LNB adapter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

funkypc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2008
North America
I finally got my 30" SC dish (its actually 30 inches wide, 33 inches tall - I suppose I kinda expected that, being offset and all)
Anyways, it didn't come with an LNB. It came with an LNB holder that looks like it's meant for a 57mm throat. I will have to order an LNB, as the one from my 60e will not work, so I am wondering if:
a) there is a decent LNB with a 57 mm throat that I could order
b) if there is a different LNB holder
c) if I should use PVC pipe or something else to shim a 40mm lnb to fit.

Option c would not be to hard by looking at the lnb holder, but I figured I would ask about the other options before ordering an LNB.

Thankyou

ahh yes the flashlight LNB holder

Sadoun has a LNB that would fit it
Tele-Comm T-1500 Standard Linear Offset LNBF LNB

Otherwise you could get a regular lNB and wrap duct tape around the throat to fit the LNB in the holder

That holder was used for a stacked LNB (aka the flashlight model)

Attachments

• lnbfFlash.jpg
    lnbfFlash.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 295
  • lnbStacked.jpg
    lnbStacked.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 238
That looks to be a decent LNB you posted.
It says feed diameter is 40 mm, and then it says feed diameter is 50 mm. this will it my ~57mm LNB holder?
It also says NF ~1.0dB. NF - is that noise floor? I didn't know there was any LNBs with 1dB noise floor.

Has anyone used this LNB - is it decent?

just because its 1.0 dont let that stop you. I've seen .8 or .9 LNB's beat "claimed" .4 N/F a few times :)

Exactly... I have a .9 NF Norsat with an extremely stable (+/- 100 mhz) local oscillator which equals my Invacom .3 in performance :) Moral of the story, noise factor isn't the only contributing factor to quality :)

I've installed and worked with a number of these dishes. I've yet to see one with a stacked LNB. Only ones I've ever seen up to now have an adapter in the holder for what looks like a 25mm California Amp standard LNB that only have one output on them.

It took me a while to get one of these dishes that had the holder AND the LNB. The the LNB on this particular one acts all funny in that is has to be skewed about 27 degrees farther than expected before it will pick anything up. Works though.:)

Otherwise you could get a regular lNB and wrap duct tape around the throat to fit the LNB in the holder

Duct tape...sheese....next thing I know you gonna tell him to use tie wire to hold the LNB in place...:rolleyes:;);););):D

My favorite shim is plastic pipe. Split it with a hacksaw and there ya go. Get the proper size to fit around your LNB, of course. It also has the added benefit of not flattening like tape will. :)

Duct tape...sheese....next thing I know you gonna tell him to use tie wire to hold the LNB in place...:rolleyes:;);););):D

I was just testing a new lnb today while I was home for lunch. I dropped one of the screws that holds the lnb bracket in place and I couldn't find it. So I did what any self-respecting tinkerer would do - zip-tied the lnb inplace!

PVC pipe LNBF adapter? If you heat the split pvc pipe in a toaster oven set to 200 degrees for a minute or so it will mold around the LNBF neck and make a secure fit. Wear gloves, it's hot.

ahh yes the flashlight LNB holder
That holder was used for a stacked LNB (aka the flashlight model)

The stacked LNBF (the second picture... the one with only one coax connector i.e. Beer Can) is larger diameter than the dual flashlight LNBF (first picture with 2 coax connectors).

Just use some plastic pipe and tape and whatever else you have to fill the gap. Works great adapting my Invacom Quad to my 1m StarChoice dish.

Ok, I got another LNB holder for this dish - I guess he found a spare one. This one is 50mm diameter, the other one is 57mm diameter. So that's perfect - I have what I need, and that LNB I ordered should fit nicely in this holder.

Ok, so the LNB came in yesterday. So I installed it with the new dish (using the 50mm holder - no duct tape required!) and attached it to my SG2100. I also upgraded my satellite mount to an Xplornet satellite internet mount - its not moving anywhere.
I just used my little satellite finder to lock onto my true south. I am now getting a better signal on most TPs, and picking up many channels I could not get before with my 60e.
I still have to take a small TV and receiver onto the roof to peak the dish and LNB and hopefully I will be able to get an even better signal. I am picking up channels from 72W to 129W. Now I'm all ready for the hockey season to start.
HPIM4660.jpg

HPIM4661.jpg

HPIM4662.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so I was on the roof with a TV and my CS5000 trying to get the most out of my setup. I tried changing the dish angles and messing with the LNB. The LNB seemed pretty forgiving. I had a range of about 20 degrees I could skew and it didnt seem to make any difference. Also focal distance. I might have got 0.5 Q from adjusting it, but really I had an inch to play with and not much difference. I'm not sure if I have a problem or if this is what I should expect. Here are some Q figures I am getting on the 5000 - 1.00 factory firmware.

I'm at about 50.6N - 97W

97W - true south
12177V - 72-73 (strong transponder)
11866V - 62-64
11777H - 63-64

123W - G18
12114V - 71-73 (Retrojams)
12021H - 72-74
11732H - 62-64
11933V - 20-61 (Won't lock)

107.3W - Anik F1
11948H - 84-85 (this is the strongest transponder I have seen)

I was on the roof burning my feet on the hot shingles for like an hour, and I cannot get more than like 1 extra quality point of any of those numbers. Is this what I should expect from my setup?

Last edited:
Looks good to me, if you have good stable video. Not a lot of clearance from lnb-arm to roof there , is it? lol
Long as it works!!
Ready for hockey season also.

ya, I had to extend the top of my satellite mount with a short pole so the dish would clear:(
Actually, the tightest clearence was between the back of the LNB support and the base of the satellite mount. Right now the clearance is about ~5mm.:D
I hope I don't have to many issues with snow....

Anyways, I kinda was hoping to get higher Q values on the CS. Threshold is 63, so a lot of the TPs listed above are unwatchable... Now obviously I picked some of the weakest TPs to give an idea of what I'm not getting...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)