Is my Sonicview 360 Premier dead?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lyn

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Eastern US
First indication of a problem was the disappearance of video and audio. Checked the connections (S-video and Spdif), tried alternate connections, tried disconnecting and reconnecting the unit. Only indication of life was front panel showed a channel number but I was unable to change the channel or get any of the functions to work. Tried turning unit off and on from rear panel but still only get a channel number on front panel and no video/audio.

After reading the thread “Did I Just Brick a Sonicview 360 Premium” I tried to load the cleaner via USB so I could reload the factory software. I don't have a null modem cable to connect to my old computer. First few tries using Menu and OK buttons on front panel got nowhere so I tried using the remote. The USB button on the remote brought up “USBL” on front panel. I don't think it ran the cleaner software though “save” came up once on the front panel. I pressed “OK” and now on bootup I get nothing at all on front panel unless I use the remote to bring up “USB” or “USBL.”

Thinking that maybe the USB did work, I tried to load the factory software but nothing is happening.

Was the disappearance of video an indication that something other than the software was damaged? Is it time to give up and get a new receiver?

You are bringing back fond memories of the day I sold off my Sonicview Elite 360 and got it out of my sight forever. Sorry I'm not much help. I'd rather encourage you to make a fond memory like this for yourself too.

I probably will get rid of it but until I decide what to replace it with, I thought I'd see if I could get it going again. I found a null modem cable and managed to download the factory reset rom file. Now the front panel says "Inst" which I assume means "installing" but it's been like that for about 15 minutes and I can't tell if it is actually installing the software.

I tried reloading the cleaner file several times and now, when I reboot (it does not do this automatically as the Downloader v1.1 program says it will) I get "Menu" on the front panel and if I hit OK, "scan" pops up. Nothing else happens and still no video. Am I making progress or just spinning my wheels?

It's been over 2 yrs since I disposed of the SV I had. Iceberg went thru quite a lot in the thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/243954-did-i-just-brick-sonicview-360-a.html

It was on pg 5, post 44 where the 'magic' cleaner was posted.

When you use the loader(s) you must be very patient for results - it takes as much 30 minutes IIRC. Always start the loaders by turning off, then on, the rocker switch on the back of the stb. Wait 30 seconds between off & on for capacitors in PS to discharge fully.

Read, read, read & then try it again. When the stb is back to factory original a test mosaic will appear on the screen. An only with the RCA av connections.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

In that case, the downloads are going suspiciously quickly. The first file: 360 Premier SAT FILE 06-02-08 takes only a minute or two. The next one: SV360 Premier_V0119P clean syst files 06-02-08.rom takes a bit longer. After it loads, front display shows "FL" and there is a countdown from 20. When this is done, the word "Good" shows up. This should be the point where the directions say do a reboot so I shut off the unit with the rocker switch, wait a full minute and turn it back on. When I do that, I get "8.8.8.8" and then "Main" and then "0000." The "OK" and "Menu" buttons don't work at this point. The other button (timer?) changes the zeros to four dashes, then"12:01" and back if pressed again.

I re-read the directions but clearly, I'm missing something.

In that case, the downloads are going suspiciously quickly. The first file: 360 Premier SAT FILE 06-02-08 takes only a minute or two. The next one: SV360 Premier_V0119P clean syst files 06-02-08.rom takes a bit longer. After it loads, front display shows "FL" and there is a countdown from 20. When this is done, the word "Good" shows up. This should be the point where the directions say do a reboot so I shut off the unit with the rocker switch, wait a full minute and turn it back on. When I do that, I get "8.8.8.8" and then "Main" and then "0000." The "OK" and "Menu" buttons don't work at this point. The other button (timer?) changes the zeros to four dashes, then"12:01" and back if pressed again.

I re-read the directions but clearly, I'm missing something.

Yes, with the loader on your pc screen, COM port selected, file selected, the program will wait until you've turned the rocker switch off then on to begin loading. Like I said it's been 2 yrs. It's all IIRC for me now.

Maybe someone that still has a SV elite or premier can help you out here.

After you cycled the rocker switch , did you then turn on the unit with the remote control? It actually took me a while to figure this out on my Sonicview 8000.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

I just tried it and it changed the front panel display from "12:01" to "0000." I hit the menu button and then "OK" and now have "SCAN" on the display. I'll let it stay on that in hopes that it is doing something. I'm using the composite connection to the TV and still no video.

If you have tried different outputs to the television, then I am stumped. I dont have the SV360, but the SV8000HD is only a little newer and the menus with stock firmware arent that different. You are positive you used the files for the SV 360?

The files were clearly marked for the 360. Since the problem started with the disappearance of video and audio, I'm wondering if there's something other than software wrong.

If you have tried different outputs to the television, then I am stumped. I dont have the SV360, but the SV8000HD is only a little newer and the menus with stock firmware arent that different. You are positive you used the files for the SV 360?

And the factory files for the SV 360 elite & premier are different. Did you do a factory default reset after loading files each time you loaded?

If nothing else you gained experience attempting to revive an stb.:dead

Last edited:
Please explain "factory default reset." Is that turning the rocker switch on the rear panel off for a minute and then putting it back on? If so, yes I did.

I also have a rom file from Sonicview "SV_360Premier_New_Factory.rom" which is newer than the SV360 Premier_V0119P clean syst files 06-02-08.rom file. I haven't used the newer file. Is that something I should do?

BTW, after leaving the unit on all night with "SCAN" showing on the display, I used the remote this morning to turn it off and on and to my amazement the clock had actually tracked the time the unit was on. The clock was never very accurate when the unit worked. Maybe what I'll end up with is a digital clock instead of a DVB receiver?:)

Factory default reset is in the menu, & seeing as you haven't been able to view any av output, then its a moot point. My mistake - was a little tired when I suggested that.
Go back to restoring the stb to shipped from factory original. Its the simplest, most original file for this stb & to verify that its still viable you really need to see the test mosaic from the av output.
If you can't even get that then its dead & done. Accept it & move on.

SUCCESS!! The unit is up and running again. I downloaded the factory rom file from Sonicview USA again to be sure I had an uncorrupted file, transferred it to the 360 and this time it worked. BTW, the instructions on the Downloader program and on the Sonicview support page are incorrect - the unit will not reboot itself after a download is complete. I was rebooting manually anyway but anyone who needs to do this procedure should keep that in mind.

I am now trying to program in Gal 19.

Thanks for your support and encouragement.

Great to hear you finally got it running again! I will keep in mind that the files here may not be intact.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)