LNB Frequency Drifting

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you have the same problem with different lnbf's and receivers, then you need to look at what's left. Try removing the switch out of the system and see what happens. Check that all coax connectors are still firmly crimped and the connectors are hand tight on the receiver, switch and lnbf. If this only happens when there's a major change in the weather (like after a rainstorm), then maybe the coax is getting water leaking into the insulation. Good luck.

That sure sounds like intermod.... Are there any higher power (city wide) internet transmitters close? Rusty power pole braces or guy wires in LOS? But those should drift up and down, not always up... Tin roof or siding with loose screws and not bonded to earth ground? Power line ground clamps loose?

OK, I am an OLD ham with experience with that kind of problem on UHF and also some experience on telco. microwave - particularly unbonded equipment racks, towers and steel buildings.

Strange one indeed. The next thing I would try is temporarily bypassing the switch and motor and testing to see if doing so has dramatically reduced the drifting. If not, I would then rig a temporary run of known good coax from the receiver direct to the LNB.

I had a coax cable connector where water entered the cable and coroded the braiding which makes the shielding. I had to cut back the cable 6 inches to find clean braid.

My suggestion, replace the cable ends, and only use water proof compression fittings.

Another idea. I had a dish very similar to yours. Since it does not have support arms on the LNB arm, I found that the LNB would get out of line very easily. Transporting the dish or high winds the LNB on my dish was off center. But in your case maybe the focal distance is off?

In the many years of satellite service, I have not observed a coax cable, motor, switch (or any other in-line device), dish aiming, skew, Focal Distance or focal plane placement affect the LO frequency.

We have repaired receivers with faulty tuners or power supplies and replaced LNBFs with factory defect or drifting LO frequency, but never determined the fault to be generated by in-line devices.

Give me a PM and we will send you a courtesy Standard LNBF for testing and comparison. Just cover the USPS postage and it will be on the way .... Would be very interested in the testing results!

Problem solved SatelliteAV! All transponders now on the right frequency.
I was surprised at the small size of this LNB. This little LNB packs a punch. I would recommend it highly! Thank you a million times for your help Brian and also to all those who responded. :clap :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)