Journal of my two satellite dishes going up, beginning to the end

Status
Please reply by conversation.
it could come completely out and drop the dish.

Yes. If the actuator arm is not mounted, it will just turn with the motor.
Problem with doing that tho'... if you run the motor with the arm loose OR if you turn the arm by hand, the limit switches will then be off.
You will definitely want to get that straight before you mount the actuator.
If the arm is too far extended, it could come completely out and drop the dish.
Too far in and it could cause a lock up and damage the motor.
The way I've done this in the past is to run the motor all the way in (in my case that has always the westward movement) until the limit switch stops the motor, thread the arm in by hand all the way in until it stops - then back off a turn or two.
Of course I then mount the arm and run it all the way east and make certain that the other limit switch catches before it drops the dish!
I'm having problems figuring out all the new stuff... glad I can still help on the old! (or maybe I'm just showing my age, eh?)

Thanks for the info 14karat! I was real happy just to see it move! Did turn it back to the starting position that it was in to begin with and di a re test just to see if it would move again. It did so I put it away. Went to Home Depot and got a bunch of stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers to replace the rusty and old bolts and would you believe it>>>> I forgot to get the emory cloth! So maybe I'm showing my age! :p

I'm thankful for your advise about testing it too much. I don't want it to get damaged like you stated in your post. Just going to leave it alone except maybe painting it where there is rust with a non meltalic paint Just as long as painting it won't cause problems??

Thanks again,
Tom :D

I forgot to say earlier, when I was looking at the feedhorn it looks like just a c-band and not a c/ku-band. Should I invest in a new feedhorn?
If I do go with a new feedhorn for both c/ku-band will I need to also replace the actuator too?
Where is the best place to get them? And the feedhorn cover, when I was looking at it is partually riped up. Where can I get a new cover for it?

Thanks again,
Tom

Last edited:
tom , you dont need a new actuator. you can use the one you have nothing to change when going to KU but the Feedhorn. i might have a cover somewhere laying around with the mounting ring that goes with it , ill look and get to you asap. good luck with the dish buddy:up

I forgot to say earlier, when I was looking at the feedhorn it looks like just a c-band and not a c/ku-band. Should I invest in a new feedhorn?
If I do go with a new feedhorn for both c/ku-band will I need to also replace the actuator too?
Where is the best place to get them? And the feedhorn cover, when I was looking at it is partually riped up. Where can I get a new cover for it?

Thanks again,
Tom

Feedhorn Photo's

Hey Guys,
Heres some images of my feedhorn on the 10' dish.
I think it is just a C-Band as there is only one cable wire hook up to it.

Thanks,
feedhorn_01.jpg

Attachments

• feedhorn_05.jpg
    feedhorn_05.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 139
  • feedhorn_04.jpg
    feedhorn_04.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 140
  • feedhorn_03.jpg
    feedhorn_03.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 116
  • feedhorn_02.jpg
    feedhorn_02.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 122
Tom. Looking At the pictures. it's C-band Only which is good too. cause W5 has the same channels on it as KU. gets. which ku can get somewhat alittle more. but most people just have cband. hope u get ur dish back from the shop soon and get this thing put up cant wait to see it up on the pole :hungry: take care man have a good night

Hey Guys,
Heres some images of my feedhorn on the 10' dish.
I think it is just a C-Band as there is only one cable wire hook up to it.

Thanks,
feedhorn_01.jpg

Hi everyone,
When I first started this thread it started out just featuring the support poles. After thinking it over I felt it needed to be all about the putting up the satellite dishes from start to end. Even though sme of the images at the beginning of this thread are ahead of some of the photo's I have already taken, I think it will be ok. At lease it will provide some before and after shots that I have taken and you will see the progress from start to end.

First I found my first satellite dish at a out of business satellite shop. I inquired about getting a dish and putting it to a good use. I got it a couple of days later.

UNIMESH_10ft02.jpg

More to come shortly!

