Local BestBuy this morning

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
I've noticed there are about 2 rows of Blu-ray movies, and only 1 row of HD-DVD movies.
Another thing, I've been in the Best Buy home theater section, and pretty much all TV's have a Pioneer/Panasonic BR players with them , I've seen a big BR player too, I think its a BR RW player, I may be wrong I didn't get close enough, but it seemed huge for a standard BR player.
My main reason was I got a Gift Card for Christmas to spend @ Best Buy, bought CoD4 for the PS3, I still have around 30-34$ left on the Gift card, I am planning to use it to buy Fantastic 4 rise of the silver surfer, unfortunately I didn't see any on the shelf. (Jessica Alba is hot)
Anyways cutting the the point, I have a feeling Best Buy is going 80% Blu-ray and 20% HD-DVD.

Also since I was at Best Buy, I've seen a stupid amount of PS3's being sold and bunch of 360 Premiums, I've seen few elites, but looks like people are picking up the 360 premium more for some reason, and it comes with 2 games, the marvel game and Forza 2.
I thought at the beginning that those 2 games came with the elite system only, but looks like they are coming with the premium systems too.
Good to see consoles are selling very well even after Christmas.

Let me know what you guys see @ your local Best Buy's.

Sounds like the Chicago area BBs. They all seem to have shrinking HD sections and expanding BD sections. I won't go near my local store for another week or so. It's a madhouse around them.

The big BD player, are you sure it wasn't a Sony? Those seem unnecessarily big.

I don't think it was a Sony, I am 100% sure I've seen either Panasonic/ Pioneer, very nice looking, I don't think it was a sony BD player.
Plus it seemed like it was that size because it looked like it had RW in it.
I've seen the Pioneer Elite TV, man that TV kicks ass, It looked like it was a 60+ inch TV, PQ was superb, but then it was in a dark room (the theater section is dark with couches I would have loved to sit there and enjoy the movies, few people were, but I didn't have time..)

Every Best Buy can be different, for example there are three of them within 20 miles of my house here in Michigan, the ones in Westland and Novi has 3 sections of BR and two of HD DVD, the one store in Ann Arbor has two sections each for both formats, I have read reports that some has 3 to 1 favoring BR and some that are 3 to 2 favoring HD DVD.

Went to my local BB on Monday (12/24) to get a last minute gift certificate and a Wii game for the little one. There were 4 shelves for BD and 4 for HD-DVD. The main isle of the TV section had a BD player hooked up to a 42" and a little futher down a HD-DVD player hooked up to a 42" also. Looked pretty balanced to me.

Best Buy in Las Vegas has one whole asle of HD glory on one side it's the blue team the other red team and both have 4 shelfs. So they have every US title for both in BD/HD catalog

Toshiba is the sole CE for HD DVD players, and I usually only ever see them displayed on Toshiba televisions. Likewise, you usually see the same brand Blu-ray player with the same brand tv set.

As far as shelving software, Best Buy seems to do it on a individual store basis. However, there are currently 53 more titles released on Blu-ray (443) than HD DVD (390) and if current trends continue that disparity will grow and I'd expect shelving decisions should follow suit.

Went to Best Buy tonight in Knoxville. The shelves are 2:1 in favor of Blu-ray with another Blu-ray stand at the checkout line. I didn't check out any of the HDTV displays.

The BB near me (Manchester, CT) has a triple section for both formats. They also have an HD-DVD end of aisle display with the 3 Toshiba machines and some discs, as well as the same thing for Blu-Ray with Sony and Samsung players. In the Magnolia, both are represented, although you have to search for the players. At least at this store all things are equal.

My BB gives the apperence that its many more BD because of the way they stack the movies flat so you can see the front cover which takes up 3 sections. Where as for HD DVD they stack them side by side so you can only see the narrow side except new releases, taking only one section. But it appeared to be near the same total for each format.

Most of the BB's in my area have equal sections or lean Blu. However, I tend to buy movies from Fry's or Wal-Mart. They are both equal. However, Wal-Mart tends to be rather lazy about restocking the HD-DVD side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)