Ku Band RX Feedhorn

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chewie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
California
Hello Gents
I am looking for a switch that will work with this feed horn, I was thinking a 2x1 multi-switch will work.
The feed will have Ku 2 lnb's, one for horizontal and one for vertical to multiswitch to motor to receiver.
here is a picture of the feed, mine is used.
I would appreciate any comments.
Regards.
Chewie

Attachments

• $T2eC16Z,!ygE9s7HJ-StBRL7qSM4+g~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16Z,!ygE9s7HJ-StBRL7qSM4+g~~60_57.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 272
Quick question why 2 lnbs why not one universal c120 flange type directly to the feed horn?

Quick question why 2 lnbs why not one universal c120 flange type directly to the feed horn?
Just a different way to skin the cat.
And it would need two outputs.
You would still need the 2X4 multiswitch.
(two LNBs is kinda old school)
edit: the orthomode with single LNBs might have better rejection of the opposite polarity than a modern dual output LNB.
And...
Those single polarity LNBs are Standard ,not Universal.
To go Universal, you'd need a 4-output c-120-flange LNB, followed by a 4X4 or similar four input multiswitch.
?

Last edited:
Stacked FSS LNBs from dish are poor quality IMHO. But they do provide a simple solution in this case.

Just a different way to skin the cat.
And it would need two outputs.
You would still need the 2X4 multiswitch.
(two LNBs is kinda old school)
edit: the orthomode with single LNBs might have better rejection of the opposite polarity than a modern dual output LNB.
And...
Those single polarity LNBs are Standard ,not Universal.
To go Universal, you'd need a 4-output c-120-flange LNB, followed by a 4X4 or similar four input multiswitch.
?

Gents, thanks for your input, Mr. Anole, I been looking at the 4-output c-120-flange LNB and most of them live in the other side of the Atlantic.
Regarding the 4x4 multiswitch, I want to be able to use my motor on the dish and that is why i was thinking if I use 2 lNB-S with this feed and connect it to a 2x1 mulitswitch than connect to the motor
I don't know if this would work.
Appreciate all your comments.
Regards.
Chewie

In some of these more complicated/advanced hookups, adding a Ku motor really throughs a monkey wrench in the works.
I have read/studied everything posted to SatGuys for 8-10 years.
Most of the work arounds require a page of explanation, and only suit one member in five hundred.
Pendragon came up with an advanced solution, but I think it relied on supplying independent power to the motor.
That was to allow any of several receivers to take control of the motor.
If that's what you need, I leave you to read his postings (year or two ago).
But if you just want one receiver to have control of the Ku motor, that's not so bad
Just wire the motor in line between the master receiver and one of the outputs of your multiswitch, as described above. :up ;)

Thanks Panavision
Regarding the DiSEqC switch I can only make out part of the connections.
Thanks.
Chewie.

About how heavy is the dish shown, is this dish consided a commercial type of dish (gas station etc), and is that the SG2100 motor moving it.

Just wondering if it possible to adapt a motor to my 1.2 commercial dish, your dish looks similar to mine.

The Andrew/Channel Master/ASC Signal 1.2m dish is considered a commercial type of dish. I got it off of a Saturn dealership when GM dropped the brand. It is quite heavy! I mounted it to the SG2100 just to see if it'd work, not really expecting results. But it's run through cold Minnesota winters and now days in the high 90s. To be honest, I can't believe the SG2100 pushes and pulls it across the sky! The dish has got to be over 40 lbs. Someday I may spring for an HH120 from ebay.

Thanks Panavision
Regarding the DiSEqC switch I can only make out part of the connections.
Thanks.
Chewie.

The DiSEqC switch is what you see in the front of the picture. The big gray block is the multiswitch. The ports on the multiswitch are:

18v
13v
18v/22kHz
13v/22kHz
(the coax on the right end of the box supplies electricity to the multiswitch)

I'm only using the non-22kHz ports. One is from the H LNB, the other is from the V LNB.

Then the output from the multiswitch travels to the DiSEqC switch.

Panavision;

Could you please show a picture of the back of the dish where the motor and dish comes together, would like to get a good view of the bracket and hardware.

Your dish is very,very similar to mine in every way. I do have a SG2100 motor, but it sure looks like it is underpowered for moving that big dish...Need to make me a bracket to interface the dish and motor. What size is the dimensions of your pole....Seing your dish with a motor got me all ready to get my dish moving across the arc.

Right now my dish is mounted on a NPRM pointing at Galaxy 19.

Thanks.

Ah yes.... a SG2100 from "back in the day" when the bracket was sturdy heavy gauge and built like a tank.

You couldn't get away with this much weight and wind load with any of the late model SG2100's! :eek:

Ah yes.... a SG2100 from "back in the day" when the bracket was sturdy heavy gauge and built like a tank.

You couldn't get away with this much weight and wind load with any of the late model SG2100's! :eek:

Thanks Panavision, your SG2100 motor looks much beefier that the one I own. My motor is about five years old so maybe it quialifies as "back in the day" motor that Brian mentioned, but I kind of doubt it....Thanks for the pictures, and I believe that I have something that might work for me for interfacing the dish and motor, all I can do is give it a try and hopefully the motor wont die with all that weight.

If you are using the GEOSATpro GS120 motor listed in your signature, it has an extremely heavy duty bracket and will support this reflector. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)