LNB Frequency Drifting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gary Z

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
Seguin, Texas
I have tried the following 2 LNBF's the XtremeII Standard 0.3dB LNBF and the BSC321S LNBF and I get frequencies to drift every month I have to rescan.

I believe it is not the receivers, I have tried the Traxis 3500, the Neusat 6000 and now the Visionsat IV200 PVR Plus. 3ABN's frequency is 11822 and I scan it it now at 11842 every time I have to rescan the number goes higher. Is there a stable LNBF that will not drift? :confused:

The XtremeII was under warranty and they replaced it but the new one did the same. Then i got the BSC321S and it did it also. I never claimed the warranty on it.

What would be a stable LNB?

20 mhz drift?
On both LNBs?
You sure ya have the decimal point in the right place?

What sort of environment do you have the LNBs operating in?
Both electrically, and thermally/physically.

something doesnt sound right. I have had the same LNB"s on my setups in some cases 3 years now. Being in MN we get both the really cold (-30F) and the warm (99+...I dont say 100 because according to the weather people we NEVER hit 100 here and when we do its like a party for the weather folks....) and the LNB drifts maybe 1 or 2 on a blind scan

Yes 20 mhz drift so far.

I don't know what you mean by electrically. I have the receiver plugged in to a standard 110v outlet with the receiver supplying power to the LNB.

The outdoor temps have been about 93 degrees. With no rain in a in over 2 months.

I can blind scan and get all the channels again but it seems strange I have to do it every few weeks.

20 mhz drift?
On both LNBs?
You sure ya have the decimal point in the right place?

What sort of environment do you have the LNBs operating in?
Both electrically, and thermally/physically.

I'm at a loss as to what it could be? The coax maybe bad? but I get good signal G10R in the 80's and g35 in the upper 70' to low 80's signal strength.

something doesnt sound right. I have had the same LNB"s on my setups in some cases 3 years now. Being in MN we get both the really cold (-30F) and the warm (99+...I dont say 100 because according to the weather people we NEVER hit 100 here and when we do its like a party for the weather folks....) and the LNB drifts maybe 1 or 2 on a blind scan

By "electrically", I meant what sort of switches, boosters, wiring do you have.

By "thermally/physically", I mean do you have a heated shroud over the LNB, are you mounted under a waterfall, do you have a dish you've repainted with highly glossy paint, or anything else out of the ordinary?
Is you neighbor coming over once a week an roasting your LNB with a blowtorch?

What you are describing as happening with two LNBs (three?) is outrageous.
Reminds me of the old joke of putting gas in the neighbor's new car gas tank, and listening to him brag.
Thenn stopping it, and waiting to see what says. ;)

I agree. Something just doesn't sound right. The fact you're getting good signal quality but the frequencies are off is weird

LNB LO is set to 10750 right?

I have one 2 port DiSEqC switch... no heated shroud over the LNB, and no to all the rest.

See the picture.... It is another LNB then in the pick but everything else is the same.

By "electrically", I meant what sort of switches, boosters, wiring do you have.

By "thermally/physically", I mean do you have a heated shroud over the LNB, are you mounted under a waterfall, do you have a dish you've repainted with highly glossy paint, or anything else out of the ordinary?
Is you neighbor coming over once a week an roasting your LNB with a blowtorch?

Attachments

• Photo002a.jpg
    Photo002a.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 137
Gary, you have been trying all these tests from the same wall outlet, right? Just for the heck of it, run a temporary electrical cord to a different circuit.

Yes it is from the same wall outlet. I will have to try that.... you think maybe the circuit it is on has something wrong?

Gary, you have been trying all these tests from the same wall outlet, right? Just for the heck of it, run a temporary electrical cord to a different circuit.

Gary, just an idea. I have a travel trailer and have had issues. Did some handy wiring in the house and have seen weird things as well. Just try it. Not saying is what it is but worth a try? Just an idea, I would check out.

One other thing you can try is adjusting the LO frequency to compensate, so that the transponder frequencies are "correct".

I've never seen one off by 20MHz before but this has worked for me for smaller drifts.

you mean like enter a LO of 10770 instead of 10750?

One other thing you can try is adjusting the LO frequency to compensate, so that the transponder frequencies are "correct".

I've never seen one off by 20MHz before but this has worked for me for smaller drifts.

Gary, there is something just not right happening. Chase your tail all you want but it will not help. Bump this thread up and there is a lot of good help here that will help you solve things. Give it a day or two and you will see the good folks here will come together and get this solved if you give good information back this way.

if your receiver is scanning the freq 20mhz higher then it should be then raise your lof/h 20mhz higher.

I agree though with everyone that thats way off. im never surprised with these mass produced lnb's to see 1 or 2mhz off. but 20 ? wow. thats WAY off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)