Is NFL-ST for 2008 getting too high, will you renew?

Will you renew / add NFL-ST this year?

• Yes

Votes: 32 20.9%
  • No, going to cancel NFL-ST

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Only if I can negotiate Free Superfan

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I don't have & don't want NFL-ST.

Votes: 38 24.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I called and canceled it today. Perhaps if they come out with a sweet offer before the start of the NFL season I will order it again.

They might, they did for me after I cancelled at the start of last season.
About 4 games into the season, they mailed me an offer for the duration + SF (free) for only $125. I bit. Big mistake.

Their "creative billing" practices ended up with my being charged the FULL RATE.
Took 5 months to sort out. Never again.

The only way to get the price down is for a mass cancelling. As long as consumers keep paying through the nose, they will keep charging it. It's time to put our foot down. It's too darn high.

The fact that you have to use internet explorer to use the sling box features of superfan really pisses me off. If it's not firefox compatible (or safari...I'm a mac user) this season, I will definitely be calling in for free superfan. I already pay monthly for HD access...if I can't use all the features, I shouldn't have to pay extra.

Way over priced IMO. I can watch football just fine on my local networks In HD and DNS channels. With Sunday night games and Monday Night games on National TV ,Along with the NFL network games. It just seems your getting less games now then ever, and its double the price. And to pay extra for HD games is the biggest scam there ever was . If you have HD Access why the Hell should you still have to pay extra for HD games when it cost $270 as it is. This is something I would expect out of E*,Not D*!

The fact that you have to use internet explorer to use the sling box features of superfan really pisses me off. If it's not firefox compatible (or safari...I'm a mac user) this season, I will definitely be calling in for free superfan. I already pay monthly for HD access...if I can't use all the features, I shouldn't have to pay extra.

From what I have been reading programing "credits" are getting tougher. I have called once and was not given a deal. I may try one more time. If not I have to decide if I am going to jump in this year and pay for the superfan. I think its going to be a last minute decsion on how the budget is looking, expecially with the price of gas and stuf!!

Do they still offer a weekly rate. I am a Steelers fan living in the Cleveland broadcast area. With Cleveland getting so many prime time games, it looks like the Steelers may have over half of their games broadcast in the Toledo area. It might be cheaper to go the weekly route.

Why is everyone so cheap? I think the price is just about right...as long as all the features are available to all users.

The supercast feature was hit and miss for a few weeks last year and completely unavailable at least week 1...

The bottom line is if you are an NFL fan, you've probably spent a lot of cash on a nice TV, and this $350 or so once a year is chump change. It's like buying a gas guzzling italian sports car...is the price of gas really gunna stop you?

NFL Sunday Ticket is like fuel for an expensive TV...

Besides...if you can't make $350 on a few NFL bets over the course of the season, you really shouldn't be watching football anyway. sh*t, you can make more than that in a fantasy league.

*edit..just noticed that it must be safari compatible coz the ad has a macbook pro it in (supercast).

Last edited:
Do they still offer a weekly rate. I am a Steelers fan living in the Cleveland broadcast area. With Cleveland getting so many prime time games, it looks like the Steelers may have over half of their games broadcast in the Toledo area. It might be cheaper to go the weekly route.

They have a weekly rate - but finding a CSR that knows about it is tought. Last I heard it was $45 or something like that - not cheap.

Why is everyone so cheap? I think the price is just about right...as long as all the features are available to all users.

The supercast feature was hit and miss for a few weeks last year and completely unavailable at least week 1...

The bottom line is if you are an NFL fan, you've probably spent a lot of cash on a nice TV, and this $350 or so once a year is chump change. It's like buying a gas guzzling italian sports car...is the pice of gas really gunna stop you?

Besides...if you can't make $350 on a few NFL bets over the course of the season, you really shouldn't be watching football anyway. sh*t, you can make more than that in a fantasy league.

*edit..just noticed that it must be safari compatible coz the ad has a macbook pro it in (supercast).

Things change during the year and I think with everything going up, many of us are seeing if its still a fit in our budget. I love everything about the NFL, its a great thong to have for fantasy. I have not decided for sure If I am going to renew, but I know its a decsion I am thinking about. I cant speak for everyone just myself. If I can get a bit of a break with superfan it will be a much easier choice.....I shall see

On a side note looks like 25% are basing there factor on Superfan!

The bottom line is if you are an NFL fan, you've probably spent a lot of cash on a nice TV, and this $350 or so once a year is chump change. It's like buying a gas guzzling italian sports car...is the pice of gas really gunna stop you?
A True NFL fan doesn't need an expensive tv to watch football. He would watch a football game on a 9 inch TV if he has too. Most people do spend big bucks on TV's. Which is why most people would rather not spend Hundreds and Hundreds of Extra hard earned $$$$ on additional programming . And No, I wouldn't buy $250,000 car Because its a waste of money. Where do you drive one of them in the USA? To walmart and back? Yea right! And yes the price of gas is why I don't use my $40,000 HEMI Charger as a everyday driver. But it still get better Fuel economy then a $250,000 Italian sports Junk.

