Lightning Strike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tf51d

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Hi. Like everyone I'm waiting for the new HD channels. I had everything all ready, H20 receivers, B-Band converters with proper signals (At the time channel 499 with searching for sattelite signal). Last Sunday disaster struck and my house was struck by lightning. Fortunately it didn't cause a fire, but the power surge took out many of my electronic equipment, including my computer, and partially knocked out my directv service. It took out the even transponders on my dish which was the older Oval 5-LNP dish. DirectV reponded in a day and I was back in business, except they replaced my dish with the newer Slimline dish. Which seems to work well except now on the test channels (480,481,498) I'm getting the search for sattelite signal instead of the test response page. I assume by B-Band Converters got fried, and I ordered new ones. However I was thinking, is there a different setting for the slimline dish on the receiver setup than the older Oval dish? If so the technician never adjusted my receivers. He said they were all setup before and should work. Which except for the test channels for the new channels they do. I was just wondering if there was something else they had to do for the slimline dish to see the 103B sattelite. On Saturday (Before the lightning strike) I was getting signals like everyone else was here from 103B, now they are zeroes!
Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

Tom

Last edited:
Lightening strike service calls really suck. Many times more than just the LNB/dish needs replaced. I’m not second guessing your tech just saying. Sometimes things take a while to break the rest of the way after a strike. Or the dish could need tweaked. Either way I’m sure your tech will be almost as “happy” as you to get a repeat service call.

Thanks! Hopefully the new B-Band Converters will solve the problem, if not I'll have to call them back!

Thanks! I'm trying to avoid a claim if possible, I live in FL (Hurricane Central!:)) and our Insurance companies have a history of increasing rates, or worse dropping you all together for any weather related event!! Our State legislature passed so called insurance reform which was suppose to reduce rates earlier this year. It had the opposite effect though, instead of reducing rates, they have increased rates 25% just this year!

Thanks! I'm trying to avoid a claim if possible, I live in FL (Hurricane Central!:)) and our Insurance companies have a history of increasing rates, or worse dropping you all together for any weather related event!! Our State legislature passed so called insurance reform which was suppose to reduce rates earlier this year. It had the opposite effect though, instead of reducing rates, they have increased rates 25% just this year!
It's sad but true you should avoid using homeowners except for catastrophic loss. It's a nice racket the insurance companies have but they can be quick to drop you even after you first claim.
Edit: you should avoid calling them just to see if or what is covered , that can have the same effect as a claim.

It's sad but true you should avoid using homeowners except for catastrophic loss. It's a nice racket the insurance companies have but they can be quick to drop you even after you first claim.
Edit: you should avoid calling them just to see if or what is covered , that can have the same effect as a claim.

You can call that doesn't count against you. Sounds like you had the protection plan through D* and they took care of everything? Sorry to hear about your loss.

You can call that doesn't count against you. Sounds like you had the protection plan through D* and they took care of everything? Sorry to hear about your loss.

Yeah, it really does come in handy! So far except for having to replace a few GFI outlets, I haven't incurred any other expense. I have an Accidental Protection plan for my computer, which covers power surges, so that should be taken care of also! As bad as it was, the damage is either repairable or replaceable. It could have been much worse. A house in the next sub-division next to me just burned down a couple of weeks earlier from a lightning strike! So I consider myself lucky!. I'm going to have lightning rods installed so this doesn't happen again!

Thanks

Yippee! I just received my new B-Band Converters, and installed them, so I'm back in business I only ordered them on Sunday Night online, and they came already! Not bad service!! Thanks guys!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts