leased, owned information please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftaisawesome

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
It's my understanding that all new receivers are leased. I went to ebay to see the prices on new receivers and to my surprise there a couple of it says "owned" HR-24s That raised my eyebrows. I click on it and it says "This unit is owned by me, as a former employee, so no commitment extension would be necessary to activate. Keep in mind that getting one of these receivers through DIRECTV can lead to a two service agreement extension, which subjects you to a $480 cancellation fee! "

It does have a RID number so, is that all you need to check whether it's owned or leased? Do employees just not have to lease their equipment or something? The bid is up to $153 so it's probably not going to be worth buying used anyway but, I'd like to have this information in the ole brain bucket.

You will also have to pay an additional $20 for a new access card even if the receiver is "owned".
Once it has been activated, Direct TV will not transfer the access card to a new service.

Do employees just not have to lease their equipment or something? The bid is up to $153 so it's probably not going to be worth buying used anyway but, I'd like to have this information in the ole brain bucket.

Employees can own and buy at a reduced price. An owned HR24 will sell for nearly $400.

You will also have to pay an additional $20 for a new access card even if the receiver is "owned".
Once it has been activated, Direct TV will not transfer the access card to a new service.

if they screw up they can ;)

Bought a R15 at a goodwill and called to verify it was "owned". I said dont activate it yet as I needed to run 2 new lines and was going out of town. When I came back it had been activated but got an error msg. Called in and a rehit fixed it....same card that was in there from previous owner

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)