A True NFL fan doesn't need an expensive tv to watch football. He would watch a football game on a 9 inch TV if he has too. Most people do spend big bucks on TV's. Which is why most people would rather not spend Hundreds and Hundreds of Extra hard earned $$$$ on additional programming . And No, I wouldn't buy $250,000 car Because its a waste of money. Where do you drive one of them in the USA? To walmart and back? Yea right! And yes the price of gas is why I don't use my $40,000 HEMI Charger as a everyday driver. But it still get better Fuel economy then a $250,000 Italian sports Junk.

It was just an example. And no, I don't think you'd be shopping at Walmart if you had a 250k car. (sounds like you have something against hand crafted automobiles)

It's less than $25 week over the span of the season...I don't think it's that crazy. Instead of going out to eat on sunday, you get some friends to bring food and beer!

If you just consider it "additional programming", you need to re-evaluate your love for the game and pony up the cash...

It was just an example. And no, I don't think you'd be shopping at Walmart if you had a 250k car. (sounds like you have something against hand crafted automobiles)

It's less than $25 week over the span of the season...I don't think it's that crazy. Instead of going out to eat on sunday, you get some friends to bring food and beer!

If you just consider it "additional programming", you need to re-evaluate your love for the game and pony up the cash...

alot of people seem to also be saying its more the principle of it....the whole have to buy the sf package to get hd.

Long time ST subscriber from the early 90's checking in here:

ST has lost it's appeal because the pricing is no longer attractive to me. The fact is that I already have to pay for a qualifying package with HD, which I rarely watch. I also pay for HD that only gets 1/2 of the HD channels because of the tier pricing and then on top of that, they want a lot of $$$ for ST and I still can't get HD unless I also pick up SF. Oh yeah, I have been able for a few years to have them eliminate or reduce the cost of SF, but I also tire of the CS game and fighting to get the "credits"
on my bill.

Professional sports IMHO has priced itself out of my household. Yes, they have the right to charge what they want and for me they have now priced me out of the market.

Besides, I am a Lions fan and that alone should get me some kind of price break:rolleyes:

(sounds like you have something against hand crafted automobiles)..
Only if they are from Italy. The worst reliablity there is in a car. 20 Times more to fix too. They are Flashy cars for Rich Yuppies. I guess the paint is hand mixed too right? Must be why it cost so much extra.

Appears to be hot debate all the way up to September, I am guessing the dust will settle next month as we will have to make that choice next month as auto billing will
start! Even though we have untill before the first game if you want to wait that long.

I just cancelled mine. I have had it the past 3 years and they did not offer me anything to keep it. Just my experience.

The bottom line is if you are an NFL fan, you've probably spent a lot of cash on a nice TV, and this $350 or so once a year is chump change. It's like buying a gas guzzling italian sports car...is the price of gas really gunna stop you?

If your not so cheap why don't you cover my ST expense this year? :D

I have a household income of $90,000. But I have a mortgage, student loans, one car payment, rising fuel prices, $5,000 in credit card debt, $200 a month into savings for 2 kids' college educations, and $400 a month into my IRA. My priorities are to pay off my debt quickly. I will hope to have all my debt paid off in three years, and my mortgage paid off in 9.

Until then, $350 for ST is one month of my IRA contribution. That can compound into $10000 over the course of 30 years. If gas wasn't so much I would pull the trigger like I did last year. Last year our monthly fuel expenses were $180 a month. This last month it was $410. I don't know about you, but I want to retire while I can still enjoy it. The way a lot of folks live their lives today, I am going to be laughing when I am 58 and retired and everyone else my age has another 8-10 years until they can. I'll sacrifice now for what I can have later!

I am going to call them tonight if they can give me a better deal with SF, otherwise bye bye ST.
Not going to shell out 400$ a year for 1/3 of the Sunday's. (I work most Sunday's)

If DirecTV sees a huge drop in subscribers, then I am sure they will give us a better deal next year instead of having another increase.
Can you say 500$ next year?

If your not so cheap why don't you cover my ST expense this year? :D

I have a household income of $90,000. But I have a mortgage, student loans, one car payment, rising fuel prices, $5,000 in credit card debt, $200 a month into savings for 2 kids' college educations, and $400 a month into my IRA. My priorities are to pay off my debt quickly. I will hope to have all my debt paid off in three years, and my mortgage paid off in 9.

Until then, $350 for ST is one month of my IRA contribution. That can compound into $10000 over the course of 30 years. If gas wasn't so much I would pull the trigger like I did last year. Last year our monthly fuel expenses were $180 a month. This last month it was $410. I don't know about you, but I want to retire while I can still enjoy it. The way a lot of folks live their lives today, I am going to be laughing when I am 58 and retired and everyone else my age has another 8-10 years until they can. I'll sacrifice now for what I can have later!

Good thinking! I'm retired and in good financial shape because of IRAs. Now I can pay Directv for ST, premium and a houseful of HD DVRs without blinking. Things got a lot better after the kids moved out too. Good luck with your plan.

...I don't know about you, but I want to retire while I can still enjoy it. The way a lot of folks live their lives today, I am going to be laughing when I am 58 and retired and everyone else my age has another 8-10 years until they can. I'll sacrifice now for what I can have later!

..or you can do what I did and retire at 48.
Of course I had to have 8 knee operations (the last two were total replacements) and I broke my back in two places. Add a few crushed discs (from a car wreck I still don't remember) and some arthritis into the mix and you're all set. :eek: It's hard to tell what helped more, the compound interest or the compound fractures...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)