Last of the BUDS in my area now gone

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
Well yesterday the last BUD in my local area that I know of disappeared into a pile of scrap metal. It looked as though a bulldozer was used. It was an ancient 12' Paraclipse in pretty bad condition with 20+ years of brush and trees in front of it. It was the only Paraclipse I ever saw. That was the 9th dish since last summer around here. Now only mine remain on proud display.

Just 1.5 miles from me was another 12ft Paraclipse - until I looked again this week! :(
I had asked the owners about it in months past but I suspect the metal scrappers got to it first:mad:.
It was in great shape - now all that remains is the pole attached to the house.

I'm fortunate to live in an arid climate zone with very little corrosion happenning. There will be BUDS standin for 50 years out here.

There still are three 10 footers near me, but once they're gone, they're pretty much all gone. I've made arrangements to pick one of them up for free.

If you count buttonhooks, there's a pair of those nearby also. Never owned a buttonhook. Not sure I'm buttonhook material.

Sounds like all of us BUD fans need to be out...."asking!" Especially if scrap prices are on the rise! I've got a steel one coming my way, but its the manpower to move a 10-12 foot steel dish and the logistics (even for about 6 miles) that makes it tough!

There is one about 1/2 hour from the cabin (that shouldn't be but the owners were smoking crack). Saw it again a few weeks ago and they were having a garage sale. So I stopped and asked how much for the dish out front (they have a Directv dish on the house and the big dish is still in the same spot for the last few years)

The lady got her hubby and he tells me for $150 I can have it. I said "how about $20 and I take it apart"...the guy wouldnt budge on $150 so I started walking away. I said "$20 and give me 45 minutes to go get my tools" but he wouldnt budge.
I left my name and number but I doubt he'd call. He seemed miffed that I offered $20 (hell I would have offered $10)

It's amazing how much some people believe these are worth when they haven't used 'em in years. I've had it the way Iceberg describes his event, and the other way, too....the kind who say, ..."get it out of here!" I've even started driving near the old haunts where I helped sell and install dishes 25 years ago! Sooner or later, the Birdview PERF I want will come to me! Did the garage sale thing a few weeks back, found a dish, posted its picture on the forum...and thanks to other members I was told the dish is apparently not a good bet to own due to its build, so I didn't call the people back again.

I have a half dozen BUDs with my name on them but cannot find the
time to drag them home! :eek: A couple of others were plucked by
scrappers including a 12 footer!!! :eek: :eek:
There are also 3 Primestars on my to be pickupt list! :up

If you count buttonhooks, there's a pair of those nearby also. Never owned a buttonhook. Not sure I'm buttonhook material.

Well, I have two dishes one 10 and a 8 footer with the buttonhook design and so far have not had any problems with either one so I'm guessing It just depends on who build them.

I was being silly. Most mesh dishes around here are KTI because the factory was here. KTIs are not buttonhook. I intend to fetch a buttonhook one day. But I have two more KTIs to save first. Parts interchangeability counts for something I would think.

toucan-man;2647852 Parts interchangeability counts for something I would think.[/QUOTE said:
That was my thinking for the Paraclipse but the scrappers got there first.

There's a bar with a 10ft SAMI pointed to the eastern horizon for weeks now - won't hurt to ask right?

They are slowly disappearing around this area but I still know of dozens, if not hundreds of BUDs, in a 50 mile radius.

Lots of them are the cheap, no-name non-ribbed fiberglass 8 footers w/buttonhooks, not the most desirable, but better than nothing if not warped.

Stiil some treasures hiding in them thar local hills, leaves will be gone soon, and hunting season will be open. :)

There's a bar with a 10ft SAMI pointed to the eastern horizon for weeks now - won't hurt to ask right?
I have one recurring nightmare. I've saved all these BUDs, they're in my basement now, so a tornado strikes my house and wipes out every last BUD in the county. :D

But the truth is, I've seen 4 big dishes disappear from their mounts in the past two years, it's more likely a BUD will be lost to the scrapyard than to mother nature.

Get that SAMI !

But the truth is, I've seen 4 big dishes disappear from their mounts in the past two years, it's more likely a BUD will be lost to the scrapyard than to mother nature.

Get that SAMI !

Drove up there today - after getting some pics I realize it's really a Perfect10. Still a nice 10ft dish in good shape is getting harder to harvest lately(hmmm - fall - harvest:D).

Paging Scott - trouble in the uploading dept again. No can upload pics.

I clear property lots & tear down houses & do all the concrete work & dirt work in the rebuilding process. In the summer of 2010, I tore down a house & carefully undid a 10 foot dish & set it off to the side then I pulled the 12 foot pipe out of the ground. It was about 4 feet in the ground & I was going to bring the jack hammer attachment to work with me the next day to turn that chunk of concrete into rubble.
Meanwhile, I had other work the following day & had to have someone else finish cleaning up the sight. I told him to leave the dish & pole. Apparently, he thought I wanted it for scrap & moved it out of his way more by grabbing it with the thumb & dropping it in a small scrap pile. Needless to say, it was no good anymore.

Had a friend visit from Fla., told him i was looking for a 12 footer. He called back last week and said he had a found a 12ft spun alm(I think he said it was a Harris?)about 500 miles away. Said the guy wanted 100 Bucks for it. I havn't yet figured a way to haul it home. Still thinking on it, guess it will have to be stood up on the trailer someway. I always believed, where there's a will there's a way, hehe

I still have a large KTI dish and 4DTV 920 receiver that I want to give away. I just disconnected it for the last time this week. Satellite guys refurbished my 920 about 1 1/2 years ago. Had to have a bud out here 25 years ago when nothing was offered. Got one, got scrambled, waited it out, updated the system twice and bought programming for years. Then just had basics on the bud when we had an FTA receiver and small dish--still have that Pansat box too. Now there is very little programming left on the bud from Skyvision and is as costly so we gave up. We want to get rid of all of it and I'm not sticking it in a landfill!

I live in South Rockwood, Michigan off of I-75. I'm about 20 minutes south of Detroit if anyone knows someone that wants a lot of spare electronics they can have it all bid dish, cable, lnb, old 4DTV and Pansat receivers, ditek surge protector, splitter, etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts