lnb frequencies

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

quasimodem

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Marlow, New Hampshire
Well, I finally got my system up. I took my time over three days.
I got my mast dead plumb, set the elevation for the motor, set the declination once the dish/motor were mounted. Pointed to what I determined to be true south. This is my first FTA setup, I've set up tons of DTV and Dishnet systems before...but I'm dripping wet out of the shower new to FTA.
I was a bit disappointed to find no signal quality on my first try, but it's the end of the day, I don't have much daylight left to do any fine tuning.
One question I have is about lnb frequency. (I'm trying to hit AMC6 at 72w.)
I have an Invacom QPH-031. I thought the frequency for ku band for this lnb was 10750. Yet, when I enter this on my Viewsat set up window, I get no signal strength. If I change it to 5150, I get around 65 strength, but still no quality.
I'm not too concerned about the quality until I do some tweaking, but I'm a bit confused about the lnb frequency...
does anyone have any thoughts on this?
if I change the lnb frequency to 10750, do you think I will be able to tweak the position of the dish enough to get quality/strength?

((here's what I've got:
36x39" DMSI Hotdish, InvacomQPH-031 quad lnb, sg6000 motor, Viewsat Ultra))

The LNB Freq is 10750.
Make sure you are connected to the "L" port on the QPH031.
Then, make sure you have a know Active TP selected in the Setup Menu.

The LNB Frequecy should be at 10750...are you sure you're putting it in the right place?
I dont have a Viewsat so I dont know how those menus are...hopefully someone can chime in

thanks
I'm sure I'm on the linear port, I marked the leads carefully.
How come I'm getting quality with the 5150 setting and nothing with 10750?
I'm also certain I'm entering the frequency in right place...
hmm?~!

This sounds like the transponder frequency that is programmed into the Viewsat is between 3700 and 4200. In the antenna setup screen, there will be some indication of which TP frequency you are currently looking at.

You'll want to remove that/those (it's probably in a different menu... back up one and look for TP setup or something like that) and put in a good valid transponder like:
Frequency: 12143
Polarity: Vertical
Symbol Rate: 2573.

This sounds like the transponder frequency that is programmed into the Viewsat is between 3700 and 4200. In the antenna setup screen, there will be some indication of which TP frequency you are currently looking at.
Yes.
Make sure you have the AMC 6 "Ku" selected.

You'll want to remove that/those (it's probably in a different menu... back up one and look for TP setup or something like that) and put in a good valid transponder like:
Frequency: 12143
Polarity: Vertical
Symbol Rate: 2573.

thanks very much...
I think I'm on the right track now.
after manually entering 12143 (with lnb freq. at 10750) I am now at least getting a signal quality of 65.
Perhaps now when I tweak the dish I can find some quality.
you made my day.....
I'll post back tomorrow after spending some time on the roof....

one other thing...
you mentioned to make sure that the satellite was ku...
I was just assuming that the all sats I am looking at in the menu are ku...
but most of them have a "c" after the sat number (AMC6/C)
is this a C band bird? does anyone know how to view only ku band sats in the menu
if this is the case?

Yes, that's "probably" a C Band Sat.
When you go in the Setup menu, look down to the TP freq, if it only has 4 digits, it's C Band.
Most C Band Sat names will have a C, but not 100%.

Yes, that's "probably" a C Band Sat.
When you go in the Setup menu, look down to the TP freq, if it only has 4 digits, it's C Band.
Most C Band Sat names will have a C, but not 100%.
thanks, so, if I change the TP frequency (and I assume I can find these at lingsat) then the cband sat is now the ku band sat?? (like I did with amc6)

Last edited:
That seems a bit overstated, I think. You're not going to be getting any C band with your setup, quasi. You don't *need* any C band information at all. A name is just a name, and it contains no useful information other than for the convenience and pleasure of the human reading it.

There is almost always a way to change the name. I'm not sure how the Ultra works, but check under Installation > Channel Scan.. there might be an option at the bottom to change the name.

It might be more instructive (and accurate) to think of different "satellites" in your receiver as different LNBs. If a particular satellite had both FSS and DBS signals, despite being both Ku Band, you would need to use 2 satellite slots in your receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)