Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Ooooo, I noticed I broke into the top 10,000 folders! :cool: I expect SatinKzo and SamPatterson to cross over in a week or so, too.

yeah, very cool foxbat. congrats.

I just noticed that I now have 524 WU's completed. Been busy lately and haven't been following the F@H team much.

Thanks, folks. I see the SatelliteGuys Team is now over 1,500,000 points! Way to Fold, Team!

Cool watch out Cisco!

I installed my parent's computer this weekend, so my daily point average will drop from here on out as I have lost a machine out of my pool. I left the client running on their machine but they put it in standby when they aren't using it...

Sam

We're about a day away from passing my alma matta, the Purdue Boilermaker team! Although by the looks of it, they haven't been actively Folding lately.

Sam, too bad we're losing those points. I hope the WUs your folk's PC got assigned can be completed before the Deadline. The Project may be better off not assigning units to this PC if it can't get results back fast enough.

Well I lost one of my computers for now. So no folding on it unless someone here can help. I came home from work today and noticed that I had no live screen so I restarted the computer. Well I only the led light comes on on the front of the computer and the CPU fan comes on and the power supply fan comes on and the light on the motherboard comes on. None of my drive will open and dont seem to have power to them. It doesnt sound like my hard drive initializes. My optical mouse has no power and my keyboard has no power (Both USB). Its like the lights are on but nobodys home kind of thing. My thought is that it may be a bad power supply. Any thoughts?

Well I lost one of my computers for now. So no folding on it unless someone here can help. I came home from work today and noticed that I had no live screen so I restarted the computer. Well I only the led light comes on on the front of the computer and the CPU fan comes on and the power supply fan comes on and the light on the motherboard comes on. None of my drive will open and dont seem to have power to them. It doesnt sound like my hard drive initializes. My optical mouse has no power and my keyboard has no power (Both USB). Its like the lights are on but nobodys home kind of thing. My thought is that it may be a bad power supply. Any thoughts?
How old is your PC? If it dates from 2002-2005, open it up and check the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard to see if any of them have bulged. If they all look okay, then you're probably right about the P/S. If you have another power supply laying around, I'd try plugging stuff into it to verify that the drives, etc. are still good.

A lot of people have said that Folding is some of the hardest load you can put on a computer. I guess now you've got proof.

It's really weird. Some days I get long WU's, others they are a bunch of short ones.

I'm sort of stuck between 13 and 11 here :)

LER

Got a new WU today that I can't find in the pts database.

p1424_POLYQ ANTI-BETASHEET 25,000,000 steps. Download date of June 20th, Due date of October 7th.

Scorpion, I would do what foxbat suggested. I have been through so many MB's at work due to bad capacitors (bulged or popped) from the time period he stated. They should be flat or even slightly indented on the tops and cylindrical. Anything different is a bad cap and isn't a whole lot you can do if you don't have a warranty on it. What kind of computer is it? (home built? Dell, etc?)

Got a new WU today that I can't find in the pts database.

p1424_POLYQ ANTI-BETASHEET 25,000,000 steps. Download date of June 20th, Due date of October 7th.

Scorpion, I would do what foxbat suggested. I have been through so many MB's at work due to bad capacitors (bulged or popped) from the time period he stated. They should be flat or even slightly indented on the tops and cylindrical. Anything different is a bad cap and isn't a whole lot you can do if you don't have a warranty on it. What kind of computer is it? (home built? Dell, etc?)

I would like to thank Foxbat for his suggestion and that SatinKzo concurred with him that I need to check the capacitors on my motherboard. I will take a good look at that. I will also see if any of my CD drives work with another power source also. thanx guy for your help. I will keep you posted. (We need to keep the points up for the team). :)

I lost one PC too. It was the power supply and the replacement is arriving today.

Disconnect power from all the drives and just leave the video card in there. Power up and see if you get video. If you don't I would start by replacing the power supply.

I would like to thank Foxbat for his suggestion and that SatinKzo concurred with him that I need to check the capacitors on my motherboard. I will take a good look at that. I will also see if any of my CD drives work with another power source also. thanx guy for your help. I will keep you posted. (We need to keep the points up for the team). :)
Gee, you'll never guess what we found today in an HP D325 Athlon 3200 XP+ desktop that the user said was acting flakey... BAD CAPS!!! Eight of 'em, all 2,200 µF, 6.3 V electrolytic capacitors made by Nichicon, all bulged, with three showing signs of leakage. When our PC Tech started complaining that this PC would blue screen just sitting there (and it did it while I was talking to him,) I looked at the MB near the CPU and it became obvious that this PC was toast...

Ok now Im confused, Im running WinFah, FaH_70 and FaH_80, how is it that Im running two cores, isnt this something done on a dual core processor or am Im missing something here thats unique to AMD?

Edit: Ive decided to drop this program from my computers, its using just way to much system resources and has been a constant drain on other programs that I run wether for just cruising the web or playing media.

Last edited:
Van, now that I can post again, I was going to say that I've seen different projects download different Cores. It may be that Stanford is starting to roll out the V8 Cores finally.

About the interference with the rest of your machine's programs, I'm puzzled. Unless you need more RAM (which I run into a bit on my Mac since I have "only" 1 GB) and you're running into a page file thrashing situation, I haven't had much issue on my Windows XP box that I'm using for Folding.