthday. She is 10. She can send text messages and talk on the iTouch (over wifi). Since she has wifi at home and at her friend's house she thinks it is as good as the iPhone. She loves it and has a ton of free apps downloaded too.

Back in the old days when I was a 10 year old I used to talk on the regular house phone to friends or go over to a friends house.

Ended up getting a touch for my son and my wife..... When will the novelty of these things wear off ? They're too cool !! I was playing with my wife's last night and she asked "Did you get that for me or for us ?". :D

I do have to ask, how useful or good is the Google Map application ? Depending on WiFi connections for connectivity and location seems questionable. Haven't tried it yet, obviously.

Yeah, I got my wife one for our anniversary a year ago, the day after she opened it, I went and got one for myself. They are cool!

Never been a fan of apple, but the device is very slick, and very useful. Comes in handy when one of us has the laptop, and the other wants to surf on wifi and not use a cell phone.

My main thing is trying to find songs when you are driving with a touch screen only device. I just put it on shuffle.

While I own a ipod touch, I am old school. Got an ipod classic 160gb silver for Christmas. Spent a good chunk of yesterday backing up and building a new music library on the new ipod; I love the new software (my old one was a 5g, before the cover flow). I managed to get artwork for every CD in my collection. Now I have about 100 more CDs to add, but that is a long-time project.

I use the ipod touch just for movies/tv shows in the gym or on a plane.

I was really hoping for the iPod Touch w/Video last September. I would have made the strong suggestion that if my wife got me one of those, I wouldn't be using hers all the time...;) But, alas, now I guess it will be the iSlate or iPad.

I find that the iPod Touch makes a great little travel companion. During your trip, you can listen to music or watch videos, and when your at your destination, you can keep in touch via e-mail and do light remote work via the apps for RDC. Much more convenient than dragging a notebook around, and quicker through Security at an airport, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)