List of HD Local Markets NOT Available on Dish Network

ComcastOgre

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
Saint Marys, Ohio
Hey everybody. I thought creating the list of HD local markets not available on Dish Network would be easier than confirming which of all those RSN's is 24/7 and which aren't. I have seperated the ones that are uplinked since they are more than likely coming sooner rather than later. I tried to label as many of the cities that I could that I knew are in line for local HD by the end of the year, and the rankings are based on Nielsen's 2008-2009 DMA rankings. Much thanks to Tony for his HUGE Dish User database that I used to confirm this information. Of course, anybody with any updates about what markets may be planned that aren't marked or any other status updates is welcome to post any information they have. I will do my best to keep this list up-to-date as well.

Local Markets Currently Uplinked But Not Available
DMA #78: Paducah / Cape Girardeau, KY
DMA #97: Davenport / Moline, IA
DMA #102: Evansville, IN
DMA #111: Springfield / Holyoke, MA
DMA #128: Columbus, GA
DMA #136: Monroe, LA & El Dorado, AR
DMA #155: Bluefield / Beckley / Oak Hill, WV
DMA #162: Idaho Falls / Pocatello, ID
DMA #176: Lake Charles, LA

Local Markets NOT Available By DMA Rank
DMA #69: Wichita / Hutchinson, KS
DMA #80: Rochester, NY
DMA #84: Shreveport / Bossier City, LA
DMA #110: Tyler / Longview / Lufkin / Nacagdoches, TX
DMA #115: Augusta, GA
DMA #117: Traverse City / Cadillac, MI
DMA #122: Macon, GA
DMA #131: Amarillo, TX
DMA #134: Wilmington, NC
DMA #143: Lubbock, TX
DMA #144: Salisbury, MD
DMA #153: Bangor, ME
DMA #154: Rochester / Austin, MN & Mason City, IA
DMA #157: Binghamton, NY
DMA #159: Wheeling, WV / Steubenville, OH
DMA #163: Biloxi / Gulfport, MS
DMA #164: Yuma, AZ / El Centro, CA
DMA #167: Hattiesburg / Laurel, MS
DMA #168: Clarksburg / Weston, WV
DMA #169: Utica, NY
DMA #170: Billings, MT
DMA #172: Dothan, AL
DMA #173: Jackson, TN
DMA #174: Rapid City, SD
DMA #175: Elmira / Corning, NY
DMA #177: Watertown, NY
DMA #178: Harrisonburg, VA
DMA #179: Alexandria, LA
DMA #180: Marquette, MI
DMA #181: Jonesboro, AR
DMA #182: Bowling Green, KY
DMA #183: Charlottesville, VA
DMA #186: Lima, OH
DMA #187: Greenwood / Greenville, MS
DMA #189: Lafayette, IN
DMA #192: Bend, OR
DMA #193: Parkersburg, WV
DMA #195: Eureka, CA
DMA #196: San Angelo, TX
DMA #197: Casper / Riverton, WY
DMA #199: Mankato, MN
DMA #200: Ottumwa, IA / Kirksville, MO
DMA #201: St. Joseph, MO
DMA #203: Zanesville, OH
DMA #204: Presque Isle, ME
DMA #205: Victoria, TX
DMA #206: Helena, MT
DMA #207: Juneau, AK
DMA #208: Alpena, MI
DMA #209: North Platte, NE
DMA #210: Glendive, MT

Anybody wanting a local channel list next to each market will not get it. Tony's Dish User webpage will tell you everything you want to know about what's available currently and what's currently uplinked. I just don't have enough time to do that, and I think there are plenty of other resources out there for that information. Just look up (for example) DMA Salisbury or DMA Victoria on Google, and that was the easiest way for me to get relevant results.

Last edited by a moderator:
This list is more specifically for Dish subs since I subscribe to Dish and can more easily keep it updated. Anybody want to create a list for DirecTV?

Poor little area in the North east United States along the Atlantic Ocean. If it wasn't for my creative work, I would not have the big Four stations. :O(

Honestly though, guys. Think of it this way. Some markets are chosen because all other markets are covered in that area and there is STILL space available to add other markets. Not guaranteeing that's how things would play out because a LOT of markets are in that situation I'd imagine...including Salisbury, MD. I just wouldn't completely rule it out, but I would be patient for a year or 2 max.

Poor little area in the North east United States along the Atlantic Ocean. If it wasn't for my creative work, I would not have the big Four stations. :O(

Sad situation for Salisbury, I agree.

most unserved state is NY, I believe
no SD or HD locals

DMA #157: Binghamton, NY

DMA #169: Utica, NY

DMA #175: Elmira / Corning, NY*the entire state of PA. is covered except for 1 county in Elmira mkt.*

DMA #177: Watertown, NY

It would be interesting to see this list cross-referenced with DirecTV's list of HD DMA's.

I live in DMA #83, and I know that DirecTV says that they will have HD Locals here within the next 30 days. As a Dish subscriber, my hope is that Dish will have to follow suit soon after, though I know there are many markets wehre this isn't the case.

I'd be curious to see how many markets are served by one but not the other.

What would be really nice is if Dish had this list on their website, with notes for each DMA as to when the HD Locals will be available or an explanation as to why they aren't or can't be brought online. I'd think that would answer a lot of questions that users have, especially in 'problem' markets where it's not entirely Dish's fault for not having the local HD's.

I am working on a much better list and will be posting it here in a few days. It's definitely gonna take a bit of time. I think everybody will find it informative though.

Yeah, I noticed a few of those mistakes working on the new list. Don't worry everybody. All the city and state labels will be right and I'll be done with the list in a few days.

sorry if this is a newb question, but im in DMA#55 - Fresno, CA, since its not uplinked, does that mean its planned to be uplinked, or is this just a list of markets that aren't uplinked regardless of plans? thanks

thanks for the response...one day i hope it happens....directv has had it for quite a while now so...eh....thanks again

What would be really nice is if Dish had this list on their website, with notes for each DMA as to when the HD Locals will be available or an explanation as to why they aren't or can't be brought online. I'd think that would answer a lot of questions that users have, especially in 'problem' markets where it's not entirely Dish's fault for not having the local HD's.

What would be really nice is if Dish would be honest with their customers, period. But it doesn't happen. Over the summer Dish announced a list of DMAs that would be in HD by July 30th. They put on about one of them beforehand and one after, with no explanation of why the rest weren't done or exactly when they would be.

#101 was recently added by D according to a work cohert now receiving those channels in HD. When I saw a similar list some time back I coulda sworn that DMA was then listed as #85, but of course I could be mistaken. Are these ranked by size, and how often do they change...?