Thanks,

Tom

:D

Attachments

• UNIMESH_10ft01.jpg
    UNIMESH_10ft01.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 128
  • UNIMESH_10ft03.jpg
    UNIMESH_10ft03.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 121
  • UNIMESH_10ft04.jpg
    UNIMESH_10ft04.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 145
Working on support poles

Hi everyone,
At the beggining of this thread you can see that I put my support poles in for the satellite dishes in. Now you will see them being painted. Also take note that I built a 4x4 square around each pole with 2x4's and poured a foundation slab of concrete so that if I ever need to work on the dishes I will have a good standing. Also Each pole has more then enough of cement to hold it in the ground in case of any huricane I may get here. I stoped counting the 80lb. bags after 40. The 4x4 square's took an extra 10 bags each.
paintingpole_0001.jpg

More to come. ;)

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• paintingpole_0008.jpg
    paintingpole_0008.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 120
  • paintingpole_0007.jpg
    paintingpole_0007.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 118
  • paintingpole_006.jpg
    paintingpole_006.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 108
  • paintingpole_0005.jpg
    paintingpole_0005.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 114
  • paintingpole_0004.jpg
    paintingpole_0004.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 110
  • paintingpole_0003.jpg
    paintingpole_0003.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 111
  • paintingpole_0002.jpg
    paintingpole_0002.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 104
Working on Dish

Hi Everyone,
Got the dish home took a good look at it and decided that I needed to replace all the bolts because thet were rusted bad. Took of one section at a time and put in new stainless steel bolts in. Went all around the dish and found that some of them were rusted so bad that they were thin like were being held on by a thread! On the mount two of the brackeks were completly gone to rust! Took that off and I took it to a welding shop nearby. The brackets that held the ribbon cable were rusted away so I had to fabricate my own. Then I cleaned the dish and get rid of all the grime, rust and then primes the dish with Rustoleum paint.

UNIMESH_10ftbracket-1.jpg

More to come.

Thanks,

Tom

Getting Dish Painted

Hello everyone,
I did takeoff the actuator that was rusted bad and I got some "Bartenders Brand" of Rust and Lime remover. Used that and it took a lot of tyhe surface rust off. At least it's not so bad to the eye anymore and I did give it a brief test and it still works!

Now I have a friend of mine who is a painter by trade and he came over to help me paint the dish. Here's some photo's of it.

paintingdish_001.jpg

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• paintingdish_002.jpg
    paintingdish_002.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 130
  • paintingdish_003.jpg
    paintingdish_003.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 147
  • paintingdish_004.jpg
    paintingdish_004.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 111
  • paintingdish_005.jpg
    paintingdish_005.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 115
  • paintingdish_006.jpg
    paintingdish_006.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 96
  • paintingdish_0007.jpg
    paintingdish_0007.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 140
Tom,
That is a super great job you are doing on that dish. Primer and all. Wow is all I can say.
That dish is going to look like a brand new one when you are done.
You have really took off with this hobby. Just wait til you get everything dialed in and have c and ku booming in.

Are the dishes capable of seeing over all the trees on your and your neighbor's property?
I was just curious seeing all the trees behind them.

I would fill those poles with cement too since they are high up and will flex a little. You don't want your big dish blowing off the ku satellites if it is windy.

It takes just a little movement to lose ku on a big 10' dish. Signal can go from 100 percent to nothing fast.

Yes I will need a dish crane

Tom, looking at those high/tall post, you're going to need that "Dish Crane" in this other thread of yours:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/130885-satellite-dish-crane-action.html
Hi VoomVoom,
Yes I think you're right on that, I will need a dish crane just to get them on those tall poles. So far I got two poles and one dish. The one dish that I do have is turning out to be real nice now. The other pole was going to go originally for that 12' footer mesh dish that is just down the street from me. Remember I talked about it and the guy who owned it wanted 200$ for it. Then their was that one like the one you have. I thought it was a solis and Linuxman said it was a fiberglass over a wire mesh. That one turned out to be that the owner still wanted it. Would like to get one of those solid's or a Birdview. Just don't see them down here. If you do see one, please give me a holler and I will be heading up your way! I now have this new truck that I can put one in the back of the tailgate. Sure is nice to have a pickup now! lol! See one and I'll be there!:hungry:

Thanks,
Tom

fill those poles with cement too

Tom,
That is a super great job you are doing on that dish. Primer and all. Wow is all I can say.
That dish is going to look like a brand new one when you are done.
You have really took off with this hobby. Just wait til you get everything dialed in and have c and ku booming in.

Are the dishes capable of seeing over all the trees on your and your neighbor's property?
I was just curious seeing all the trees behind them.

I would fill those poles with cement too since they are high up and will flex a little. You don't want your big dish blowing off the ku satellites if it is windy.

