iPod Touch or other music/video player ?

be sure to get him an otter box or some other protective cover for it. tell him to gaurd it if he takes it to school. other kids steal those things like hot cakes.

Question:
I am thinking of getting one of these with my income tax..Ive read that Wifi is built in..This means I dont have to buy extra equipment..It just finds a Wifi connection on its own?..Also, Can I use it say, with my own internet access in another room of the house?..These are probably newbie questions, but I want to make sure this is worth it before I buy..Thanks..

It has a WiFi "adapter" built-in. If you have access to wireless service, I.e. your own at home, at McDonald's, at a shopping mall, etc, etc, it will have internet access.

I have a desktop with Time Warner Cable Roadrunner..Would I have to buy a wireless adapter before using it with Ipod Touch?

You need a wireless router or a wireless access point, if your cable modem's ethernet port is going directly into your computer, you will not have wi-fi.

You need a wireless router or a wireless access point, if your cable modem's ethernet port is going directly into your computer, you will not have wi-fi.

I kind of looked around at Time Warner's website and figured that much out..Thanks for the insight..I am finding as much as I use computers and satellite tv, etc..I am still a newbie on some things..

You can get a wireless router for as little as $30. Worst case, pay TW for wireless.

Absolutely - and you do not need to have a Wireless N for a touch; a wireless G network will be cheaper and just as effective, assuming all you are using it for is the touch.

Absolutely - and you do not need to have a Wireless N...
Given the few number of people that actually do "internal" networking and are using the router for nothing more than sharing a 2-15mb/s internet connection, "N" routers aren't necessary for most ! :D

Well. I took the plunge..Got the "Touch" last night at Radio Shack along with Netgear's "Wireless N 150" router..(59.95 on sale) Considering i'd never tried something this far off the beaten path from what I am used to doing, Connecting the router proved to be pretty easy..The network was easy to set up on the IPod Touch too. Taking the Touch on the City bus routes today, it found all kind of wireless setups..Ate at McDonalds for lunch and tried the Wifi there..worked very well..Put several of the free "music apps" on the IPod..I'll try to put my CD's on it soon..

Put most of my music on the Touch the other day...612 songs..seems like a lot..I love how they separate by artist and by album..Only problem is they mix up some of the the Album Covers..On One, The Everly Brothers became "The Wadali Brothers" and The Statler Brothers "Live, Sold Out" becomes "The Beardo Brothers:Almost Live"..Since then, Ive bought several songs off ITunes, along with some comedy cuts, bringing the total to 656..

...612 songs..seems like a lot..
That's what, 2-2.5gb ? I don't think that's a lot by any means... Apple sells 160gb iPods !! I can't imagine many people having those anywhere near full though.
Only problem is they mix up some of the the Album Covers...
Are these your MP3s ? You likely have incorrect (ID3) information.

That's what, 2-2.5gb ? I don't think that's a lot by any means... Apple sells 160gb iPods !!

612 songs seems like a lot of songs to me. If you guess an average time of 4 minutes per song that's 40.8 hours of music. Most people would never fill up even an 80gb iPod !!

The One I got is 8gb-I added some other songs and apps..It supposedly can hold 1750 songs..I have under 3gb of space left at the moment..

If I put every song on every CD I have in the house, inclunding Christmas and all my wife's cd's not counting what I bought since, I might fill The IPod Touch I have-Never mind 24 or 32gb-Let alone 80 or 160gb..

Between my wife and I, we have around 6-8gb worth of music. I think it's split pretty close to 50/50 between us. What's funny is people buying a 60gb or 80gb or 160gb iPod and putting 2-3gb of songs on it... Fact is, most people have NO CLUE about disk space or how much they are using or need.

My son uses "my" music to put on his touch and has ~2gb worth. He's only got ~2gb of free space left though ... he downloads lots of apps and they must take up a bit more space than I would have guessed. Oh, hang on... just remembered, I put (3) full-length movies on there that are 1-1.5gb each.

It is pretty funny to hear about somebody spending $365 on a 64GB iPod Touch when a $189 8GB iPod Touch or $139 for an 8GB iPod Nano would have done the job just fine.

A 4GB SanDisk MP3 player for $40 would probably also work out just fine.

That's what, 2-2.5gb ? I don't think that's a lot by any means... Apple sells 160gb iPods !! I can't imagine many people having those anywhere near full though.
Are these your MP3s ? You likely have incorrect (ID3) information.

These are songs off regular CD's..some of which I've had over 15 years..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)