Status
Please reply by conversation.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
I know this has been touched on in other threads but I think as a customer we should be more vocal about the price for the season. $219 for the season for NFL Sunday Ticket. StarChoice has it for 99.96+tax for the season. what a difference in price. with the recent pressure about the "HD tax" on the NFL Sunday Ticket which resulted in it being lowered by $51 dollars, why not start pressuring them about the price of the package all together. I have been in rounds with DirecTV for two weeks about it via e mail and on the phone. when I expressed my indifference about charging so much via email, DirecTV ended up calling me about 4 times in the past week wanting to discuss this issue. I finally took a moment and called the CSR back concerning this. DirecTV augured that the price was fair, when I mention that Canada can get the same package for over half price less, she said it had to be the difference between the currency. I told her that when that price was converted into US dollars, it was still cheaper actually around $85 or so in US currency. well this didn't stop her from giving me excuses about the price. I like being more than fair with people and I think it's about time we demand them to be more than fair to the customers. so please contact them via email, letter or phone and let them know it needs to come down or boycott the NFL Sunday Ticket altogether until they do. be nice about and don't get ugly just stand your ground. get your friends and neighbors involved and even start an online petition if need be.

I agree with what you are saying...its way overpriced. But the fact that we live here in America doesnt help. Supply and demand. I'm not saying Candian's are not into American football....but I'm saying that since Starchoice isnt available in America and Directv has no competition...they can charge what they want and get away with it. Do I think its fair? No way. It's overpriced. American's love football...it's our number one winter sport. Canidians..if I'm not mistaken love hockey. And so do I....but even in NY hockey just isnt a huge sport like it is in Canada. It's kind of like what happens during peak travel periods...the price is always higher to fly. Fair...no.

Dear Mr. Brewer,

Thank you for writing. To have exclusive rights to the NFL SUNDAY TICKET we negotiate with the NFL to give you the lowest price possible. I understand how the price might sound like a lot, but NFL Sunday Ticket gives you the most NFL games you'll find anywhere, for a very reasonable price.

Last season, we were able to provide some HD games as a free bonus to NFL Sunday Ticket customers who had HD equipment. But this season we created NFL Sunday Ticket SuperFan as a new optional add-on package due to the high costs to deliver HD programming. High definition is some of the most expensive programming we carry due to what we pay to distribute it and the bandwidth we use to deliver it. This is why we can no longer offer the HD games for free.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our service.

Sincerely,

Ian
DIRECTV Customer Service

((I wonder when they negotiate, they go for the lowest price for the themselves, and how much margin of mark up they pass alond to us??))

I challenge them everytime we discuss this. I ask them to give a legitmit reason why they charge so much for the service. they cannot do it. I will about bet you if cable tv had rights to carry this, they could do it for half of what DirecTV is doing and they know it. if there was no exclusive rights to access NFL Sunday Ticket the prices would bottom.

directv has the rights

directv paid a certain price thru 2010

directv expects to profit from this venture

think this way, the nfl is the best managed sport on the planet. in england you could probably get twice the price for rugby you could EVER get here!

same as soccer (futball) LOL you could never sell that for what the nfl is getting in america. eventually the kids grow up and play FOOTBALL , or become cheerleaders!!
visa-versa soccer is a big hit where they dont brush their teeth,or get showers!! they pay big bucks for little pele' wanna bees, but most euroweenies wont pay top dollar for the nfl.

it is supply and demand

plain and simple

With exclusive rights they have the ability to nail people like me who have grown up loving a football team and then moved away from the area. If you're a diehard fan of a team or a big time fantasy football player, where else can you go?

Unfortunately, unless their subscription rate of the Ticket dramatically decreases (which odds are, it won't) they won't have a "change of heart".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts