Is PS3 really more expensive then XBOX360?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Purogamer said:
oh, so we're not talking about 1080 anymore, 4gb out of 20 is acceptable, and MS uses XviD?

I thought it's not that difficult to calculate 1080p when you know 720p numbers and Xvid is pretty much just as effective as VC-1 when it comes to compression/quality...

Hint: that 20GB can hold two 1080p movies..

Nope. Light sarcasm doesn't always translate. You flamed me for saying that HDTVs didn't need HD cables to get HD content. I was begging to differ, but more subtly than was picked up. Reread earlier posts in this thread to see where my response came from....

Let's just leave things as they are, I'm not convincing you that MS will win this round and you're not convincing me that Sony will. I believe that the price point will severely limit their market share. NO game system ever released over $500 has ever succeeded (I define success as reaching higher than 3rd place during any generation.) NeoGeo was the closest. I still think that in pure number of systems purchased, MS will come in first, Nintendo second due to its price point, and Sony third UNLESS they somehow drop the price to get back to the $300 level.

BobMurdoch said:
Nope. Light sarcasm doesn't always translate. You flamed me for saying that HDTVs didn't need HD cables to get HD content. I was begging to differ, but more subtly than was picked up. Reread earlier posts in this thread to see where my response came from....

Let's just leave things as they are, I'm not convincing you that MS will win this round and you're not convincing me that Sony will. I believe that the price point will severely limit their market share. NO game system ever released over $500 has ever succeeded (I define success as reaching higher than 3rd place during any generation.) NeoGeo was the closest. I still think that in pure number of systems purchased, MS will come in first, Nintendo second due to its price point, and Sony third UNLESS they somehow drop the price to get back to the $300 level.

My comment was just a note that not the cable is the limiting factor there...

No. I'm not...... Once again, the cables don't generate HDTV output BUT without a component/DVI/HDMI cable you won't be getting anything more than 480i.

Which, if initial reports are accurate, the tard pak version of the PS3 won't have it..... All things subject to change, of course, when the final product ships. Sony had the worst E3 press conference in years (Ridge Racer!..... um, Ridge Racer!), their prerendered Killzone trailer was nowhere to be seen, and nothing there screamed next-gen, ESPECIALLY compared to games already looking identical on the 360 for much less. GTA is no longer an exclusive, Square is selling Final Fantasy games on XBox (more to follow?), and Halo 3 looms large. BluRay is wowing no one on the gaming front. They are in serious trouble in Japan (regardless of the quarter billion $ tax lien they are fighting off now as well)

UMD support is failing as many studios have ceased production of product based on another proprietary format pushed by Sony through their "dominant" PSP handheld game system. Will BluRay be next?

Hey, I've got a Sony TV at home. I don't hate their products. I hate their attempts to extract obscene amounts of money out of my wallet since they can't negotiate a standard that takes other voices into account. If there was a unified HD DVD/Blu Ray next gen DVD spec, I probably wouldn't be pushing so hard for them to fail.

BobMurdoch said:
No. I'm not...... Once again, the cables don't generate HDTV output BUT without a component/DVI/HDMI cable you won't be getting anything more than 480i.

Which, if initial reports are accurate, the tard pak version of the PS3 won't have it.....

FYI: both consoles have component thus HD-ready output - you're confusing the lack of HDCP-compatible (HDMI) output with lack of HD output.

Sure you are going to be able to purchase a PS3 for $499 with what? Sony is loosing $600 on each system. Expect them to include nothing to cover their loss. Your going to be looking at near $1000 for everything you need (that means games at 60 bucks a pop on the cheap end). I don't know about you all no video game system is worth that kind of money to me.:confused:

justinndover, have you lost your mind? You will get everything you need to play games for $499 including a hard drive, ethernet , wireless controller. What else do you need besides maybe a componet cable if one is not included? That cable is not going to cost you $500. And do you buy every game that comes out on a system? I don't think so.

Most people on a new system release buy two to three games. That is it. What add-ons are you going to need? This is not the XBOX360 core in which you do not get wireless controller or a hard drive. You are not playing with Microsoft here , they always make you pay extra, no you are dealing with Sony and their core system will be equal of the XBOX360 premium right out of the box -- no extras required!

$1000 -- why not say $2000 - makes as much sense!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ok, again, I ask, why does it matter if PS3 has Blu-Ray? If that format folds under, you will have what? A game console! (if it doesn't you'll still have a game console, but you'll be able to play some movies that are Blu-Ray format) If you think that because Sony is a part of the Blu-Ray camp and that means it will be the format that becomes the only HD format, then I'd ask that you research other Sony ventures into "future" formats, etc... You'll find that very few ever take off--if any. Of course, Sony has done very well with the Playstation family (I, II, and PSP), and I still see several movies in their format for PSP at my local wal-mart. However, this doesn't mean Blu-Ray will be a widely accepted format.

Now, if say a year from now, when or if Blu-Ray becomes the only HD format, and Sony decided to add a Blu-Ray drive to their consoles, I wouldn't see a problem with that. But now, with the future of Blu-Ray being so unknown, PS3 having a Blu-Ray drive means nothing. Because it could become a waste of money, space, and time.

tonyp56, I do not believe we will see a clear winner until maybe 2008 if even then. Right now there are more manufacturers of DVD players and more movie studios in the Blu-Ray camp then in the HD-DVD camp. The current limit to one layer on the current Blu-Ray movies released and the very poor end product on the currently released movies does not bode well for the Blu-Ray camp.

However, we are only looking at the Samsung player whose regular DVD players all have problems with their HDMI outputs and they also crush whites and blacks. In the last five years they have not made a player that does not have these problems so I can not reasonably look at the current reviews without a grain of salt. Of course Sony shares in this initial embarreshment by letting Samsung be the first out of the gate and by producing some very bad Blu-Ray conversions. Perhaps they should have held their movies out until they get the second layer working (which they will).

There are people who support one or the other camp. I support both. With competition you will always get better product quicker in the life cycle. That is just how competition pushes the market. I do not see either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray going by the wayside anytime soon and I hope they both survive. This will bring lower cost players with better features and better HD movie conversions alot faster than if only one format survives. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts