Itunes through DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BigStein

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Is there a way to wirelessly stream Itunes music from my laptop, through my DVR and into my stereo system? My MacBook and DVR are both connected to my network (wireless for laptop and powerline for DVR) and my DVR is connected to the stereo. Did a search on here and on apple.com but have not come up with anything. Anyone know if this can be done?

No, because most of the music that Itunes uses is encrypted against piracy and wont play with out Itunes software or an Apple TV. You could purhcase an apple tv and hook it directly to your stereo and TV and do it that way. I have one and love it.. Its great to rent movies off of too. :)

If you have unencrypted MP3 files (like those ripped from a CD), you can stream them from your Mac to your DVR (HR2x, R22) using EyeConnect. I configured it to point to my iTunes library. It can also be used for MPEG2 video and pictures. There is a 30-day free trial, but it will continue to work for audio after that. I use it all the time and found a bunch of public-domain old movies at http://www.archive.org that I have been able to watch with my HR20.

Yeah, if I want to do something like that I will just go with Airport Express, as it will be a lot cheaper. Of course, I can just connect my laptop directly to the stereo and use my Iphone as a remote to control it. Less convenient, but since I may be too cheap to spend $100 it may be my best option for now.

I also use Elgato's EyeTV software with a HDHomeRun networked digital OTA tuner and anything I record is automatically linked to EyeConnect (although Media Share doesn't really like high bit-rate video).

Unless I have it wrong it looks like EyeConnect only allows you to control music from the DVR, I am looking for something to control the music at the computer and just sent it to the stereo. Looking more and more like I will need to ask for Airport Express for Christmas.

How far from your computer to your stereo? If less than 30 feet, here's what I use. Bluetooth transmitter plugs into USB for power and music. Transmitter plugs into AC power and RCa jacks on stereo. Works great for me, after initail setup problems when I didn't insert USB transmitter into USB jack properly. Cost less than $30.00 incl. Shipping.

JENSEN WBT430 BLUETOOTH USB STEREO AUDIO TRANSMITTER - eBay (item 140277528574 end time Nov-24-08 14:31:14 PST)

Universal Bluetooth Stereo Receiver | JENSEN | WBT310

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)