Its been long in the coming but I cancelled sirius

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Well over the weekend I decided that I had had enough of listening to commercials for disfuntion and sensual products or having the same comedy line up repeat every 4 hours and every 4 days. I also had had enough of various DJ's on the music channels talking about what they liked and didnt like and how poor they are or something else that I just didnt want to hear about when I want to listen to music. The last thing that was a clincher for me was that I would loose signal so easily wether driving under some tree branches or in one repeatable instance past a dairy queen and tow yard facility ( I relocated the antenna so many times it made no diference ).

I dont think I will be going back any time soon, its not a money issue for me but more a quality of equipment issue when the guy in his car next to me who is sitting under the same overpass that I am is listening to his xm unit while Im looking at a screen that says searching for signal. Its also that Im paying to listen to the same thing that is on terestrial and the adds were always tougting commercial free radio, well make it DJ free and you might have something worth listening to but also play songs that are on the A side of the albums aswell. Lastly do we really need to hear commercials for E.D. specialy when the large portion of the market that actually uses this stuff are guys in their 30's and 40's that have no E.D. problems or those who are doing various types of illegal drugs and they need something to counteract the effects?

Totally agree with the DJ's needing to cut on the yack. A number of years ago there was one DJ that I swear talked more then he played music, I think he's gone now. But with that said I'll be keeping them, I had a rental car this past weekend and remember now why I got Siruis, it's still a ton better then FM.

I couldn't stand listening to the 80's channel. The MTV "jocks" were very annoying. On 4th of July a few years ago, Mark Goodwin brought his son in with him. Talk about entertaining! And "Greg Brady" as a DJ on the 70's? Forget about it. Switched to XM. They still have annoying DJs, but they don't push themseleves on you nearly as much as Sirius.

I haven't had any issues with signals in my installation. I was actually shocked how well it perfectly kept screaming through the trees on this one country road that is almost 100% tree coverage.

I haven't noticed any long winded djs lately but maybe its the stations I listen to. Sirius only claims commercial free music.

Now if they don't renew Bubba's contract on 101 then I am gone.

I have the starmate replay auto kit and the unit itsself is fine but I suspect that its the antenna that is the problem for the loss of signal both from physical objects and terestrial interferance. The wire that runs from the antenna to the head unit is incredibly thin and this I believe doesnt allow for a proper signal path and powering of the antenna if it is powered.

For the last 5 days Ive been listening to terestrial radio and really its not bad like I had believed wich was inpart due to listening to much to stern and his rantings about being squelched by the fcc wich I can now see why they would want to.

Now if they don't renew Bubba's contract on 101 then I am gone.
I like Bubba and think he is better than stern but he should realize that he is an asset to sirius and the only thing he owes to stern is getting him the opportunity to have a show again. If he really put time and effort into advertising then he could with some work take over sterns spot.

ive had my unit for over 4 years, and all i can say it seems to perform better then some of the newer units. its the under seat type with the antenna about the size of a computer mouse.

i couldnt be happier. and when stern, bubba and ferral showed up it was a bonus.

I am not making this into a bash Sirius thread because if there were no XM I would have Sirius again, but I switched very early on because for me XM was better. Not just in content (less DJ talk, and more appropriate when they do) but the signal is indeed easier to keep with XM than Sirius. (That isn't opinion, it is fact - been talked about many times in various tech mags) Has to do with angle of the signal.

I have the starmate replay auto kit and the unit itsself is fine but I suspect that its the antenna that is the problem for the loss of signal both from physical objects and terestrial interferance. The wire that runs from the antenna to the head unit is incredibly thin and this I believe doesnt allow for a proper signal path and powering of the antenna if it is powered.

For the last 5 days Ive been listening to terestrial radio and really its not bad like I had believed wich was inpart due to listening to much to stern and his rantings about being squelched by the fcc wich I can now see why they would want to.

I doubt it is the issue with the small wire as everyone would have problems. I don't have repeaters in this area so I'm 100% satellite signal here. Everyone time I go to my friends house way out in the country down this 100% tree covered winding country road I still think to myself, "satellite technology shouldn't work like this", as the radio kicks along without a hiccup.

We have two of the starmate 3's and one of the starmate boombox's. I love it. I rigged up a 12vdc sealed lead acid battery(kinda like the ones in UPS's) for extended beach usage and other outdoor activities. It's a lot cheaper then burning up some D batteries, plus the bigger battery lasts a lot longer.

I am not making this into a bash Sirius thread because if there were no XM I would have Sirius again, but I switched very early on because for me XM was better. Not just in content (less DJ talk, and more appropriate when they do) but the signal is indeed easier to keep with XM than Sirius. (That isn't opinion, it is fact - been talked about many times in various tech mags) Has to do with angle of the signal.

I've heard the Canadians subs like Sirius a lot better due to the orbit type of the Sirius satellites. If you ever watch Ice Road Truckers on the history channel, you'll notice all the drivers have Sirius radios on the dash.

The weird orbit does cause problems for some people, especially the stationary non-automotive peeps. But Sirius is supposed to be launching a geo-stationary satellite.

I doubt it is the issue with the small wire as everyone would have problems. I don't have repeaters in this area so I'm 100% satellite signal here. Everyone time I go to my friends house way out in the country down this 100% tree covered winding country road I still think to myself, "satellite technology shouldn't work like this", as the radio kicks along without a hiccup.

We have two of the starmate 3's and one of the starmate boombox's. I love it. I rigged up a 12vdc sealed lead acid battery(kinda like the ones in UPS's) for extended beach usage and other outdoor activities. It's a lot cheaper then burning up some D batteries, plus the bigger battery lasts a lot longer.

I have to Agree with you , I have my XACT on my SUV since I moved back from Florida and I can tell you there's no difference in audio drops here than I had there,and notice I'm "out" of the footprint of the Sirius Satellite according to them.:rolleyes:

I had heard in the past that people had signal issues with the same antenna on the first gen replay's so its something worth looking into wich after finding out that Sirius wouldnt cancell the service and instead put it on a 3 month free cycle again ( I had called back in feb to cancel due to finances and they put it on a free cycle then ) even though my wife told them that we wanted to cancel.

i think xm has more terrestrial repeaters the sirius, which helps with the signal issue

I am a mechanic so I listen all day long in the shop XM rocks Sirius no signal.
easy choice for me.

Funny but here in Seattle area Sirius comes in better then XM all over Washington. I have both in my car and have for years. I like XM for baseball but the Comedy is way better in my opionion on Sirius. How can you not like Jim Bruer. I think his show rocks. Love Bubba and most of the stuff on Sterns channels. Music I dont listen to much but find the same on both. Talk much better on Sirius. Guess its to each his own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts