I've about had it.........

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I had a weird problem the other day... lost power and had to flip the breaker. When my HR21 loaded back up.. no HDMI. Several reboots, switching ports, etc no luck.. out of nowehre it came back 40 mins later.

Sounds like a power surge. Any lightning in the area lately? If so, it's possible other devices might start misbehaving soon. Good ol' electricity, always breaks things in its own time.

You're lucky it came back, but call D* if it acts goofy again and try to come up with a good story since I'd guess Lightning/Power Surges aren't covered under the basic warranty. This is where the protection plan might be work it.

true. E dvr's are always running.

OK, I'll rephrase it for you all... :rolleyes:
They ARE required to be put in "standby" mode, so that the EPG can be updated, which is usually overnight. If it is never put in standby, your EPG WILL eventually get out of date & I'm quite sure you know this.
ALL the other DVR's out there do NOT have this requirement - they are NOT required to be "shut off", put on "standby", or whatever you wanna call it. They just simply RUN 24/7 & the EPG stays updated & I don't have to deal with it.

OK, I'll rephrase it for you all... :rolleyes:
They ARE required to be put in "standby" mode,.
Updates are automatic everyday at what ever time you wish. If your watching tv ,it will ask you , If your not watching tv , the updates go on as planned. Your receiver doesn't require anything of you to receive the updates.
So don't give the false info that they have to be shut off in order to receive updates,Because they don't. I never shut my equipment off. They will automaticlly update.

If your watching tv ,it will ask you , If your not watching tv , the updates go on as planned. Your receiver doesn't require anything of you to receive the updates.
So don't give the false info that they have to be shut off in order to receive updates,Because they don't. I never shut my equipment off. They will automaticlly update.

Oh GEEZE LOUISE - THEN THEY SHUT THEMSELVES DOWN INTO STANDBY, AT SOMETIME, TO GET THE UPDATES!!! :rolleyes:
The point is - they HAVE to go into standby SOMETIME, which during that time, means you CANNOT watch the DVR - PERIOD! That's ALL I'm saying.
And yes you are absolutely correct - they will go into standby BY THEMSELVES at sometime.
I'm sorry that I said that YOU had to do this for them - I was incorrect on my wording. I went back & fixed it.

Other DVR's do NOT ask you if they can, because they do NOT have this limitation of EVER needing to go into standby for guide updates! All the D* DVR's are constantly updating via the "trickle" extended guide, which is why they do NOT need this.

So, DON'T give the false hope that they never go into standby - 'cause they DO. I DO actually have these, you know... :rolleyes:

Dang - ALL I was trying to point out, is that WHETHER you have an E* DVR OR a D* DVR, it's silly EITHER way to shut them off.
And YES, you ARE correct - the E* DVR's do go into standby by themselves, so again, there IS no need to do it yourself.

Last edited:
:tux:

You know, I am honestly trying to figure out how it going into standby to update at sometime when 99.9% of people dont notice it is a "limitation" for any DVR. Seems like a non issue to me, but thats just my opinion.

:tux:

You know, I am honestly trying to figure out how it going into standby to update at sometime when 99.9% of people dont notice it is a "limitation" for any DVR. Seems like a non issue to me, but thats just my opinion.

The whole point of all this started out by me saying that there is NO need whatsoever to manually shut off ANY of these DVR's. The "limitation" I was focused on was the one where others here say it IS a limitation to NOT be able to manually shut them off - & I AM the one that says it is NOT. Simple as that...

The whole point of all this started out by me saying that there is NO need whatsoever to manually shut off ANY of these DVR's. The "limitation" I was focused on was the one where others here say it IS a limitation to NOT be able to manually shut them off - & I AM the one that says it is NOT. Simple as that...

I gave one example of how much easier it is to do things on the HR than on the TiVO. I did not mean for it to go into which receivers need to go into standby with which ones don't.

Look the TiVO has a standby button on the receiver itself, but the remote does not. If you do want to place it in standby using the remote it requires several pushes of two different buttons. Whereas the HR only requires you to push the "off" botton and it turns off both the TV and places the receiver in standby at the same time. One button, one push and it is done. I was simply using this as an example of why one is easier to navigate than the other. I could have used other examples, such as changing the "favorites" list in the guide.

I like buttons:lick

easy_button.jpg

I love these posts, my hr is crap, tivo will save me. Yeah right, anyone who owned a HR10-250 2 years ago knows it was a slow brick.

Ive had an HR20 since they came out and have only had one blank recording.

And to all that keep thinking the 722 is THAT much better, been there dont that, it aint.

I cant wait to see you guys next time this year with your new tivo, while your complaining about how buggy it is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)