It takes just a little movement to lose ku on a big 10' dish. Signal can go from 100 percent to nothing fast.
Hi Truckracer,
Yes that is why the poles are so tall is because of those tall trees in my area. I got all the trees taken care of now. Had to cut down 4 trees that were in my line of site for the dish to get a good signal. All is clear skies from 200 degrees to 240 degrees. I now have a huge pile of wood mulch now and can put that around the cement foundations that I build up for each pole. Thank you for your nice complement on the work that I have been doing on the dish. Also a huge thank you for your suggestion of putting cement inside of those poles. I know that their not going to come out, at the same time you really bring up a good point that they could "Bow" in the wind. Point well taken. I will follow your suggestion and fill those poles!

On the other pole.... Like I told VoomVoom if you see a nice solid or a Birdview please think of me, Kinda feel tempted to go back to that 12 footer down the street from me! Its hard since I see it every time I go or come into this subdivion!

Thanks,
Tom

A nice clean paint job and new bolts

Your doing a good job on the dish.

Reminds me of some of the ones I painted. :)

They sure look a lot better after a nice clean paint job and new bolts.
Hi Fred,
Thank you for the compliement! :)

I can hardly wait till the day that everything is installed and I'm able to watch FTA TV. It may be taking slow, Had to wait for things to get finished before I could go forward. One like waiting for the welder to finish working on my mount. Thats done, and I will be taking pictures of that (raining today) and putting it back on the dish. Also want to take some photo's of the direction where the satellite dish will be aimed at, 213 to 240 degrees. That should also answer Truckracer's question about all of those trees.

Sure could use a "Birdview or a solid down here Fred! hint hint, lol Maybe one will come my way that will be closer to me. You do seem to have people contact you about them. I hope it will come my way too down here! :)

Truckracer made a really good point about filling in the inside of those poles with concrete. Wonder if I should do it a half a bag at a time so I will have enough time to fill it in without it hardening on me before I get it in. Also thinking that maybe I should use some kind of rod to tap the cement in the pipe/pole like if I was using a muzzle loader gun? Or use a make shift funnel? Mind is going wild now!

Thanks again,

Tom

Truckracer made a really good point about filling in the inside of those poles with concrete.
I have never filled any of my masts with concrete. I know others here who advocate that, but concrete expands and contracts with the temperature. Once it hardens, there will be a small space between the pole and the concrete. Make sure water never gets inside the pipe especially if in an area where it can freeze. Course you won't have that much problem with freezing. But you get my point.

If the pipe sways that much in the wind, you need a schedule 80 pipe (thicker walls), or anchor it with steel side supports welded to the pipe at least 5 foot from the top of the pipe and inserted into the ground embedded in concrete.

I think that would do more good than filling the pipe.

I have never filled any of my masts with concrete.

I have never filled any of my masts with concrete. I know others here who advocate that, but concrete expands and contracts with the temperature. Once it hardens, there will be a small space between the pole and the concrete. Make sure water never gets inside the pipe especially if in an area where it can freeze. Course you won't have that much problem with freezing. But you get my point.

If the pipe sways that much in the wind, you need a schedule 80 pipe (thicker walls), or anchor it with steel side supports welded to the pipe at least 5 foot from the top of the pipe and inserted into the ground embedded in concrete.

I think that would do more good than filling the pipe.
Well both poles are very deep in the ground. The 4" is in just under 8' feet deep and a hole the size of 3' x 3' and the 3 1/2 is buried 5' feet deep and a hole the size of 26" x 26" . Then both have a 4' x 4' square slab on top of that. They aren't going anywhere. Both of the pipes are made of heavy guage metal used in water wells. They are solid. We do get a freeze down here that is usally a few days out of the year. So maybe it would be wise to cap it? I may anchor it with steel side supports welded to the pipe like you said at a later date.
Thanks,
Tom

Well both poles are very deep in the ground. The 4" is in just under 8' feet deep and a hole the size of 3' x 3' and the 3 1/2 is buried 5' feet deep and a hole the size of 26" x 26" . Then both have a 4' x 4' square slab on top of that.
Your depth and concrete base is fine, but what is sticking up 10 foot with a 12 foot dish catching wind could sway an ordinary pipe as much as 1/16" at the top where the dish is. That's enough to knock out Ku signal.

If your pipe is well casing, you should be fine. You'll know soon enough. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts