Is Astra 3B at 23.5 Deg East receivable at Riyadh - Saudi Arabia ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

al_madhi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
Hi, guys Is it possible to receive Astra 3B at 23.5 Deg East at Riyadh - Saudi Arabia If possible what the recommened Dish antenna size - I know this is a European satellite and its coverage -foot-print far away from Middle East Region But I asked this question when I saw this foot-print for this satellite over the Arabian peninsula ( Saudi Arabia & The Gulf States ) shown below

??? ?????

Looking at the foot-print the EIRP Level = 49 dBW with this power a 60cm dish antenna is enough to receive signal from this satellite . Actually I used a 165cm dish antenna and no signal at all , the dish is aimed directly to the satellite How come I did not receive any signal from this satellite . Is this satellite not for TV-Channels only for Computer Data Informations or what ?? . Please Advice .

Best regards

A.M.AL-MADHI

It looks like this is the Middle East spot beam pattern. But, if you couldn't receive anything on a 165 cm dish, then I'll bet that none of the active transponders on that satellite are currently using that pattern. 30+ years ago I lived in a camperized truck in the desert moving across Saudi as we installed a communications system paralleling the East-West pipeline. I should have had a sat dish with me then in the desert for evening entertainment.

Here are a couple of links which might be of use to you. Astra 3B at 23.5°E - LyngSat

Channels available via ASTRA - ASTRA - SES ASTRA

The polarization is linear on ku band. I think that what you will find is that most of the channels are pay services.

I hope that this might get you started. Good luck.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Kallesatman for respond and help

I am trying to receive some free channels transmitted on these two frequencies 11914 H 27500 3/4 and 11934 V 27500 3/4from Astra 3B at 23.5 Deg East some people have received them in The Middel East Region is it true that this satellite Astra 3B in receivable in Riyadh - Saudi Arabia or not Please Advice

Those two transponders use the Europe Wide beam. That footprint seems to end 400+ km north of you just south of Jordan and requires a 1.5m dish there. Maybe with very large dish, you might pull them in. You're hoping to receive the Middle East spot beam. Don't you have some local sat friends in Riyadh with a very large dish who could try to receive them?

Al-Mahdi, use one of the links which takes you to the individual channel listings and find the frequency and service which you
are looking for. Then on the same line going to the right side of the listing you will see what the area of coverage is. In other word what antenna beam they are using. From the quick look that I did, it appears that most of the services are on the European beam and that most likely won't reach the kingdom. I miss the times that I spent in the kingdom.

Last edited:
Astra satellite in riyadh

Hi,
I read your thread on the web and just wanted to know whether you managed to receive Astra satellite (28.2E) in Riyadh. If you managed to get it, would you be able to let me know how to receive the signals. Many thanks.
Regards

The thread originator seems never to have checked back after posting. Your best bet is to read through the details in this thread, then check the resources available online and ask any specific questions you have. When asking questions, give us a description of the equipment you have or plan to get.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)