Is there a difference between dish network co-ax cable vs. some premium co-ax

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

happy hopping

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
North America
The cables that I have says "Dish Network RG-59/U coaxial cable"

But now I bought a Hopper, is there some better cable that can make a difference in viewing? Or is the above RG-59/U good enough?

Where do you have RG-59 installed? If it's coming from the outside dish to your receiver, it needs to be replaced (upgraded to the better) with RG-6 coax.

If it's going from the receiver, to the back of your tv set and you then tune your tv set to a particular tv channel to watch, then it's fine. That won't be HD though. For HD channels, you need either HDMI or Component cabling from the receiver to the tv set. I'm not sure if the Hopper has Component outputs though, and if not, that leaves HDMI cables only.

The hopper does. The Joey does not. From dish to node, and node to hopper needs to be rg6 cabling. From node to Joey, it can be rg59, but depending on your activity, you may experience some issues(might as well upgrade that cable to rg6 as well). Make sure it is rated 3GHz.

The outside cable is RG6. I just got the Hopper, so from node to hopper, I'll get the RG6 cable then, as currently the cable sitting here are Rg-59. Thanks for the tip

What if the cable (about to be purchased) is rated at 3.5GHz instead of 3GHz? Would it make any difference in picture quality or other features?

Last edited:
That would mean that it was tested to a higher frequency. No difference in picture quality. The main improvement you are making is using RG-6, less signal loss.

The wire in rg 59 is much smaller diameter than rg6. If your cable says Dish Network RG59, then it must be really old. I am sure Dish quit using rg59 years ago, if they ever did.

The wire in rg 59 is much smaller diameter than rg6. If your cable says Dish Network RG59, then it must be really old. I am sure Dish quit using rg59 years ago, if they ever did.
Yes they did back in the "C" band days, there was probably some left overs being used for the first years of DBS. Probably in the 15 year old range

Reactions: primus420
Just want to make sure, the OP is not trying to swap out his previous 222 for a Hopper, without including a node. Also, if you are just looking I add a hopper onto the account, it has to be all hopper and Joey ewuipment(you can have up to 2 211's), but from your recent posts, the 222 will not work with the hopper

I didn't even think that any DBS provider ever used or recommended RG-59 coax. I believe RG-6 was always recommended.

I know Cox cable used rg59 in my parents house, up until recently when my dad upgrade his man cave to HD. They also had wiring in there that was done 25+ years ago, so that needed fixed/replaced.

How did you get your Hopper without installation by a dish installer?
If Dish installed your Hopper they should have used the proper new RG6 cable.
I get all my dish receivers , sat dishes ,switches etc from www.dishdepot.com . Mark is great to work with and he allows trade ins for older owned receivers towards credit for new ones. Free shipping and NO TAX if you live outside of the state of Florida. I've done all my upgrades through Mark now for the last 11 years.

I get all my dish receivers , sat dishes ,switches etc from www.dishdepot.com . Mark is great to work with and he allows trade ins for older owned receivers towards credit for new ones. Free shipping and NO TAX if you live outside of the state of Florida. I've done all my upgrades through Mark now for the last 11 years.

Is this a paid advertisement?:biggrin

It's starting to feel that way, that's atleast the 9th time I have seen it in the pat month. Almost word for word.

Reactions: Hall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts