Locked betweem Limits?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
I have a GI 2730R (no manual) that I am setting up with 9 meter solid dish that I just got and set up.

I have been having trouble with getting the actuator to move the dish. Found the the motor frozen and a bad ball bearing in the ram. Got the motor freed up and replaced the bearing with new. Also cleaned and greased the screw. It runs fine on the work bench off 12V (slowly) or 24V car batteries.

I put it on the dish and hooked it to the 2730 but the click counter never moves. Stays at the same setting that the STB was at went I got it.

I went back to the actuator (no MFG name) and re-did the wiring to the Hall Effect thingy. The terminals strip is rusted beyond use and so spliced these connections. Re-checked all my wiring, still no movement.

Last nite I stumbled thru the menus and found the E-W limit section and while messing with them, I ended up with both set to the same count position that the box has for current location. East Limit = 5468, West Limit = 5468 and Current Position = 5468.

I can't find the procedure to unlock these limits and doubt I will be able to move the dish until I do. I don't want to "Clear all Memory" if I don't have to since I will loose all the previous Sat positions programed in. (I only relocated the dish from a 1/4 mile away.)

Any help (or 2700 series manual) would be appriciated.

Steve

Opps! Now it's Locked up!

Well! Working from the menus (still no manual), I cleared all memory and began the reinstall process by setting the East & West limits. Went fine for the east limit, however the actuator's west mechanical limit switch wasn't set properly and the ram ran against the end of travel and stalled the motor.:rant: Before I could reverse direction, the GI 2730 locked up. No response to the remote. SAT, C-Band & right Channel Lites are on. Neither EAST or WEST or Channel front panel buttons work. I can switch between SAT/TV and some minor functions inside the front door (all they do is turn on/off their function light.

I noticed a circuit breaker on the back and tried pushing that, No noticeable change. I have tried pushing/holding different combinations of front keys to effect a reset. No luck.:confused:

I even opened the top cover and looked for a fuse or some other clue but nothing there either.

I hate to give up since while I was moving between East and West I saw several video and sound as I passed some Sats. I also find the user interface and scan function are much better than the Toshiba I have.

In fact, I ended up using the Toshiba to do further tests of actuator and the mechanical limits.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to do a reset of this box??

Steve

Steve
not sure how much it will help the GI 2400 & 2410 are low end models and the manual is in the manual section. the GI 2730 is just a higher end version with a few more bells & whistles
probably vcr programing ( it moves the dish when you set the timers so your vcr could record shows while you wasn't watching) so i bet the basics are very close on these two models.

the master codes are as follows

General Instrument Receivers
GI 2400, 2410, 2500 and 2600
With the memory lock light off, simultaneously press the alpha, num, and store keys for 5 seconds. The front panel satellite display will show a "star" and a "dash" after the sequence is complete.

2650 and 2700 Series 92121 - enter
GI 350i, 450i, 550i, &650i 92121 - enter
4DTV 92121 – enter

hope this helps

I have a GI 2730R (no manual) that I am setting up with 9 meter solid dish that I just got and set up.
Steve

Wow that a that's a 28-foot dish.

Pictures Please!!

an did not know that dishes that big used actuators.

2730R Reset?

gabshere:

I have looked at the GI 2400 manual and there is a major diffrence in that the front panel of the 2730 has no display or Alf/Num keys. Only a couple function keys mentioned earlier. I haven't found any combination of these that will cause a reset.

I got the remote working and the receiver is getting the signal and flashes a light on the front. However, there is no video output to the TV so I can't tell if the menu is coming up. The E/W functions don't cause any response on the receiver either.

The remote has a display that (so far) only shows SAT, TV and SET. However, I haven't seen the "SET" displayed since the receiver locked up.

I'm going to play around a bit more with the remote and maybe I will hit on a key combo that does something.

Thanks

Steve

GI 2730R revived

As previously reported, this unit locked up while setting the actuator limits. The receiver wouldn't respond to any front panel or remote function or resets. Just a couple lites stayed on and the Sat. movements 'didn't happen' . I tired various button combination along with power down, etc.. Nothing.

Well tonite, I figured I had nothing to loose and removed the cover and looked for some form of reset jumpers. None. After removing power, I removed a circuit board jumper. Nothing. Finally, again after powering down (always), I went to the CPU board and pulled the operating system eprom, set it aside on static foam and then powered up again. All the front indicator lites came alive but, of course, no functions. I then reinstalled the eprom and repowered again the receiver responded as it should with no signal input or other connections than power.:)

I next hooked up the A/V to the TV and got alot of static noise, normal.!! Then I hooked the dish motor controls and press the E-W buttons on the unit, then on the remote. WALLA! Things were happening at last.:)

After hooking up the C and Ku cables I sat down in my easy chair and began setting limits and found the menus to be the same as the 450i and that was great since I never did found a manual for this 2730.

I now have a couple sat programed in and find this receiver is better than the 450i or my Tashibox units. I think I will end up using it with my 905 sidecar.

Its great to be a hack in elex and no fear of pulling a couple chips. No big loss if it didn't work and great receiver since I did.:D

Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts