More fun with Openbox S9

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jorgek

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Near Toronto

Last week I installed FW OPENBOX_S9.ABS which is C2HS2-11-12-13:0481CMT. Very stable, menu across the top of screen and the feature I really like is the display shows OFF when the box is powered down. It’s a standby mode which keeps the clock ticking although it loses about a minute a day. Today when I hit the power button ON the box locked up and “COPY” appeared on the box’s display and the message “this is a clone” appeared on the TV monitor. The box did not respond to many reboot attempts.

I managed to revive the box via RS232 cable and an older version of firmware. The box came back to life. I reloaded FW OPENBOX_S9.ABS and all is back to normal. System Information shows the chip ID is 98F2 which is not a clone. Will see what happens next!

some euro firmwares might work on it,since it was more like euro receivers of that vintage instead of the s10 I play with.
For the s10 I run opticum hd x100 firmware with the security chip removed,I like the signal beep function for dish aiming and the rec icon disappears when you hit record.You can also resume playback of a movie at a later time from where you left off,like a dvd or tape player does.There is no clone detection but the security chip clashes with the tuner and the tuner won't work with the chip in.

Some of the firmware I've tried shows the chip ID as FFFF, which is deemed a clone box. Most of the firmware though shows chip ID as 98F2 which is not a clone. So is my box a clone or not? This is really confusing. Some firmware advertised as clone safe won't run on my box. Thank goodness for the RS232 recovery process.
Since I like to experiment I don't mind the hassle. However, I'm anticipating that one day the box will brick and I will not be able to resurrect it!

no way to kill the m3602 based receivers,since the micro has code to keep the rs232 port receiving even if the flash is blank or corrupt.I used to kill my s10 many times a day and always recovered.The clone safe had 3 versions,only 1 was for the s9 the other 2 were for the s10,probably your problem.

Cyberham,
That version you are using, what does it appear as in the Infomation menu as version id? Does it have the menu across the top of the screen or down the left side?

I have a FW, S9_11_08_30.abs which is version id C2HS2-11-08-24:0679CMT but it does not have the "clock fix".

I was working from memory. Now I hooked up the S9 (buried in a cupboard these days) and it is actually using C2HS2-11-12-13:0481CMT according to the Information command. I believe the distribution for this fw was called DEEP_C2DS2_CMT_1112130641. It has menu horizontally across the top.

So I see we are both using the same firmware. I've never had the problem you describe occur. I tried newer firmware and went back to this version (I don't remember why). My chip ID is 9D1A.

Last edited:
I think Deep was one of the Amonymous versions that he tinked with. I do like this version and its a mystery why it crashed my box. I have reloaded it since and will wait and see. Its actually been a lot of fun trying different FW. This is what I enjoy about FTA, the experimenting. Overall the S9 has taken a lot of abuse since I got it back in April and it still works fine. The PVR into a USB stick also works great and that's why the clock is important to me. Thanks for your input.

I was plagued with an S9 that mostly worked well once I installed this firmware. I say plagued since this became my baseline and raised expectations for any other receiver. This is why I wasn't as enthusiastic as some when newer receivers came out that worked well too. I placed a working PVR at the top of my list of priorities along with the ethernet port that allowed me to flip user data quickly back and forth on my home network between receiver and PC. A working PVR was more important than menu layout or other features. I'd keep the firmware, if I was you, and wait to see if your problem reoccurs.

I was plagued with an S9 that mostly worked well once I installed this firmware. I say plagued since this became my baseline and raised expectations for any other receiver. This is why I wasn't as enthusiastic as some when newer receivers came out that worked well too. I placed a working PVR at the top of my list of priorities along with the ethernet port that allowed me to flip user data quickly back and forth on my home network between receiver and PC. A working PVR was more important than menu layout or other features. I'd keep the firmware, if I was you, and wait to see if your problem reoccurs.

It's been a month since I re-installed firmware version C2HS2-11-12-13:0481CMT in the S9. Not a single glitch. No freeze ups, stuttering, or reboots. No problems with 720P and 1080i.
Today I hooked up to the Stab 90 and 31" dish. Perfect tracking from 30W to 125W. Did not detect any heat problems with the S9 while constantly driving the motor. I'm limited at both ends by trees. Will see what happens when the leaves drop in the fall.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)