Just saw a article with a C band in Plastic bucket and pipe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Okay, So I just saw a cband in a large plastic bucket with cement and plastic pipe. I got a 10ft mesh with hh mount. Think I could do the same? I'm worried about the wind knocking it down. But I guess if the bucket is big enough. It would work. Just the hh mount is heavy. The rest of the dish, Mesh panels and what not are light as a feather.

Thanks,

Josh

USS - I don't think so.
Are talking about this dish, ?
I haven't rotated the images to see what's there.
Plus, it's not 10', either. :cool:
I can't keep a 36" Fortec upright on a bucket full of cement. - :rant:
AND, motors or H-H mounts give lots of extra off-center weight at the top...
Think: trailer. Maybe that'd work. :)

. . . and the next guy who says "plastic pipe", gets a shot with a taser. - :eek:

55 gallon drum of concrete?

And then only if its a SIX foot dish and you live in a VERY wind-less area. :D

Well it looked like a plastic pipe

Well it looked like a plastic pipe. Is that one of those small 4ft dishes?

Thanks,

Josh

i am here

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1939929-post5.html

are you talking about me?

I have this new setup for about 2 days now and would not recommend it.

I am going this route because i need to move my BUD to get different Line of Sights. I also am living in this location for the short term and complete install isn't a solution. The dish is 6 feet mesh KTI and the buck is 10 gallons (180 lbs of cement). Will not work for 10 foot dish. 6 foot might be too big in the wind.

I used pvc and it bends slightly when i move the dish far to the east. The further south you live the better because the weight will be more even.

I used over 400 pounds of concrete when I put up a 1 meter dish a couple of weeks ago!!!... The hole I dug was a little bigger than I thought but I was figuring on about 3 - 80 pound bags when I dug it! :)

When I set up my 10 foot BUD, I left the old concrete on the pole and set it in the hole with a tractor and I would have to guess that it had well over 700 pounds on it. I then filled around it with another 900 pounds of concrete because we do get a lot of wind. My 10 foot is a very heavy built Winegard so I wanted to play it safe! The Winegard took 4 guys to set it up due to its weight. The pole that I used came from a very light 10 foot Unimesh which only took 2 guys to move! ;)

:eek: I would not trust a bucket for any dish unless it was a temporary setup and it was tied down somehow!!!...

Last edited:
I used 42/80 pounds bags of concrete for my home made 10.8 foot dish lol

That BUD is not going anywhere!!! :eek:

I may have a little more concrete under mine than what I can remember, but I know that I did not use that much! It is better to be safe than sorry! ;)

A couple of poles that I salvaged which were systems installed by "professionals" only had about 200 pounds of concrete on them if even that!

In the mid 80's I help my cousin install 10 footers on the weekend and I think we used about 300lbs of concrete. Never lost one in a storm. Musta been cause I was the grunt digging the hole for the post lol. Blind

This never fell over on me while I was playing with it:

attachment.php

Of course I later planted it in a huge glob of cement I hope to never need to remove.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts