Just ordered DTV. Why am i so worried?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Most word is that any install with whole-home DVR ($3/mo) gets the HR24 series, installs without is more variable.

Installers just arrived. Line of sight....NOT A PROBLEM. Nicest guys so far. Genuinely excited for me.

Well no install today 1 tree limb in the way need to get that down an we are ready to go!!! I was going to get all HR24"s also thats all he had!!!

Geez, you guys have me excited! I'm set for install on Monday the 12th. I am also getting rid of the other "Dish" company. LOL

I'm also going with whole home DVR, so hopefully I'll get the HR24 setup too?

One thing I'm not quite clear on though with D*. I have 3 HDTV's, so I ordered 3 receivers. Do I need all 3 receivers or does D* run off of 1 receiver like Dish does? The MRV stuff has me a bit confused.

Last edited:
Well on the new HR24 not for sure if it's a dual tuner I have one but did not really look to see if it does. I know Dish does but the draw back to dual tuner on Dish is that you can only output SD on the other tuner. Since you have 3 HDTV's if it was me I would get the HR24 then 2 of the newest HD Receivers for the other 2 TVs. That way you can watch everything in HD and you can watch your recordings off your DVR in HD as well. To where with Dish and most everyone else with dual turner receivers only can out put HD to one TV. So yes it saves you on receivers but you can not watch your normal live programing in HD unless you have a HD Receiver hooked up to your other sets. Either way it's up to you someone else might chime in thats just my 2 cents.. :)

Geez, you guys have me excited! I'm set for install on Monday the 12th. I am also getting rid of the other "Dish" company. LOL

I'm also going with whole home DVR, so hopefully I'll get the HR24 setup too?

One thing I'm not quite clear on though with D*. I have 3 HDTV's, so I ordered 3 receivers. Do I need all 3 receivers or does D* run off of 1 receiver like Dish does? The MRV stuff has me a bit confused.

Yes, you need 3 HDTV receivers for 3 HDTVs. MRV allows you to watch any of your recorded shows on any HD or HD-DVR in your house.

I am getting D* installed tomorrow AM.
2 HD-DVRS connected to 46" Insignia LCD and 40" Samsung 6 series LCD.

Switching from E* to D*

My install is set for July 19th when I get home from vacation. My question is when should I notify E* that I am switching? I don't want to be without service just in case something goes wrong on the 19th. Do you foresee any problems with the removal of the old Dish I have on the roof? Will the installer remove the old dish or am I responsible for the removal? Sorry if this has been covered before.

My install is set for July 19th when I get home from vacation. My question is when should I notify E* that I am switching? I don't want to be without service just in case something goes wrong on the 19th. Do you foresee any problems with the removal of the old Dish I have on the roof? Will the installer remove the old dish or am I responsible for the removal? Sorry if this has been covered before.

I would not cancel your service with Dish until the install is done and everything is up and running the way you want. Installer should remove the Dish and when you call Dish to cancel your service they should tell you what hardware they want you to send to them. They should send you boxes to mail their equipment back to them.

Only if you were looking for a promotion from them to keep you as a customer. Since you don't seem to be looking for that, the only thing a call to cancel done before your install date would do is to assure you that there is no commitment on your account. You could also set the cancel for a few days after your install date, in case you have problems. Then if you do, you could always push that cancel date out further.

My installed removed my dishes in which new D* dishes went in their place and took them with him.

I would not cancel your service with Dish until the install is done and everything is up and running the way you want. Installer should remove the Dish and when you call Dish to cancel your service they should tell you what hardware they want you to send to them. They should send you boxes to mail their equipment back to them.

Not really .....
I would not EXPECT the D* installer to remove the DISH Net dish.
I would talk with the installer before anything is done and see what all is going to be done.
Ask the installer if he would remove the DISH dish while he's up there and he probably would, but I would not say he HAS to.

If your smart you'll get the D* dish OFF the roof all together.

Well I know my local reseller and they have always removed the old Dish so forth. Again your installer experience will differer from state to state. It always depends on who doing the work some installers do better work than others. It's usually better to deal with someone locally if you can not everyone will have that option.

Well I know my local reseller and they have always removed the old Dish so forth. Again your installer experience will differer from state to state. It always depends on who doing the work some installers do better work than others. It's usually better to deal with someone locally if you can not everyone will have that option.

All depends if you can AFFORD the local guys.

IF you know the guy, it's easy, I would say, most guys wouldn't have a problem taking it down if the have to get up there anyways.

But I would not say they have to as it's not thier job.

Being helpful to the installer will get you many things done.

Since you have 3 HDTV's if it was me I would get the HR24 then 2 of the newest HD Receivers for the other 2 TVs. That way you can watch everything in HD and you can watch your recordings off your DVR in HD as well. To where with Dish and most everyone else with dual turner receivers only can out put HD to one TV. So yes it saves you on receivers but you can not watch your normal live programing in HD unless you have a HD Receiver hooked up to your other sets. Either way it's up to you someone else might chime in thats just my 2 cents.. :)

Good, this is what I thought? I ordered the HD DVR, 2 HD receivers and 1 SD receiver for the kid's room. I was kind of hoping that Phoenix is an "all HD" market and they would make that 3rd receiver HD as well, but if not, no problem. :D

Well my local reseller offers the same promos so forth that Direct offers on their site so it's the same thing. Only difference is your dealing with local people and local installers instead of dealing with whoever Direct decides to send to do your install in your area. So it's the same thing as calling Direct or doing your order on-line. The main difference is again your dealing with someone local that is going to do the setup and install and it's easier to call them and deal with them when it comes to your install. Again going through Direct you never know where your installer coming from or who they are until the day of your schedule install. I know not everyone has this option again depends on where you live so forth but it's easier going this route if you have this option available in your area. So if you can go through a local dealer if not then you will have to go through Direct to do everything. Yeah as far as my Dish they took my old one down for me due to they were the ones who put up my old install so dealing with the same dealer makes it easy as well. Now going through Direct well the person that comes out might not do that but thats a chance you will have to take but I would not take down my old dish until the Direct installer shows up see what they are willing to do.

Last edited:
Good, this is what I thought? I ordered the HD DVR, 2 HD receivers and 1 SD receiver for the kid's room. I was kind of hoping that Phoenix is an "all HD" market and they would make that 3rd receiver HD as well, but if not, no problem. :D

Yeah being in that area I would think they would have plenty of local dealers for Direct you could deal with. Hope things go well for you keep us updated.. :)

Thanks

Thanks everybody for your prompt replies. Looking forward to enjoying Directv. Hoping I get the HR24 and H24, I really don't want to have an older model. I myself am an older model and I know I don't work as well as when I was a newer model :D.
Thanks again.

Well on the new HR24 not for sure if it's a dual tuner I have one but did not really look to see if it does.

The HR24 has two tuners, all of the dvrs do.

Not really .....
I would not EXPECT the D* installer to remove the DISH Net dish.
I would talk with the installer before anything is done and see what all is going to be done.
Ask the installer if he would remove the DISH dish while he's up there and he probably would, but I would not say he HAS to.

If your smart you'll get the D* dish OFF the roof all together.

I'm in an apartment so if he doesn't remove the Dish I'm ok with that, I can do it myself. But I'm wondering if he will be able/willing to use the existing wiring coming from the roof to the receivers.

There are currently 2 wires coming in from outside, 1 went to main receiver, other went to secondary. Once inside the main room there was wiring from main box to alternate room for 2nd room access of main box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)