Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Does Directv allow locals from 2 different markets? The area we are looking into the local cable co has locals from Tyler and DFW. I was informed DISH does not do this but was curious if Directv did.

Nope, it's the same for DirecTV...either keep (limited) basic cable, or get an antenna for the other set of locals.
You can add an OTA tuner module to any of the DirecTV HD receivers & those OTA channels will be seamlessly integrated with the satellite channels in the guide. (FYI, DISH offers a simliar thing &/or has a couple receivers with the tuners already included...)
BUT, understand that NONE of these will work with cable signals - ONLY (digital) OTA ones.

Directv does but in very extreme cases....I just checked the D* site and neither Tyler nor Dallas have any SV status set up

Thanks for checking on that for me. Where we are looking to move to we are about 40-50 miles from Tyler and about 80 to Dallas, as the crow flies.

Directv does but in very extreme cases....I just checked the D* site and neither Tyler nor Dallas have any SV status set up

They do here Ice, but only sd, and not the entire slate of channels. I get channels 2,4, and 5 from NYC, but not in hd. Some parts of CT get Providence RI channels, and the ne section of the state gets them from Boston.

I guess I'll have to give up Dallas locals to get satellite when we officially move. The local cable company is Suddenlink, and it wouldn't be so bad except they use craptastic Motorolla boxes which I hate. My wife isn't looking forward to rain fade but I'm hoping a finely tuned dish will prevent that from happening a lot.

They do here Ice, but only sd, and not the entire slate of channels. I get channels 2,4, and 5 from NYC, but not in hd. Some parts of CT get Providence RI channels, and the ne section of the state gets them from Boston.

interesting. My case is Mankato, MN (about 90 miles SW of Minneapolis). They are a one station (well now 2) market. CBS & Fox subchannel. The funny part is the stations studio is in a county that is considered the Minneapolis market. That zipcode gets Minneapolis locals (all of them) and KEYC CBS in HD. Directv doesnt carry the Fox station because they had KEYC up before they added Fox. Mankato proper gets KEYC CBS and the other 3 stations from Minneapolis

Mine is in HD though.....

I guess I'll have to give up Dallas locals to get satellite when we officially move. The local cable company is Suddenlink, and it wouldn't be so bad except they use craptastic Motorolla boxes which I hate. My wife isn't looking forward to rain fade but I'm hoping a finely tuned dish will prevent that from happening a lot.

rain faide does not happen much anymore. in extreme cases you lose signal for a few minutes.
heck even during a hurricane it didnt go out until the power went out

Status
Please reply by conversation.