It's funny but true...

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
Bay Area
MOOV, (as bad as this channel is *IMO*) has some of the best looking HD sometimes. There is this one video that shows this model train, and it has to be in the top 5 best looking HD visuals I ever saw. So detailed, and crisp. If you've seen it you'd know what it is I'm talking about. It just looks spectacular.

GeneWildershair said:
MOOV, (as bad as this channel is *IMO*) has some of the best looking HD sometimes. There is this one video that shows this model train, and it has to be in the top 5 best looking HD visuals I ever saw. So detailed, and crisp. If you've seen it you'd know what it is I'm talking about. It just looks spectacular.
How bout that melting ice cream Jay?-seen that yet?

astrossuperfan said:
you guys actually watch this channel?

no I don't really watch it, but while flipping thru channels I do notice great HD PQ, and that train one is still the best, and yes I have seen the ice cream melt, that is very good too.

Its sorta like your wifes new teddy. Yeah it looks great dear, now lets get it off and move on to more important things

I just wish we'd get something more than Flug Tag... I mean, it's funny the first time. But MAN is it getting old.

Jeez fellas...its an evolving channel. Just like most of Vooms exclusives. Give them a little creative room. I for one like the channel. That being said I don't watch hours of it but catch 10 minutes here and there and leave it on when I have parties. The Mars pannorama is spectacular. I felt like I was there. Very cool IMHO.

-Chris

I saw a stream scene last night. Had never seen it before....awesome. I think the music was symphony. Talking about a nice wind down from the day! Very nice. Moov has its time and place....I like it.

evolving? It a place for "artists" cough to display video art. LMAO. Give me a break. Thats an art form? there are people that watch that? Its nothing more than an HD screen saver. A total waste of valuable bandwidth. Voom needs content to survive, content that will bring in subscribers. I would gladly lose all two of the voom MOOV channel subscribers for 100,000 ESPNHD supporters. Currently the discovery HD channel looks bad as well as others, and moov is suckin up bandwidth. ALL that art belongs on the MOOV website not on TV suckin up resources that could contain programming.

I'm one of the wacky ones Vurb. I have enjoyed it on occasion. But you make a good point. Question is, is bandwidth the issue with Voom's current programming situation. They could be be just "filling" the spot until other channels come available. Or they've got the room and just can't add additional programming until the red tape/formals are complete.

I also enjoy Moov! It's a wonderful for technology demonstration. I usually leave it on in the background while I mix my own music. When i have friends over, they see the Moov channel and usually they get all excited once they see it. It's not so much the movie channels that turn them on, it's these new fun channels like Moov, Gallery, Ultra, etc. that get them going.

I do hope they keep these channels, but true, I'd prolly give it up for HDNET.

-GT

Voom (Wilt) has repeatedly said bandwidth is NOT an issue. They have planned for 39 HD channels, and are even filling the transponder with blank bandwidth to simulate a full load at all times. Dropping it, unless you have MORE than 39 HD channels to add, gains nothing.

-MP

bandwidth may not be an issue after Mpeg4. AS i recall Wilt initially said he thought that they had hit some sort of limit. In any case dropping it frees up apparently transpoder space that isnt screwed up, IE discovery channel, take a look. I guess its just coincidence that bravo and encore was added and everthying took a nose dive

Yes, it was :). Or at the least, it was not bandwidth related. Again, they run at a full load all the time, regardless of the number of real HD channels they send to us. They duplicate transponder data from existing channels to fill the blank space. So regardless of how many HD channels we see on our end, Voom is pushing the data for a full load (39) through the transponder at all times.

Again MOOV= worthless waste of bandwidth. And that bandwidth is broken up per transponder, 50mbs/transponder I believe, and it is possible to run into bandwidth limitation on a per transponder basis. My guess is they had to up the compression on certain groups of channels to squeeze into a transpoder space and ran into problems. The 39 HD channels is probably some quick calculation not taking into account all of the variables. My guess is they will not be able to do it and maintain high quality standards without going to mpeg4 from mpeg2. Also cinema10 should become cinema5.

vurbano said:
My guess is they had to up the compression on certain groups of channels to squeeze into a transpoder space and ran into problems.
vurbano, with all respect, your guess, as good as it may sound, is just that - a guess. And as madpoet mentioned above, this guess completely contradicts with what Wilt stated many times in the past. Wilt has all the facts and knows the real situation. None of us so far had any reasons to doubt Wilt's honesty. So, if Wilt says that they've been running all 39 HD channels at full load from day one without any effect on picture quality, why should we not trust him on this? Wilt has also explained what may have caused the PQ degradation over the past couple of months: the encoder upgrade, not the addition of the channels. So, from this standpoint, any HD channels are better than no channels at all, at least until we reach the 39-channel mark.

As for MOOV, I think this is great and admirable that VOOM and Rainbow are not afraid to push the limit and experiment with new forms of arts and offer unprecedented channels and programs. I am sick and tired of so-called "most favorite channels" and really excited to see a fresh wave of channels, especially artistic channels, like Gallery, Moov, Ultra or BravoHD+, for that matter. Yes, they have not matured yet, don't have enough programming and selection is not yet top of the line. But give them a chance! Remember, they are infants! They are 6 months old!

And no, I wasn't among those 2 who included MOOV in their favorites, but I would readily trade a bunch of SD channels that I never watch to keep MOOV alive, even if I don't watch it too often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)