I've about had it.........

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slick1sb

Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
/rant on/

I realize this is only television and there's more to life, but what the hell am I paying for? Thanks to the wizards of smart at DTV and their money grubbing bs, we have this wonder device known as the Directv dvr. A wonderful pile of crap that works when it wants and randomly gets updates sent from on high, usually before testing. It seems I have angered the DTV gods as all my programs were deleted and everything reset during this last cluster foxtrot. Oh....why has tivo forsaken me..............oh thats right, THEY DIDN"T! DTV did!

That new DTivo can't come soon enough.

I know there will be a few of you that will tell me how you've never had a problem, how great the wise and wonderful DTV is or how I should just OTA to watch while it's updating. I'm way out in the middle of now where, so save it. I really don't care. Just the fact that there's random issues on the same hardware should signal a problem, a big problem. Gone are the days of choice, choice of hardware. I'm also amazed at how back when there was a choice, everything seemed to work pretty well. Now that the great and powerful DTV is charge its like a monkey screwing a football. I'm getting feed up with a product that isn't providing what we're paying for. This is a frustration that none of us need or want.

We just want it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I would expect this crap from a cable company. I guess thats what they're trying to become, how sad.

/end rant/

BTW, call and complain. I got the dvr fee waived for a while.

That new DTivo can't come soon enough.

i agree with that! come on DTivo

Given the choice, I will take the HR** over the TiVO any day. Have both and had the TiVO much longer, like the HR** better. It is nice to see them give subs an option though. One seldom goes wrong when there are other choices available.

Given the choice, I will take the HR** over the TiVO any day. Have both and had the TiVO much longer, like the HR** better. It is nice to see them give subs an option though. One seldom goes wrong when there are other choices available.
There's nothing in this world I hate more then ,Boston RedSocks , Dallas Cowboys, IRAQ,and D* HD DVRs:)

There's nothing in this world I hate more then ,Boston RedSocks , Dallas Cowboys, IRAQ,and D* HD DVRs:)
For me it is the Giants, and (I'll leave the politics out of this), and lack of choices. I don't hate TiVO, I just prefer the HR20. Besides the freeze up yesterday, I have yet to have a single issue, and it is so much more user friendly. Come on, how difficult could it be for TiVO to put an off button on the thing? Why should one have to navigate through folders and menus just to turn the damn thing off/standby?

There was a freeze up yesterday? I turned on my TV to watch "The Shield" and I was greeted by the upgrade screen.

Come on, how difficult could it be for TiVO to put an off button on the thing? Why should one have to navigate through folders and menus just to turn the damn thing off/standby?

Actually, if you had a Logitech Harmony remote it turns it off for you when you press the power off button. That was one of my biggest pevs of the TiVo was spending that extra time to put it in standby. The Harmony eliminated that.

Come on, how difficult could it be for TiVO to put an off button on the thing? Why should one have to navigate through folders and menus just to turn the damn thing off/standby?

Well who (besides you & Wesro) even CARES about shutting it off - there is absolutely NO need to, you realize? You are NOT saving ANY electricity & it will NOT make it run any better or worse, so what IS the point. (other than if the user has OCD disorder or something like it :p :D )

The ONLY DVR's that need to be shut off are the E* units - and THAT'S only because they were (stupidly) designed that way - ALTHOUGH they DO do this themselves, so again, even they don't need to be manually shut off.

DVR's were made to run 24/7, so if properly designed, should never need to be turned off for normal use.

Last edited:
Well who (besides you & Wesro) even CARES about shutting it off - there is absolutely NO need to, you realize? You are NOT saving ANY electricity & it will NOT make it run any better or worse, so what IS the point. (other than if the user has OCD disorder or something like it :p :D )

The ONLY DVR's that need to be shut off are the E* units - and THAT'S only because they were (stupidly) designed that way.

DVR's were made to run 24/7, so if properly designed, should never need to be turned off for normal use.
Doesn't matter. It is just one example of the fact that something so simple is made so complicated. The HR series is so much easier to navigate. Folders are easier to access. It also has many more features. It has nice short cut keys. I have used a TiVO of one form or another for many years. I have used the HR for almost 2 years. When I first got my HR I still preferred the TiVO. Once I got used to it, I much prefer the HR.

Last edited:
I had a weird problem the other day... lost power and had to flip the breaker. When my HR21 loaded back up.. no HDMI. Several reboots, switching ports, etc no luck.. out of nowehre it came back 40 mins later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)